Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,939 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will spend a year in Houston area with my family and I have two questions:

Question #1: I did some research and found that the following neighborhoods are good for families and safe:
A-SugarLand
B-Pearland
C-Woodlands

Is that accurate? I will work at University of Houston, so I prefer to live within 30-40 mins driving range. More importantly, I care about safety and being in a good elementary school zone for the kids.

Question #2: My two kids are raised outside the U.S., so I am wondering if there is any ESL courses during the summer to prepare them for the next academic year.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 06:17 AM

694 posts, read 835,762 times
Pearland is the closest, and the only one in your 30-40 min time range. Sugar Land is about 45 mins from U of H. The Woodlands is too far from the University of Houston for any kind of reasonable commute.

Sugar Land is one of the safest small cities in Texas, The Woodlands is probably also considered quite safe. Pearland is safe, but with slightly higher crime rates than Sugar Land or The Woodlands.

Don't know about the others but FBISD in Sugar Land is quite multi cultural and offers summer programs for English learners.

https://www.fortbendisd.com/Page/675

https://www.fortbendisd.com/Page/131913

Old 04-28-2022, 03:05 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
The Woodlands to University of Houston is a hell of a commute, not in a good way

Old 04-30-2022, 02:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,939 times
Thanks for the information folks. I guess I will start looking for a stay around Sugar Land. Since I'm not going to commute daily, I guess 30-45 mins twice/week should be fine.

I just realized that based on Texas educational system, my son will go back to kindergarten instead of 1st grade.
Do you know if private schools will admit him to 1st grade if I bring his KG's certificate of completion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston