Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 PM

564 posts, read 2,049,191 times

Advertisements

For better or worse, Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros) is easily the quirkiest ballpark in Major League Baseball. Gaps, angles, gadgets, anomalies and distractions really lend a reminder to the old ballparks of the early 20th century. Some of it may seemed forged, though. In any case, even if you aren't a baseball fan, it's a good place to hang out and to just enjoy a crowd. There are a lot of non-baseball activity taking place during an Astros game, and the food at MMP is above average as far as MLB parks go.

In the meantime, even if it's in the 90s with 50% humidity, visiit the new Discovery Green downtown. It has developed into a bit of a social scene with the two restaurants, the fountains, reflection pool, trails and such.

Also, visit the quirkier side of Houston, such as the Beer Can House. I wish the Implosion House on Montrose was still up, as it is quite the site, but I digress.

Also, take a tour of Houston Heights (including Woodlands Heights) for a taste of Houston's early suburban history and the effort put forth to preserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 PM

759 posts, read 3,190,095 times
Take them to a ball game. minute maid Park is just fun. My wife, who can't stand baseball, loved it. Spend time in downtown (bars, clubs etc.) If you are downtown early you can, as previously mentioned, walk around the tunnels then go to the game. Aquarium restaurant downtown at Lunch is different too. No screaming kids.

There is always NASA too.
Sounds geeky, but the first time anyone that visits NASA, they are blown away!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,850,355 times
I haven't been here long enough to know the exact recommendation but I can't imagine a girlfriend vacation without a spa day...massages, pedicures, fancy lunch, etc.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM

16,719 posts, read 17,493,229 times
The thing about Houston is though it may be totally baking outside, if you go to the mall, the ballpark, restaurant or whatever inside, you'll need to wear something warm!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,132,046 times
lots of 'what to do in houston' threads. it all just end like this
take your friends to austin

Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,850,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The thing about Houston is though it may be totally baking outside, if you go to the mall, the ballpark, restaurant or whatever inside, you'll need to wear something warm!
Goodness, that's so true! I've learned to carry a sweater in the car because it is FREEZING cold in all the restaurants here.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,446,793 times
Remember that Houston has the second most theater seats in the nation, second only to New York. Catch a show. Our museums are also top notch. The Houston Museum of Fine Art was able to show the Metropolitan Museum of Art's permenant collection during their renovation, the only art museum in the nation that was up to the Met's standards to allow the art to travel.

The Astros will also be playing, Minute Maid Park is one of the nicest venues in America for a baseball game. If you want some country craft shopping, go to Old Town Spring on the North side (make sure to stop by Donny Hickmott's art gallery and say hi).

I know its kind of a chain, but there is a "Howl at the Moon" bar here. Its a quirky and fun piano bar that is totally run off of requests from the audience. Its very interactive and girls/women LOVE to go there (my wife has a blast there). Make sure to get there right before 8:00 PM to comfortably be able to choose seats and start a tab. The place is usually rocking by 10 PM. Google it to find the driving information/map on how to get there. It happens to be right in the middle of mid-town, home of most of Houstons best bars/clubs, easily within walking distance.

Have fun!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:24 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
Considering you are only visiting for a weekend - I wouldn't suggest Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels - it is not close and is not feasible to go back and forth between New Braunfels in Houston for one day when you only have a weekend stay.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:07 PM

960 posts, read 2,755,713 times
I agree with texas7. Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is only for the Houstonian die-hard folks like me (season-pass owner). It's too far for a weekend trip but might work with a 1-2 week vacation.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 PM

151 posts, read 642,114 times
Thanks for your posts - I'm a little overwhelmed and very excited about showing them all that Houston has to offer. They should just come down now...who wants to wait until July????

Keep the suggestions coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston