Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 AM

433 posts, read 1,930,614 times

Advertisements

This might be a weird question. In some of the burbs of Chicago they usually have a downtown where it is pedestrian-friendly and there are shops, the library, train station, park, etc. Is there something like this in Sugar Land? I really like to walk to the supermarket/library/schools vs. drive. Are there any walking/biking trails? Itried to find a map but it looked like in 2005 they were planning trails (but I couldn't find if they had been constructed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
There are so many cars and so much traffic in Sugar Land, some of the areas seem too busy to be pedestrian-friendly. However, some of the most pedestrian-friendly places I've found here are Sugar Land Town Square and then there are extensive walking trails inside each master planned community. First Colony and New Territory both have trails winding through their developments.

First Colony is so centrally located, you could walk to more retail locations than you could from New Territory. In New Territory, residents walk to schools and parks and to the New Territory Club but there isn't much retail over here compared to First Colony.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Growing up in the 90s, the closest thing to "downtown" was by the sugar factory, post office & train tracks. Where Burney turns into Main (used to have a painted mural on the bridge), and the cross-streets are numbered 1st through 7th St, except for 3rd St which is Lakeview. There are very old houses here in nice shape worth a good penny.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
The area tstone is talking about is off 90A between Highways 6 and 59.

Sugar Land was once very much its own town, and a lot of the outer exurbs have at least some reminders of the town's identity before it became "suburb of Houston."

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

I've been so far removed, I really don't recognize a good chunk of Sugar Land anymore. Down 6 from 90A to 59 used to be 3 traffic lights, and past Hwy 6 down 59S was nearly barren grassland. The First Colony Mall was fairly new (as the Westwood closed its doors). ''Downtown'' was the area I already mentioned, where all those streets are crammed by the traintracks. Some of those street names are named after folks who were important figures in establishing the town in the 1800s.

Compared to when I left for college in '96, it's a different town now. If transplants consider a cluster of parking garages and retail shops as "downtown," Sugar Land has officially lost its identity IMO.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If transplants consider a cluster of parking garages and retail shops as "downtown," Sugar Land has officially lost its identity IMO.
Ouch. As one of those transplants, I should probably ignore this remark. But since other transplants may be reading this to make decisions about whether to come to Sugar Land, here's the alternative perspective on those parking garages and retail shops. Last month my husband and I had a rare date night when our children went to "Parents' Night Out" at their preschool. We went to Amici at Sugar Land Town Square for dinner, walked around afterward, and then sat outside drinking coffee and talking for awhile. Lots of people were out and around and they were friendly and it was NICE.

Sugar Land really isn't the type of small town with a Main Street, for sure. I didn't live here before so I don't know what has been lost but this version is quite pleasant in many ways, too.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 AM

433 posts, read 1,930,614 times
Topaz- that sounds like what I was looking for. We have 2 preschoolers as well and I would LOVE a parents night out! There's no pricetag on that! Isn't it funny how- even on the rare occasion we are out alone as a couple- the conversation turns to the kids? We have to consciously talk about topics, ha ha. Our current topic is moving to Houston, so that is fun! I'm going to miss having my parents so close to watch the kids though!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Ouch. As one of those transplants, I should probably ignore this remark.

Wasn't a stab at you personally. Just putting that out there. I just read this for the first time a minute ago:

Sugar Land, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...This town square is an ironic symbol of the recent surge in suburbs creating fake, corporate sponsored downtown areas. In the case of Sugar Land, the real town has been ignored and deconstructed by many of the recent transplants in the master planned subdivisions..."

Looks like someone hi-jacked that section with the exact same complaints.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sugar Land, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"...This town square is an ironic symbol of the recent surge in suburbs creating fake, corporate sponsored downtown areas. In the case of Sugar Land, the real town has been ignored and deconstructed by many of the recent transplants in the master planned subdivisions..."

Looks like someone hi-jacked that section with the exact same complaints.
This is a seriously subjective opinion masquerading as fact. I don't know how Wikipedia works. What is the process to challenge such a statement?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM

You can just go in there and change it. There are discussion boards for each article too. Look across the top of the page on those tabs. Some pages have problems being vandalized, and they are locked. (Wikipedia is not a good research tool for academia.) But growing up on the SW side and in Sugar Land, I wholeheartedly agree with the statement, but these things should NOT be in wikipedia. They should be on personal sites that come up when you google "fake downtown Sugar Land."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston