Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 123,442 times

Advertisements

We are working on our next vacation plan and need some help. We are planning to drive down to San Antonio from Dallas, stay there for couple of days and then head out to a beach for few days. I was trying to find out a good beach and came across these three names.. Now that we need to finalize, need help to ensure that we hit the right place. Any suggestions? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Since much of a vacation's success is also related to the comfort of living amenities: I offer these thoughts:

I don't know if Galveston is fully recovered from Hurricane Ike (2008), perhaps someone from the Houston area can comment on that.

Corpus Christi beaches are divided into two areas, CC proper and Mustang Island/Port Aransas. My preference is for the island beaches, however I live here and don't have to stay in a hotel/motel. I have heard both good and bad about rental condos. Before I moved to CC I used to like to stay at the Sunday Villas.
Sunday Villas - Welcome

The waters will be cleaner at South Padre, the fishing generally better, and the beaches less crowded. Here are a list of resort reviews for you to look over.
South Padre Island Hotels: Read South Padre Island Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

I hope you have a great time.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
From San Antonio it is a 5 hour drive to get to South Padre Island and a 4 hour drive to Galveston. It is only 3 hours to Port Aransas. The beaches in South Padre are a little nicer but not worth the extra drive in my opinion and there is lots more to see and do around Port Aransas. There are more touristy things to do, such as museums, in Galveston, but the beaches are lousy.

You can look at these areas in goggle maps satellite view to get a good idea of what the beaches are like.

At South Padre many of the hotels are directly on the beach and cars are not allowed on the beach, so it is a short walk from your hotel to the beach. The sand is nicer and the water is usually less silty that far south.

At Port Aransas most of the hotels are behind the sand dunes with boardwalks leading thru the dunes to the beach. Cars are allowed to drive on the beach so you can either carry all your beach stuff out to the water, or pack it in the car and drive over. We used to stay at the Beachhead Condominiums when we visited there. They have a great freshwater pool as well as nice views of the beach.

At Galveston the hotels are on the north side of Seawall Blvd. So you have to cross the roadway if you walk to the beach. The Seawall is a concrete wall that protects Galveston from storm surge off the gulf. The beach is narrow strip of sand between the gulf and the Seawall, we thought it was a big disappointment when we visted there. You can drive your car over and park along the Seawall to take your beach stuff to the beach. I was told years ago there is a nicer stretch of beach up at the NE end of the island, but looking at the area in google maps it looks like there is very limited road access and much of it was washed away by Hurricane Ike.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
As noted above, if you like museums and nice restaurants then Galveston is great, but the town and the beach (seawall) is pretty gritty.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Even though I'm a CC resident, and think I'm living in paradise. There are many blessing to confer on our beaches to the south. South Pradre is great if you have friends with 4X4 trucks , i suggest a couple of friends with 4x4 and some chained all time,,, like in the dame is not always fun.

These guys ,, can an save you,,,,,,I love Predre Island

Get lost with the hostility, and we will find you. We might find you in the mist of a battleground

Last edited by jbtx; 06-04-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,681 times
South Padre Island is the better one, beach-wise. I believe from beach access #5 upwards, you CAN drive your car up to the beach and even set up a tent to spend the night on the beach. I used to do that once or twice a year in summer.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Rockport has the best beach of any of them. Won some Blue -Ribbon Award for the best of the 61 Texas beaches. There is a migratory bird area across the street - a salt water pool too. The water is very shallow so you can go pretty far out. Not as much a party beach as some others though and Rockport does have more men than women.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM

197 posts, read 796,888 times
Rockport and Mustang/Padre are way cleaner than Galveston. Yes, there is a lot to do in Galveston - but there is a lot of seaweed on the beaches right now. Head 3-4 hours south along the coast, and the water cleans up a little.
I just came back from Pensacola/Gulf Breeze....so there is really NO comparison...LOL

Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
At Galveston the hotels are on the north side of Seawall Blvd. So you have to cross the roadway if you walk to the beach. The Seawall is a concrete wall that protects Galveston from storm surge off the gulf. The beach is narrow strip of sand between the gulf and the Seawall, we thought it was a big disappointment when we visted there. You can drive your car over and park along the Seawall to take your beach stuff to the beach. I was told years ago there is a nicer stretch of beach up at the NE end of the island, but looking at the area in google maps it looks like there is very limited road access and much of it was washed away by Hurricane Ike.
Accessibility is fine out that way and those beaches are large.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Rockport has the best beach of any of them. Won some Blue -Ribbon Award for the best of the 61 Texas beaches. There is a migratory bird area across the street - a salt water pool too. The water is very shallow so you can go pretty far out. Not as much a party beach as some others though and Rockport does have more men than women.
Only in high school.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi