Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM

27 posts, read 61,436 times

Advertisements

Easilyamused, The woodlands property tax rate is not high at all compare to katy or pearland. 2008 Average combined tax rate 3.02% including HOA.

Real Estate Property Tax : The Woodlands, TX Real Estate | Michele Flory & Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I agree. But what I was trying to say, the whole point of moving to The Woodlands, for most people, and paying excessive Fees and Taxes is for the "wonderful" public schools.

You can live anywhere for less taxes and fees if you're going private. There're great private institutions all over the Houston Metro. Choose a nice neighborhood near work, the school will follow.

But take note, the application process for private usually begins the November before the applied school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 PM

40 posts, read 203,118 times
Quote:
Wow, so true!
I also agree.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM

40 posts, read 203,118 times
Quote:
KEWL-That whole, if you don't like a place you're jealous argument always makes me laugh. Sometimes people just don't like an area or really find something wrong with it. Every place is far from perfect. The Woodlands, and probably other areas, have some real social issues that's probably due to the constant transfers and transient people.The average length of residence is 3-5 years.
One size does not fit all. One town/city/state doesn't either. I lived in The Woodlands for over a decade and left. I found somewhere more suitable for me. I still go there sometimes and know people who love it. I don't, so I no longer live there.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM

25 posts, read 71,087 times
I've been to the Woodlands only once, but I think it's a very nice area. Full of trees and trails. It just seems that the area is very well kept, and people are proud to be from there and are steadfast with regards to keeping it clean and safe. I find that rare these days. Why people criticize the area, I don't know. Maybe they are more educated on Houston suburbia than myself. With that being said, I've go there over any other suburb in the Houston area.

Just my 00.2

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
Why people criticize the area, I don't know. Maybe they are more educated on Houston suburbia than myself. With that being said, I've go there over any other suburb in the Houston area.

Mostly it has to do with commute. It's just not worth it unless your spouse works in say, Huntsville. Also people in Houston have lower tolerance to commute times than people from LA. 1.5 hrs each way is normal there, but is the absolute very worst here and is reality if you live in TW and commute to one of the 3 big business areas of Houston.

On the other hand, some people prefer the materialistic, social climbing games in the city vs. in the suburbs. If you prefer to hold your wine glass with your pinky in the air in Upper Kirby vs. TW, by all means do it.

Another reason that I brought up in another thread is that the area is 90ish % white with a high median income. It therefore makes the 'diversity & tolerance' crowd uncomfortable. Apparently you may be asked about your church attendance by your neighbors, which is actually something I never experienced growing up. Not in the SW side nor Sugar Land, & not in my adult life on the S & SE sides. Essentially TW is a broke liberal's worst nightmare... and there are plenty of those on the blogosphere.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 PM

38 posts, read 109,653 times
Cooper is a great school if you have an exceptionally brilliant child - and I mean BRILLIANT. The course work is tough and the expectations are college level. The teaching style is the Socratic Method so if your child is reserved, it might not be a good fit. Cooper can be very discouraging to the above average student. Competition amongst students is fierce and the same kids win the academic awards every year.

Cooper has a great sports program and because the school is relatively small, each student is encouraged to participate. Not every child who tries out for a team makes Varsity, but just about every child who wants to participate has that opportunity on a "B" team or JV team. Baseball, soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis, and swimming are all sports where Cooper has excelled. Parental involvement, although not required, is expected.

Cooper also has a fantastic Arts program and students consistently win awards on both the local and State level. I'm not sure about their music program. There are an abundance of clubs in which to become involved.

Cooper is expensive. For 2009, the upper school tuition is approx. $17K - not including books or other fees. The most important thing my child learned while at Cooper was how to study. When she went away to college, while other students were struggling with class loads and labs, she sailed through without any problems. College level work was a breeze and in some instances, much easier than Cooper!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 PM

130 posts, read 455,711 times
One of the best of schools. Students do excel there. If you want your kids to have close access, look in Indian Springs where the school is located. There is a fairly wide range of prices from about 160k to the millions. The school is easily accessed by foot, bicycle or automobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston