Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,946 times

Advertisements

The Bridgeland is actually going to be in three different school districts. Katy I.S.D., Cypress I.S.D., and I think Waller I.S.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,313,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
I find most of the crimes are in the south-west area of houston? Am I right?

SW Houston means the southwest of Houston proper. I think SW refers to the area between 610 and the Beltway or thereabouts.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 27,449 times
Default Katy

I would choose Katy. I lived the last two years in both SW Houston as a student at Houston Baptist University (Highway 59@ Beechnut St.) in the school apartments. I could hear gunshots from my apartment room at least twice a week on some occasions. HPD had to step up patrol because it was the worst crime increase in the city- the HPD Fondren unit was the cops I saw on patrol. I lived in Sugarland (NORMAYBURN ESTATES NEIGHBORHOOD) the previous year and moved away after the end of that school year because my neighbor's house was robbed twice in a matter of 7 months. I live in the Katy area now (I-10 @ N. Barker Cypress). I am outside the Houston city limits but have a Houston address. This is KISD and I like the school district. My neighbors watch out for me and they bought me a gift when I had brain surgery last fall.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 21,650 times
Default Bridgeland in Katy ISD?

I don't think Bridgeland will be in Katy ISD. Where did you get this info?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,313,955 times
"The development is in the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. A portion of it near Katy Hockley and North Longenbaugh is zoned to the Katy school district."

quoted from the following...

Bridgeland development may have 21,000 homes | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

additionally, from the bridgeland's own site...

Bridgeland, new homes in Houston Texas with preschool, private and public schools and continuing education (http://bridgeland.com/education.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by cla; 06-10-2008 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,431 times
Default Sugar Land Vs Katy

Here's my two cents... I moved from El Paso to Sugar Land at the begining of summer, and the first thing I found was a house rental black market of sorts, so be careful as to which realtor you are gonna use to find a place. First of all, Sugar Land rent is very... very expensive, I am talking 20% more expensive than Katy.

Sugar Land is nice, but on the muddy side; there are alot more mosquitoes in Sugar Land than in Katy, But Katy's mosquitoes are a lot bigger in size, believe it or not. Sugar land, like a previous poster said, has a lot of parks, and beautiful canopy like trees on some the roads, which reminds me of my younger years at Princeton University, but the side walks are few, broken up, and very muddy to walk on; the Parks are cut off in some areas so, when you walk on a street to get to a Park... you have to turn around and find the Park's entrance some other way. Katy, in contrast, has some very nice side walks in the urban areas and they are brand spanking new; the Parks are wide open, kind of like the Parks you'll find in Florida, like Gainsville, or West Palm Beach, where you can take a nature trail walk that takes an entire day to walk it through.

Drivers in Katy are a bit more courteous than Sugar Land, and traffic in Sugar Land is a hassle from 7am up until 10 pm all week long, and I mean from monday to sunday, because of the surrounding mall/bar/restaurant strip near highway 6 & highway 59, comparing to Katy's common rush-hour traffic from monday to friday at around 5 pm until 7-8 pm depending on the day of the month.

I am moving out of Sugar Land and into Katy because... comparing the two... to my family and myself, we feel more relax and at home in Katy than Sugar Land, after spending some time exploring the two towns; also, the fact that the third Houston's outer loop is gonna pass right by Katy (highway 99), making the area easy to hop into, and out of quickly; and lastly... the economical growth oportunities that exsist near Katy because of its proximity to the so called "energy corridor" makes it, to me at least, a very properous area, more so than Sugar Land.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM

4,719 posts, read 5,987,364 times
wow - this thread was really raised from the dead. June 2008 to Nov 2013 - almost 5 1/2 years between posts.

How much of it still applies today?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,672,360 times
I think it is funny that someone would use mosquitos and mud as a factor when picking a place to live. Mosquitos are bad everywhere. There is a lot of mud around right now because it has been raining a lot lately. Personally, I prefer Sugar Land, and we too were choosing between Sugar Land and Katy. I think Sugar Land is more prosperous than Katy, to use the previous poster's term, but that is just my opinion.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 AM

705 posts, read 1,263,619 times
The OP is from 2006! Katy has really grown since then. A lot more homes, business, schools. streets, where I think Sugar Land hasn't grown as much but still very nice area.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,046,787 times
All this talk of crime has me worried. Has crime risen in the last two years since I've been in Houston. Considering I was in spring going back and forth from work in spring and never ventured into town I would say that's two and a half years not exploring the new Houston.

LA, where I am now, is like NYC in that its a relatively safe city for its size. I don't feel unsafe walking around most of it especially the nice areas at night. So I'm used to being out and about at night.

Am I now supposed to adjust when I go back to Houston next month? I've never thought of Katy or Sugar Land as spotted with crime. I know some parts of Katy are seedy but I didn't know major crime happened.

What happened to Houston? I knew it was always a bit dangerous but now its spread into the good areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston