Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 21,147 times

Advertisements

I'm new to houston and trying figure out plans for the 4th of July. I know that they are having a festival at Eleanor Tinsley Park (which i've never been to). I'm looking to avoid big crowds, but still get a good view of the fireworks. Are there any secluded areas in the park that would be away from everyone and still have a good view?

If not, what about Discovery Green, Memorial Park, or Hermann Park? Are they open at night, and would we be able to get a good view of downtown/the fireworks there?

Any other suggestions or advice for the 4th of july would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by claydavis; 06-19-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,306,019 times
You can go to one of the parking garages dt that are open or go early and sit on bridge over Waugh. I suggest getting a blanket and dont worry about crowds...lay back and enjoy the celebration on the hill off Allen Pkwy.
Check Discovery Greens website and Im sure Hermann Park will have something at Miller.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 PM

3,600 posts, read 3,110,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
You can go to one of the parking garages dt that are open or go early and sit on bridge over Waugh. I suggest getting a blanket and dont worry about crowds...lay back and enjoy the celebration on the hill off Allen Pkwy.
Check Discovery Greens website and Im sure Hermann Park will have something at Miller.
We always go to the display at Hermann Park. There is usually a symphony concert at dusk (Miller theater), and the fireworks can be seen from anywhere in the park. It is much less crowded than Eleanor Tinsley, and the fireworks are not as intense, but it is a much more relaxed atmosphere. Park a few blocks away from the park to avoid the traffic mess.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:01 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,256,554 times
Yeah you can't go wrong with Hermann Park. The concert along with the fireworks makes for a very satisfying experience.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,664,186 times
The best thing to do is park on the side of I-45 right by downtown. You can get an amazing view of the fireworks that way. Lots of people do it and the traffic is slowed down at that time so it really isn't very dangerous. I find it way better than going to Hermann Park or going downtown and having to spend hours looking for parking.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM

When you guys talk about seeing the fireworks at Hermann, are you talking about the same ones that they shoot off over downtown? Or does Hermann shoot off their own fireworks?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM

also, who here has been to the 4th of july at hermann? How were the crowds? Can you still see the fireworks if you're walking around the lake? Sorry for all the questions... but your help is appreciated

Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,388,011 times
you have pictures of old 4th july in Houston?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydavis View Post
When you guys talk about seeing the fireworks at Hermann, are you talking about the same ones that they shoot off over downtown? Or does Hermann shoot off their own fireworks?
Hermann has a different fireworks display.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydavis View Post
also, who here has been to the 4th of july at hermann? How were the crowds? Can you still see the fireworks if you're walking around the lake? Sorry for all the questions... but your help is appreciated
We walk to the park from the neighborhood and watch them from the fountain at Main and Montrose. There are usually several dozen people doing the same as us. The park is very large, and there are more crowds at the Miller theater. If you do not mind missing the concert there are plenty of empty places at the park to watch. Parking at the park itself could be a problem, but there is usually plenty in the neighborhood nearby if you don't mind walking. It is very safe, as there are a lot of people around, and the neighborhoods are usually safe otherwise anyway.

As I said earlier, the fireworks are no where as impressive as along Buffalo Bayou, but it is much less of a hassle than going to the big display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: