Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 AM

719 posts, read 1,334,028 times

Advertisements

I have definetly considered moving to Houston primarily due to the Economy, low cost of housing, and honestly the city seems so grand in terms of size. What has discouraged me, is it seems as though Houston is a boring place to live. It seems as though there are many outdoor activities to do, and Galveson with an hours drive away, but I always see people make post about Museums, and Nasa... What about an Amusement Park, Water Park, Theatres. I'm 21, and I love to go to clubs. Are there a diverse array of clubs? Are there outdoor concerts in the Spring and Summer? Also, are there places to go where you can shop outdoor, and walk around without a car... I know Houston is very car-dependent, but it would be nice to at least have a section of town that is live, and is not car-dependent...Please let me know, becasue I'm coming from Atlanta, and feel like we have more to offer in life besides just work, but all answers about Houston would greatly help!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,223,994 times
Houston area has Miller outdoor theatre that does mostly plays, and Cynthia Mitchell Woods in the Woodlands that is mostly concerts. There are a number of performing arts venues including the Alley and Wortham theatres downtown which host concerts, ballet, plays and other performances. We don't mention movie theatres because they are very common. There are also plenty of clubs and bars everything from sports bars to pubs to numerous dance clubs and well...if you are looking for restaraunts, there is just about every kind of ethnic and american traditional food available.

Most folks when they come to the board are loooking for somethin they can do during the day while visiting, hence the suggestions you have been reading.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM

49 posts, read 206,750 times
there's a lot of things to do in Houston...I guess you just need to ask the right person for that...different people have different taste on what to do...

i do know that lots of my co-workers go clubbing almost every night...i can see their pictures on myspace and they talk about it too....hahaha

poltracker is right about the outdoor theaters...and i think every saturday they have something going on at hermann park...lots of people walk around there...

if you live near west university you will find rice village which is a strip mall...you can shop and look around to shop and eat and they even have a couple of bars around there that's very popular every night...i guess because its just right down the street from the Rice University and Medical Center...

there's also Jillians and Dave and Busters...those are good...if you want to have a good dinner and listen to some bands i know lots of restaurants around westheimer or richmond that have one during the weekends and stuff....its been a while since i cruised around at night, so it might have changed a bit, but not a lot...

there are a lot of stuff to do in Houston...just have to check it out what you're interested at....hope it helps a bit...have fun!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 PM

106 posts, read 307,374 times
In terms of clubs there is a wide array however you may not find them all clustered in the same area. I've been to hiphop clubs, latin clubs and even two Jamaican clubs in Houston. There are other types but that's the type of music I listen to so that's what I was looking for. I've also gone out to a piano bar and a country bar in Midtown with friends from school.

I'm West Indian and during the summer there are top Soca acts that visit Houston. There is a West Indian carnival as well but it is young and the food is better than the costume bands unfortunately lol.

I'm just putting this info out there to show that whatever you may be interested in, even something that may seem as obscure in Texas as Caribbean cultural events, you can probably find it in Houston.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:23 PM

48 posts, read 189,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I have definetly considered moving to Houston primarily due to the Economy, low cost of housing, and honestly the city seems so grand in terms of size. What has discouraged me, is it seems as though Houston is a boring place to live. It seems as though there are many outdoor activities to do, and Galveson with an hours drive away, but I always see people make post about Museums, and Nasa... What about an Amusement Park, Water Park, Theatres. I'm 21, and I love to go to clubs. Are there a diverse array of clubs? Are there outdoor concerts in the Spring and Summer? Also, are there places to go where you can shop outdoor, and walk around without a car... I know Houston is very car-dependent, but it would be nice to at least have a section of town that is live, and is not car-dependent...Please let me know, becasue I'm coming from Atlanta, and feel like we have more to offer in life besides just work, but all answers about Houston would greatly help!
Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. and has all the things you'd find in a city of that size. Plenty of clubs, water parks, out door venues. Every musical act known to man comes through Houston, they have ever sports known to man. Yes.

It's all here.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
In terms of clubs there is a wide array however you may not find them all clustered in the same area. I've been to hiphop clubs, latin clubs and even two Jamaican clubs in Houston. There are other types but that's the type of music I listen to so that's what I was looking for. I've also gone out to a piano bar and a country bar in Midtown with friends from school.

I'm West Indian and during the summer there are top Soca acts that visit Houston. There is a West Indian carnival as well but it is young and the food is better than the costume bands unfortunately lol.

I'm just putting this info out there to show that whatever you may be interested in, even something that may seem as obscure in Texas as Caribbean cultural events, you can probably find it in Houston.
Thanks Rasta! I'm glad to hear that. I too am West Indian and from the Caribbean so it will be great to have some of the Islands in Houston...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 PM

759 posts, read 3,186,088 times
with in a 10 mile radius of downtown you will find every type of club imaginable... hip-hop, dance, techno, metal, country, blues, piano bars, biker bars, yuppie bars, after hour places, etc. (Life was good as a young single in Houston)

Plus you have the museum district, If you want to see native Texas exhibits you have Brazos Bend State Park, George Observatory, etc. etc. etc.

hope this helps:
Houston Nightlife: Houston Nightlife Reviews by 10Best
Houston Attractions & Activities
Best Houston Restaurants: Top 10Best Restaurant Reviews

Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 PM

43 posts, read 173,869 times
Default coolie & rasta

Here's something to make yall feel at home. Apparently it's a new roti shop on the north side of Houston. Carib-Tex Roti Shop on Aldine Mail. I can't vouch for how good it is since I haven't been yet, but it definitely adds to the cultural whole of Houston. Definitely not a boring city. Oh by the way, the only reason I know about roti is because my parents are both from Trinidad.

And...
Waterpark - Splashtown (in Spring) & Schlitterbahn-Galveston
Nightlife - Richmond Ave (Galleria Area)
Other fun - I've heard really great things about Kemah Boardwalk

Old 06-28-2008, 11:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jfre81/pix051.jpg (broken link)

Nope, nothing to do here.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txedghill View Post
Here's something to make yall feel at home. Apparently it's a new roti shop on the north side of Houston. Carib-Tex Roti Shop on Aldine Mail. I can't vouch for how good it is since I haven't been yet, but it definitely adds to the cultural whole of Houston. Definitely not a boring city. Oh by the way, the only reason I know about roti is because my parents are both from Trinidad.

And...
Waterpark - Splashtown (in Spring) & Schlitterbahn-Galveston
Nightlife - Richmond Ave (Galleria Area)
Other fun - I've heard really great things about Kemah Boardwalk
Amazing! All that definetly changes my perspective of Houston. Not to mention Roti? I'm definetly have to relocate now. Houston seems like it does have everything!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston