Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times

Advertisements

The thread was started in 2006, and until yesterday had not had a post since 2008. So, things may have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Well how is the crime now in Houston and all over?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well how is the crime now in Houston and all over?
This thread was started in 2006. There was a noted influx of crime associated with Katrina refugees and New Orleans gang sects emigrating from NOLA to the Houston area during that time. The posts related to "rising crime in Sugar Land" were ignorantly tied to this association and were probably referencing the Sugar Land mailing address but non-Sugar Land proper areas of the city (NE Sugar Land).

However, within a year a majority of that ilk, especially the organized street gangs, had generally moved back to Louisiana, as Texas (and as a result, Houston) showed no mercy when handing down punishments to drug dealers & murderers (whereas Louisiana has a harder time pressuring these same criminals). They found out bail was not nearly as easy to attain and skip out on, and decided to go back home instead.

What's left is pretty much what was here before, coupled with a mix of white flight in some areas and gentrification/white in-fill in others.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Crime is still pretty high with or without Katrina victims. Funny of course that some Houstonians think the spike in crime is a result of outsiders. What about now? Why is it still a bit high?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
I think whatever crime contributed by NOLA settled in Pearland.
Sugar land would probably choke to death and be the future 'asian' town
Katy has that all-new/new frontier feel which is what southerners go for. I'd pick Katy if/when I move... it's still a hard choice to suck up to another 13mi of commute+HOA extreme tho

Old 11-08-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Crime is still pretty high with or without Katrina victims. Funny of course that some Houstonians think the spike in crime is a result of outsiders. What about now? Why is it still a bit high?
That's not a "thought", that's actually a fact.

Louisiana Gangs That Fled Katrina Heighten Houston Murder Rate - Bloomberg

They even did an episode of Gangland about this influx/exodus of NOLA residents to/from Houston.

What is "a bit high" to you? The crime rate is trending downward.

Crime Statistics Show Decline In Houston Crime Rate « CBS Houston

There will always be crime in cities; we are the 4th largest in the country, and this is one of the unfortunate consequences.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I think whatever crime contributed by NOLA settled in Pearland.
Sugar land would probably choke to death and be the future 'asian' town
Katy has that all-new/new frontier feel which is what southerners go for. I'd pick Katy if/when I move... it's still a hard choice to suck up to another 13mi of commute+HOA extreme tho
Pearland and "Asian" town references aside, Sugar Land is its own city and in charge of its own destiny. The fate of the ubiquitous "Katy" area (much of which is incorrectly identified - it's actually Houston ETJ) will have to face the same struggles other unincorporated areas have seen for decades. Developers will dictate the direction of the area, not a city council (unless these areas are annexed by a city proper).

Here's a map:

http://mycity.houstontx.gov/public/?sid=1

That said, both are nice areas and are pretty safe from my experience. They offer similar amenities and opportunities, but aren't duplicates of one another and do vary to some degree from one another.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 AM

37 posts, read 86,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Pearland and "Asian" town references aside, Sugar Land is its own city and in charge of its own destiny. The fate of the ubiquitous "Katy" area (much of which is incorrectly identified - it's actually Houston ETJ) will have to face the same struggles other unincorporated areas have seen for decades. Developers will dictate the direction of the area, not a city council (unless these areas are annexed by a city proper).

Here's a map:

City of Houston My City - Map Viewer

That said, both are nice areas and are pretty safe from my experience. They offer similar amenities and opportunities, but aren't duplicates of one another and do vary to some degree from one another.

It's still beyond me that some people are still thinking that Katy is city as Sugar Land.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horn892002 View Post
It's still beyond me that some people are still thinking that Katy is city as Sugar Land.
Katy is a city. With their own mayor, police and fire dept. there are people who say they live in Katy when they don't actually live in the city of Katy. It seems anyone that is zoned to Katy ISD considers themselves living in Katy.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiovo View Post
katy is a city. With their own mayor, police and fire dept. There are people who say they live in katy when they don't actually live in the city of katy. It seems anyone that is zoned to katy isd considers themselves living in katy.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston