Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 13,398 times

Advertisements

Freeway system in Houston is light years ahead of the freeway system in Los Angeles. Houston just has a lot of people driving around, so it's only going to be so good of a situation, but the setup of the freeways is near perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:30 PM

564 posts, read 2,049,191 times
The biggest problem right now is the construction. Even on the freeways that have just been redone (the West Loop) there are parts that are still seemingly under some form of mild construction, even if its TxDOT adding its so-called "artistic" touches.

The other problem is that certain sections of certain freeways, like the North Freeway outside the Loop to about West Road and the Gulf Freeway from about Brays Bayou to Fuqua, are unattractive due to all the signage, billboards and quirky strip malls that don't seem to have any asthetic rhyme or reason.

Other than that, they're pretty close to as good as you can get. The South Loop, for example, and the Eastex work very well, even during rush hour.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 12,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
NEWSFLASH - TO CALI TRANSPLANTS
Texas is not California!! We may have our similarities, but that doesn't mean it's the same. Leave your whining at California's door. Or bring it, knowing that many of us have to say about it is simply:

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be directed at me or not. I wasn't tryting to offend anyone or say anything bad about Houston. Yeah, it's a little different here and it's taking some getting used to. I do really like it here though. I felt the same way about California when I moved there from NY. So no hard feelings

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Freeway system in Houston is light years ahead of the freeway system in Los Angeles. Houston just has a lot of people driving around, so it's only going to be so good of a situation, but the setup of the freeways is near perfect.

I totally agree on that. The freeways flow SO much better. Just way too many people

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2000 View Post
Yeah it sure is different to what we are use to in Cali. I have to admit that i really like it here. So what do you guys do for fun?

Not too much yet. We have 2 little ones, so were not really into any nightlife (we left our babysitters ~G-ma & G-pa) We've just been out exploring and getting to know the area. I'm in the prosess of looking for a job. What area are you guys in?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,221,697 times
We are in the southeast side of town. We have 3 kids so our nightlife is zero and our "fun" activities are geared more towards the outdoors to run the energy out of our kids. We have taken up fishing, go to the beach in Galveston, explore lots of the parks. We've been to Kemah a few times for dinner, once to let the kids go on the rides. We hope to take in a few ball games this summer, stuff like that. Basic exploring, kids style.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM

564 posts, read 2,049,191 times
Quote:
We are in the southeast side of town. We have 3 kids so our nightlife is zero and our "fun" activities are geared more towards the outdoors to run the energy out of our kids. We have taken up fishing, go to the beach in Galveston, explore lots of the parks. We've been to Kemah a few times for dinner, once to let the kids go on the rides. We hope to take in a few ball games this summer, stuff like that. Basic exploring, kids style.
Might I suggest renting a boat or doing a Galveston Bay boat tour (I believe they have a couple of different places around Clear Lake that offer those tours for a couple to three hours, especially on weekends).

Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,221,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
Might I suggest renting a boat or doing a Galveston Bay boat tour (I believe they have a couple of different places around Clear Lake that offer those tours for a couple to three hours, especially on weekends).
We've looked into that a couple of times, unfortunately we have a son who gets violently seasick and would ruin any fun that the rest of us would have.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 58,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Kristen View Post
Not too much yet. We have 2 little ones, so were not really into any nightlife (we left our babysitters ~G-ma & G-pa) We've just been out exploring and getting to know the area. I'm in the prosess of looking for a job. What area are you guys in?
Do you mean area of Town or of Work?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,761 times
We arrived 11 years ago for what I thought would be a 3 year stay. Didn't like it at first, but somewhere along the way I became fully Tex-icated. SoCal is still "home", but I'm not going back... I really like it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston