Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:41 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,027,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
IMO, it all depends what you are looking for. If the beach and swimming in the Gulf is your top priority, then South Padre it is (or as suggested by others above, go in the other direction to Orange Beach etc, for 2-4 hours' more drive). If the seaside atmosphere, restaurants and things to do are your priority (as they are mine), then there's little reason to go to Corpus or South Padre (especially when considering how much easier it is to get to).

FWIW, I have never been bothered by, or even seen, any noteworthy "thug" or "riff-raff" elements in Galveston.
Galveston is a more hard-lived and gritty town. Lots of homeless and riff-raff. You can avoid it by not going out at night. It is a city people live in that tourists go to rather than a primarily tourist town hence the grittier feel and residents. Slowly changing as beach-dreaming transplants move in or air bnb investors buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 06:38 AM

I don’t really know anyone who goes to beach in Corpus. They either do South Padre or Port Aransas. South Padre is okay for a weekend but any longer and it’s boring as there isn’t much to do other than the beach. Restaurant choices are super limited and most seem all the same.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:55 AM

281 posts, read 128,140 times
Default I agree

Its a 9 hour drive to Florida and 5 1/2 to SPI. I will gladly go the extra mile to get to Pensacola. I go to Pensacola because it's closer than Destin and is the same Beach. Pensacola has pristine Emerald waters and Sugar white Sand. The beach is immaculate and surreal.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times
Do you think it is a good idea to rent a small studio and spend weekend or even a week in Galveston,I like the smell of ocean breeze .
Do they have good internet connection?

Old 07-08-2023, 07:13 PM

Default Pensacola

If I'm going on a beach vacation I prefer Pensacola. It has beautiful beaches and historical parks plus Palafox and Seville Square. It can't be beat.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:15 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don’t really know anyone who goes to beach in Corpus. They either do South Padre or Port Aransas. South Padre is okay for a weekend but any longer and it’s boring as there isn’t much to do other than the beach. Restaurant choices are super limited and most seem all the same.
North Padre at Corpus is nice.

South Padre isn't developed like Galveston or for that matter Destin.

Most of Padre Island is completely undeveloped. Its if you want to do the beach in a relaxed place. And if you want to do something, there is the Brownsville Zoo and I believe Harlingen has an aircraft museum. You could venture to Matamoros. Its just a lot nicer beach than Galveston.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:20 PM

Default Water clarity

If that water in Galveston stayed clear like it was last month. There would be no reason to go anywhere else

Old 07-09-2023, 04:47 PM

93 posts, read 68,492 times
CC, or SPI, respectively, have nicer shores and crisp waters for vacaters or spectators, but even so, Galveston is a good enough beach city to visit every now and then.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:37 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,249,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Its a 9 hour drive to Florida and 5 1/2 to SPI. I will gladly go the extra mile to get to Pensacola. I go to Pensacola because it's closer than Destin and is the same Beach. Pensacola has pristine Emerald waters and Sugar white Sand. The beach is immaculate and surreal.
THIS. Destin distance requires a week to make it worth it. Living in SW suburbs, SPI is no more than 5 hours away, which is fine for a long weekend. Destin is nicer, but SPI is more tropical and has far nicer water than Galveston.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
South Padre has a lot more and the water is always much better.
Corpus Christi typically has better water. But not always.
South Padre has a prettier beach and clearer water than Galveston but a whole lot less to do if you are looking for off the beach things. Unless you are content with mostly bars as off beach activities and restaurants that primarily serve the same thing. In all fairness, it is a very small strip so it is limited in what businesses it can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston