Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 09:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Now Houston isn't Dearborn, MI but there are plenty of Middle Easterners (Arab/Persian) here & have been for awhile ...
I know. What I’m saying is Houston isn’t as known for Middle Eastern community as it’s known for the other communities I listed. Despite having a sizable one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 07:22 AM

223 posts, read 261,718 times
Default +Cameos

Also enjoyed the cameos in the show, especially Bun B as the priest in the really well done Episode 3.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:54 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Could be the one in Devers, Texas…about 70 miles from Alief.

https://setexasolive.com/
A reasonable commute by Houston standard then.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:48 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
A reasonable commute by Houston standard then.
He drove to Galveston and back in one episode... yes a reasonable commute...

Old 09-01-2022, 11:01 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
You’re right. Even the Arab clique includes a Jew. The sister married a Canadian. The girlfriend’s best friend is Indian who married a White guy. And the olive grower is White. Is there really an Olive farm near Houston?

Show is very Houston. Hope Netflix picks it up for another season.
I was wondering about the Olive Farm too. At first I thought he had driven to RGV.

I hope it gets picked up for another season too. I have heard that Netflix has been brutal in cutting shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
That part struck me as inauthentic. The Hill Country? yes, but SE Texas is probably not that hospitable to olive trees. I even bought one at Greek Festival before and it died within two weeks. Looks like the closest one in Texas is close to Schulenberg.
One of my cousins on the SW has a 6ft tree. She has had it for a few years and never seen any olives, lol. But it's alive.

Quote:
He drove to Galveston and back in one episode... yes a reasonable commute...
I loved the Galveston shots. That view of the pier from above was sexy. Even the view of the 45 bridges when he was leaving Galveston was good. They are spending time getting good angles. The one of downtown from the north was good too . I don't think I have ever seen that view before. They got TMC and Greenway in the background in that one.

I didn't like the shot of downtown from over the Museum District though. Midtown needs a lot of work.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:54 PM

20 posts, read 8,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I have repped you like 3 times this month but I finally found a post I disagree with.

If there is one area that Houston is lacking is good PR.
The attention that Atlanta and even Dallas has been getting helps with their sustained domestic popularity.
Houston needs this.

That show is a walking advertisement for Houston. The main character is consistently wearing Houston Shirts and hats, the scenes of Houston are beautiful.
That shot down Fannin/main towards TMC was beautiful. Houston looks scarce from too high up, they find the sweet spot where they capture areas that look their finest. Even in scenes where they show the highways they are done very tastefully.
And the food. Omg some of those dishes makes me want to take a to Houston.

I agree that the story is great, but a great story can happen in a landfill. The true gem is the portrayal of Houston.
Dallas gets love from the country because there isn't really anything exciting to hate. Dallas seems to follow the rules. They seem to try to keep up with the Jones more than houston.

I've always felt like houston gets hated on by national media unfairly.

Just look at harden. When he played in Houston he was hated. His style of game was criticized. But as soon as he went to Brooklyn and Philly, the narrative changed.

Plus the astros cheating don't help.

But the reality is that Houston has contributed more to American xulture than Dallas. Even the western world adapted so e of Houston culture.

But I think it's better to be hated and loved than loved all the time.

I feel like Houston carries Texas when it comes to pop culture.

Dallas isn't.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerKing View Post

Just look at harden. When he played in Houston he was hated. His style of game was criticized. But as soon as he went to Brooklyn and Philly, the narrative changed.
No… he definitely hasn’t. In fact. I’d argue the hate for Harden has got worse after last playoffs.

Harden got hate for the high profile playoff choke jobs. Not for being a Rocket. The excitement you’re talking about from being traded is just a general excitement that happens when trades are made. That excitement also happened when Westbrook became a rocket. Then the playoff choke jobs followed Harden in New York and Philly and the narrative for Harden is the same. Not sure what NBA you’re watching?

Old 09-02-2022, 02:52 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerKing View Post
Jesus Christ, you are going to use Harden as an example
The King of "ball hog"

Besides, who cares what the national corporate news media think
I like the fact that they don't like us, that means, they stay away from Houston

Old 09-02-2022, 03:06 PM

I’ll never understand these Houston sports fans. If the media doesn’t the Rockets like a dynasty, they’re biased. Yet they aren’t a dynasty, so why would they?

And they’ll they bring up how the media treats New York and LA teams and…. Ummm. That’s New York and LA? What do you expect?

The fact they think the media is treating harden any better in Philly is a pure example of that. If you don’t see how bad Harden got wrecked on following the last 2 playoffs, it’s because you aren’t paying attention. And the reason you aren’t paying attention is probably because you want all the attention.

If you want to talk about success that gets unnoticed in the NBA, look at the Jazz and Nuggets. Houston isn’t New York that’s why it’s not treated like New York.

Fortunately, the younger Houston sports fans don’t seem to bleed to follow this so atleast the mentality is changing.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
That was one poster tho.
I don't think you can paint the entire city's fans based on one poster's post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston