Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Have you ever even lived anywhere outside of Katy to make such an inaccurate remark? How many times have you actually been in Alief?

The desirable area of Alief (north of Westpark Tollway) is only 5 minutes away from Energy Corridor, whereas north Katy is at least 20 minutes away without any traffic on IH-10, rush hour is a nightmare.

Considering Alief is in close proximity to the Energy Corridor, Westchase, Westheimer/Richmond corridors, Westpark Tollway, Beltway 8, I-69, Chinatown, Memorial/City Center, and the Galleria, Alief has a lot more potential than north Katy will ever have and Alief has a higher probability of gentrifying due to convenient location.

Alief has a very diverse and unique identity with it’s very own management district (International District), north Katy on the other hand is a typical generic farther out suburb located in an insignificant location and isn’t close to anything significant other than IH-10.

Alief also has higher property values compared to north Katy. There are houses selling for millions of dollars in north Alief. North Katy doesn’t even have a country club community with million dollar homes.
I have several relatives in Alief. My aunt owns a business in Alief off Westpark and Highway 6 and another one lives on the border of Alief and Westwood my Grandma also goes to the West Houston Medical center in Alief and I worked in an area on the border of Four Corners/Sugar Land/Alief last summer so I routinely go around nearly every area of Alief. The only part of Alief that’s truly a hood is the area around Westwood especially club creek. But even then with all the nicer parts of Alief as a whole Alief is solidly under North Katy on any metric of safety. That statistically quantifiable and visually as well. Non of the nicer areas in North Katy have those gates or fences you see all over the nicest parts of Alief either to enter the neighborhood or on the door of homes. Alief isn’t greenspoint or Mcgowen or Sunnyside or Fondren SW but it isn’t North Katy either. North Katy’s closest rival in terms of feel isn’t probably Mission Bend/Missouri City (Northern half).

I never lived there but as the Nigerian community is centered on Alief I have go there significantly more than your average suburbanite. Many of my favorite artists are from there but to compare it to North Katy on any sort of safety aspect, North Katy is noticeably safer. Even the nice areas of Alief can’t touch the nice areas of North Katy in terms of safety even though their certainly more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
After spending hours doing research I have concluded that Katy and Alief are not comparable in any way at all.
In almost every Social, Economic,Educational Achievement, Demographics, Crime etc. In all categories Katy stands a world apart from Alief. Keep in mind that 77036 is in the Alief area. So is 77099.

A better comparison for the Katy area would be Cypress. Alief compares better to the Aldine area which is close to Cypress in the same way that Alief is near Katy.
Thank you for saying it like it is. Alief is easily one of my favorite areas in Houston, it’s probably my favorite area stereotyped as hood or poor next to greater Sharptown (including Chinatown/Hillcroft/Harwin) nd I hope in twenty years that entire stretch of Houston gets rejuvenated from Gulfton through Alief because it’s truly a hidden gem of extreme diversity mixing together.

But it simply isn’t comparable to North Katy on safety. Especially if you consider North Katy as areas west of 99 as well that area is morphing into Taylor/Cinco Ranch east of 99 south of I-ten Area kind of a truly middle class region.

Also to the poster who said NK isn’t close to the Energy Corridor it really depends on where you are because half or a third of the Energy Corridor is in Katy ISD. So their are certainly parts of North Katy and extreme NW parts of SK that straight up abut the Energy Corridor, which is closer than anything in Alief.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Yes South North Katy is actually very close to the Energy Corridor. Especially if you are commuting from South North Katy to Northwest Energy Corridor (Barker Cypress/Park Row), this drive would be like a breeze.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:24 PM

82 posts, read 69,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I have several relatives in Alief. My aunt owns a business in Alief off Westpark and Highway 6 and another one lives on the border of Alief and Westwood my Grandma also goes to the West Houston Medical center in Alief and I worked in an area on the border of Four Corners/Sugar Land/Alief last summer so I routinely go around nearly every area of Alief. The only part of Alief that’s truly a hood is the area around Westwood especially club creek. But even then with all the nicer parts of Alief as a whole Alief is solidly under North Katy on any metric of safety. That statistically quantifiable and visually as well. Non of the nicer areas in North Katy have those gates or fences you see all over the nicest parts of Alief either to enter the neighborhood or on the door of homes. Alief isn’t greenspoint or Mcgowen or Sunnyside or Fondren SW but it isn’t North Katy either. North Katy’s closest rival in terms of feel isn’t probably Mission Bend/Missouri City (Northern half).

I never lived there but as the Nigerian community is centered on Alief I have go there significantly more than your average suburbanite. Many of my favorite artists are from there but to compare it to North Katy on any sort of safety aspect, North Katy is noticeably safer. Even the nice areas of Alief can’t touch the nice areas of North Katy in terms of safety even though their certainly more expensive.
I don’t think I was exactly clear on the definition of which area in Alief is the desirable part. The boundaries are south of Westheimer between Eldridge Parkway and Wilcrest, all north of Westpark Tollway. I was referring only about this specific area and nothing south of either the toll road or west of Eldridge or even South Highway 6. This area is significantly closer to both the Energy Corridor and Westchase District. Driving from Eldridge or Dairy Ashford into the Energy Corridor is like a breeze without having to use a freeway.

As you know there are several upscale communities in this area including Royal Oaks, Shadowlake, and several older neighborhoods that have expensive custom built homes from the 1980s. Even the starter homes in the less expensive neighborhoods in this area start near $200k - starter homes in north Katy start from as low as $120’s price range. Overall this area is more desirable than north Katy and much more convenient to the Energy Corridor, Westchase, Memorial, and the Galleria. The demographics in this area are mixed but it’s mostly Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic. Blacks seem to be the majority at many of the apartment complexes in the area.

The Nigerian community is mostly centered south of Westpark Tollroad, around Mission Bend and west of highway 6. It appears more Nigerians that have traditionally lived in Alief for many years are beginning to move west toward Richmond/Katy area.

Westpark at Highway 6 is in the Mission Bend area, it’s not considered to be a nice part of Alief. It’s by no means a bad area either but it’s not a place you would really enjoying hanging around after dark.

Four Corners/North SL/Alief is pretty run down especially around West Bellfort. Westwood/Forum Park/ Spice Lane areas are probably the worst parts of Alief. All those areas are south of the Westpark toll road.

Last edited by Burnley; 09-05-2019 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 06:09 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
I don’t think I was exactly clear on the definition of which area in Alief is the desirable part. The boundaries are south of Westheimer between Eldridge Parkway and Wilcrest, all north of Westpark Tollway. I was referring only about this specific area and nothing south of either the toll road or west of Eldridge or even South Highway 6. This area is significantly closer to both the Energy Corridor and Westchase District. Driving from Eldridge or Dairy Ashford into the Energy Corridor is like a breeze without having to use a freeway.

As you know there are several upscale communities in this area including Royal Oaks, Shadowlake, and several older neighborhoods that have expensive custom built homes from the 1980s. Even the starter homes in the less expensive neighborhoods in this area start near $200k - starter homes in north Katy start from as low as $120’s price range. Overall this area is more desirable than north Katy and much more convenient to the Energy Corridor, Westchase, Memorial, and the Galleria. The demographics in this area are mixed but it’s mostly Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic. Blacks seem to be the majority at many of the apartment complexes in the area.

The Nigerian community is mostly centered south of Westpark Tollroad, around Mission Bend and west of highway 6. It appears more Nigerians that have traditionally lived in Alief for many years are beginning to move west toward Richmond/Katy area.

Westpark at Highway 6 is in the Mission Bend area, it’s not considered to be a nice part of Alief. It’s by no means a bad area either but it’s not a place you would really enjoying hanging around after dark.

Four Corners/North SL/Alief is pretty run down especially around West Bellfort. Westwood/Forum Park/ Spice Lane areas are probably the worst parts of Alief. All those areas are south of the Westpark toll road.
Well your Alief is very special.
In fact your Alief is not really Alief. This area is Westchase, with a small portion of Alief on west side. Of course this is quite a nice area, and it is 10x times more expensive than North Katy.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:54 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default I agree that area is Westchase

I think of alief as being around Bellaire/ beechnut/bissonnet and maybe Dairy Ashford/ Kirkwood . Probably the west park toll road would be the northern boundary . North of westpark would be westchase or even the energy corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
In fact your Alief is not really Alief. This area is Westchase, with a small portion of Alief on west side. Of course this is quite a nice area, and it is 10x times more expensive than North Katy.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:06 PM

82 posts, read 69,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
It’s still south of Westheimer and zoned to Alief ISD.

AKA Alief

Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If it's Cy-fair ISD, I consider it Cypress. If it's Katy ISD, I call it Katy. The area in question is actually unincorporated Harris county. You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
That would be an incorrect viewpoint then.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
Quote:
It’s still south of Westheimer and zoned to Alief ISD.

AKA Alief
There are areas of Katy in CyFair ISD, parts of Houston in CyFair ISD, parts of Waller in Katy ISD, parts of Westchase in Alief ISD, parts of the Woodlands in Klein ISD and other parts of the woodlands within Conroe ISD, etc.. It has been proven time and time again on these forums for years, school district boundary lines are not a good way for discerning municipality boundaries within Houston. At all.

I find it’s either being done by transplants who don’t know better, or real estate agents/boosters whom have a bias in viewing the less desirable parts of their community as actually part of another community. Case in point, the amount of Katy boosters that try to say N Katy between I-10 and FM-529 is in fact Cypress and not Katy, when in all actuality, this area they’re trying to push off as not part of Katy, was considered Katy long before cinco ranch or anything else was being built south of I-10. Biggest pet peeve I have on here and it never ends with these Katy boosters..

Old 09-05-2019, 07:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
No. The area north of Clay is what they dint consider to be part of Katy because it's not in the Katy ISD. But from I-10 to Clay is Katy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
There are areas of Katy in CyFair ISD, parts of Houston in CyFair ISD, parts of Waller in Katy ISD, parts of Westchase in Alief ISD, parts of the Woodlands in Klein ISD and other parts of the woodlands within Conroe ISD, etc.. It has been proven time and time again on these forums for years, school district boundary lines are not a good way for discerning municipality boundaries within Houston. At all.

I find it’s either being done by transplants who don’t know better, or real estate agents/boosters whom have a bias in viewing the less desirable parts of their community as actually part of another community. Case in point, the amount of Katy boosters that try to say N Katy between I-10 and FM-529 is in fact Cypress and not Katy, when in all actuality, this area they’re trying to push off as not part of Katy, was considered Katy long before cinco ranch or anything else was being built south of I-10. Biggest pet peeve I have on here and it never ends with these Katy boosters..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston