Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 04:24 PM

100 posts, read 78,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
You could also look at Greatwood. I don't know if $300k will quite get you want you want, but if you can stretch that budget a bit, it will meet a number of the criteria you mentioned.
We have also looked at Greatwood, but like you said - would have to stretch the budget some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Have you looked in Pearland / Manvel? That's not a crazy commute at all by Houston standards, and the area is known for being the most diverse of any Houston suburb, which is saying a lot.
Not really. We did look around Pearland when we were considering our current home, but it just didn't feel like home to us living most of the years since 1984 in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area.

Manvel - not so sure. I'm sure there are some nice areas, but some of the new neighborhoods being built down 521 didn't look all that great. But I haven't seen them all.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I live in Richmond,right by 1093 and 1464,George Bush high school right outside our subdivision and an elementary school right behind my backyard,
houses are built in early 2000 and in pretty good shape,I dont think you can avoid Hispanic neighbors unless you want to move to River Oaks.
We may be in Richmond but we go into Houston to do our shopping and dining as 1093 becomes Westheimer Rd and you can find everything there.
During the winter storm,I am glad I have so many hispanic neighbors,one is a painter and he shut off the main water valve for me in the street,another owns his own construction business and advice me what to do when the water pipes in the attic burst,across the street is a family of father and sons long distance movers,they recommend me a plumber to fix my water pipes,then it was almost impossible to find a plumber and I am grateful.
Not to mention his wife held a garage sale and sold me some generators costing me $8 which I resold on Ebay for $35-55!
Now if I live in a neighorhood where all my neighbors are office workers sitting behind a desk,??what could have happened to me and my house?
Our houses are under 20 years old,still in good shape,the neighborhood is safe,we have a huge receiving pond behind us and after rainfall,you can see ducks and egrets feeding and we have Kroger,Walgreen and Subway,Mcdonald,Starbuck ,Autozone.
Subdivision fee is now 550 annual,includes use of swimming pool and park,also covers any damage of our fence facing the street
But Fort Bend County houses may be cheaper but tax is higher as the other poster points out
come join us.
What is the name of your subdivision? Is your area not considered Ft. Bend County? Sounds like a really friendly, tight knit community that you live in!

Old 04-29-2021, 06:49 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiongal View Post
Not really. We did look around Pearland when we were considering our current home, but it just didn't feel like home to us living most of the years since 1984 in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area.

Manvel - not so sure. I'm sure there are some nice areas, but some of the new neighborhoods being built down 521 didn't look all that great. But I haven't seen them all.
For Manvel, I was speaking more the neighborhoods along SH 288.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiongal View Post
We are looking for a smaller home (preferably new construction) in the suburbs. Recently sold our larger home in a master planned community and want to buy our “retirement” home (but not looking for anything like Del Webb, we don’t mind a variety of ages with our neighbors and don’t want all the extra fees associated with a 55 plus community). Rosenberg (some of the newer subdivisions) seem to offer the most for your dollar. We want a home under 300k because we don’t want to be burdened with high taxes, but in a safe area, low tax rate, low HOA. Proximity to the freeway is important, as well as stores, dining, parks. Any opinions on the area? We did have a bad experience in our younger days of moving into a brand new subdivision where we were the only Caucasians in the neighborhood. Not prejudice at all, but like more diversity than being a complete outcast! What about safety? Some of the neighborhoods look fairly nice, but some of the outlying areas do not. I’ve heard the school district is not that highly rated. We don’t have kids or grandkids, but should we want to sell someday, will that be a big issue for us? Seems the area is growing now that Sugar Land and much of Missouri City is not building much new construction... people have to go somewhere. Katy, Clear Lake, Alvin, The Woodlands are all out of the question as hubby has to work about 2 more years in Southwest Houston/Stafford area.
What did you end up doing? There seems to be A LOT of development in that area. I'm surprised how expensive these areas have gotten, at least for new builds.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
My subdivision is called TWIN oAKS,the builder planted many oak trees .
We have Walgreen,Kroger,Autozone,McDonald,Subway,Starbuck, Chase left

Old 06-13-2023, 01:51 PM

155 posts, read 149,318 times
I've lived on the west side of New Territory for 30+ years. The neighborhoods are stable and well-kept. There are more rentals than there used to be, but that hasn't been a big problem so far. Ethnically it is quite diverse and at this point I think anyone could feel comfortable here. You could get into a smaller one-story house for less than $350K We still enjoy our neighborhood and don't plan to move. You didn't mention New Territory--check it out.

Oops! Just saw that this is an old thread. But if you're in the same position as the OP, my suggestion still applies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston