Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,259 times

Advertisements

I have been driving during traffic hours from Sugar Land to downtown Houston and it's not bad at all. I was going over 60 miles per hours pretty much all the way on I59.

Once one gets to I59, it would take about 15-20 minutes to get to the center of down town. Why do people complain about traffic in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Why do people complain about traffic in Houston?
Hard to say. I certainly spent more hours stuck in traffic in Los Angeles, Seattle, and Portland. My schedule is more flexible now, though, so I can avoid peak traffic times and routes.

My husband says that he sees awful traffic on the Beltway headed toward Sugar Land in the morning and out of Sugar Land in the evening. We can't figure that one out. Do a bunch of people work in Sugar Land but live toward Pearland/Friendswood/Clear Lake? The commute isn't so bad leaving Sugar Land in the morning and coming back in the evening.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
I think traffic depends upon the time of day that you come or go. I come in from the Clear Lake side and think the drive is a breeze but others say its awful -- I go in early.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

95 posts, read 338,278 times
Quote:
I have been driving during traffic hours from Sugar Land to downtown Houston and it's not bad at all. I was going over 60 miles per hours pretty much all the way on I59.

Once one gets to I59, it would take about 15-20 minutes to get to the center of down town. Why do people complain about traffic in Houston?
Keep in mind that traffic will likely get worse when everybody's little turds go back to school.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Hard to say. I certainly spent more hours stuck in traffic in Los Angeles, Seattle, and Portland. My schedule is more flexible now, though, so I can avoid peak traffic times and routes.

My husband says that he sees awful traffic on the Beltway headed toward Sugar Land in the morning and out of Sugar Land in the evening. We can't figure that one out. Do a bunch of people work in Sugar Land but live toward Pearland/Friendswood/Clear Lake? The commute isn't so bad leaving Sugar Land in the morning and coming back in the evening.
I was going type the samething. I was horrible during 4-5 pm on I59 from Sugar Land to Downtown. Cars were parked on on the highway for miles and miles. But, my commute anytime from 6:30 am - 8:30 am from Sugar Land to Downtown was smooth and from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm from Downtown to Sugar Land was very smooth too, but I can see the traffic going the other way though. Weird. It's like Sugar Land is the downtown and Houston is the residential area.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeshia View Post
Keep in mind that traffic will likely get worse when everybody's little turds go back to school.
Yes I agree, wait until school starts then estimate your time commute.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times
About a mile northeast of Sugarland is the Belfort Rd. Park & Ride on the 59. You don't have to leave so early in the morning to have a 20 minute ride in the rapid transit lane downtown. Also save a ton on gas and auto maintance. It's become so popular lately the the buses just line up one after the other - the only wait is for the bus to take on a load of passengers.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM

182 posts, read 768,385 times
Quote:

I've thought the same thing, but I think some of the complaining is based on how 59 USED to be. The expansion was only done in the last couple years and from what I'm told (I've been here a year) 59 was terrible for the longest time. So there's probably a residual dislike in a lot of people's minds that don't use the road daily.

However I can attest that it will get worse once school starts. The summertime traffic is much relaxed. Even so, it's generally fairly clear before 7:00 and after 8:30, which relative to most of the arteries around here is quite good.

Now, if we could only fix the west loop southbound....

Old 08-01-2008, 01:32 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
U can take US 90ALT from Downtown and Medical Center its about a 20 min drive to Mo City/Sugar Land never backed up.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,432 times
I think people will complain about traffic in any large sprawled out city. Is there any city that really has free-flowing freeways at the rush hours? At least in Houston they have repeatedly expanded the freeways that become bottle-necked. Nearly all of Hwy 59 through Sugar Land to Humble+ has been totally rebuilt over the last 10 years. The Katy Freeway has been a major headache for years, but now we're mere months away from its expansion being totally complete... what other city could pull off a 3 billion dollar project in just 5 years? Something that massive in such a short time is probably almost impossible in any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston