Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,885 times

Advertisements

Based on what I've read here so far, it seems like this property (located on Braesmain, at the corner of South Main) is in a section of the city that's a bit sketchy in terms of crime. Is this a fair assessment, or is it no worse than most of the city? And has anyone heard anything one way or the other about this property?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:40 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,058,853 times
Your assessment sounds correct -- however -- there are some nice apts. at Kirby and Holcombe quite near Rice VIllage that may be a bit nicer area.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,631,514 times
It's no worse than most of the rest of the city. Really. I live just down Main from there and go to the Super Target across the street from the Alexan fairly often. Been here since January '07 and have had nothing worse happen than getting hit up for money at the Main/610 intersection. You've also got a post office in easy walking distance of the Alexan on Braesmain if that makes any difference to you. Don't know any specifics about the property itself other than it seems to be geared mostly toward Medical Center employees.

None of that around there is any worse than Montrose or even parts of the Heights area, to sum it up. Most people you're reading on here don't live anywhere around here and are going on outdated information. This city changes faster than people realize.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,705,978 times
Ah, is this near Kirby and Main where Reliant/Fiesta/Taco Cabana/Fiesta Liquor Mart, Kroger, etc. etc. ad nauseam are? Is that Kroger still there? I really liked that Kroger for some reason. I think I've seen that new development. It's just across the street from Super Target, right? Looked nice enough. Not a bad area, it used to be rather sketchy in parts over there, but I don't think it is anymore. I don't think crime is any worse than anywhere else in the city. There are nice residential neighborhoods right behind you, well, further down your street, along both sides of Braes Bayou. Good location. Lots of commercial stuff around and you're close enough to everything. It will only suck for traffic when there are events at Reliant, but you'll figure out alternate routes soon enough and be all set.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,631,514 times
The Kroger is still there and I go there if not the Meyerland/Meyer Park one. The Fiesta is also pretty good as far as Fiestas go and security is tight, especially after dark. I go out in this area literally all the time.

The biggest thing around here is car thefts and burglaries, and a good number of those are people not being careful with their stuff and making themselves a target. These people tend to have their stuff come up missing frequently and in many places, due to intermittent bouts of stupidity. If you don't do this sort of thing, you've got nothing more to worry about than living in any part of any major city.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,885 times
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 PM

564 posts, read 2,049,463 times
Yeah, historically that area of the city was very sketchy, with lots of prostitution and drug dealing, but over the last 15 years the city has cleaned up a good amount of it: some of the older, more notorious complexes have been closed down and now newer construction, including townhomes, are becoming more prevalent on both sides of 610 along Main Street.

That said, if you're still feeling shaky about it, there are some very nice apartment complexes along Kirby a bit further north, from Braeswood and on to River Oaks.

Don't sweat it too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: