Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 09:43 AM

234 posts, read 424,670 times

Advertisements

~sigh~ on the “next Alief”. Katy Resident for 40 years, lived in all 4 Quadrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 31,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
~sigh~ on the “next Alief”. Katy Resident for 40 years, lived in all 4 Quadrants.
Would you kindly elaborate abit more on your reaction?

Thx

Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduron View Post
Hi guys,

Based on the comments here, I went out and spent all day yesterday driving around north Katy north of i10 and west of 99 as well as surrounding areas past south of i10 east of 99 - I spoke to some locals, visited schools, retail stores etc... ghostown, thanks for your information - I'd be curious to visit these areas you noted experiencing gang activity, drive by shootings etc...??
Drive-by shootings do not happen all the time. I've seen it only once in two years. But how many shootings per year can you tolerate? In my current area I do not hear any gunshots whatsoever and I think that's how it should be.
Before moving to North Katy I did some homework (crime maps, drove around several times, etc.) and could not find anything suspicious right away. I had to live there for a couple of months before things started to emerge.
Check out places along Fry Rd., between Clay Rd. and FM 529.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduron View Post
Hi guys,

Based on the comments here, I went out and spent all day yesterday driving around north Katy north of i10 and west of 99 as well as surrounding areas past south of i10 east of 99 - I spoke to some locals, visited schools, retail stores etc... ghostown, thanks for your information - I'd be curious to visit these areas you noted experiencing gang activity, drive by shootings etc...??
West of 99 is the most heavily policed part of Katy and crime is just as low as east of 99 South of 1-10. Yet it is overall slightly cheaper than that area. Because the Katy Police Force is very serious and is likely to annex much of the area West of 99, North if I-ten crime should be low in basically all neighborhoods in that area. The only area that is a little suspect is East of 99. Even then it’s only worse than the other Katy zip codes and isn’t as bad as Alief or even gentrifying Spring Branch.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default It is a good area. Dont worry

That area is just fine. Dont listen to anyone who says anything different. The Katy area has about 350,000 population. That is more than the cities of Pittsburgh and st Louis. More than Orlando and Tampa, more that Cincinnati and about the same as Cleveland. Believe me Katy is way safer than those Cities. Sure there is Crime. But not a high amount. I'm sure Katy is safer than most of America.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 31,570 times
Does anyone have any experience with the new schools? Paetow high school has got to be one of the nicest campus I've seen in Houston - very impressive, I spoke to some of the teachers a few months back and they seem to care for the kids education.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 PM

82 posts, read 68,955 times
Majority of the 77449 area in North Katy is worse than Alief.

At least Alief is closer-in commute to the city which makes up for the “bad”.

By the way, Alief has some very decent areas - especially north of the Westpark Tollway that are much nicer areas compared to north Katy.

The 77493 area west of 99 is meh. Even with new higher end communities such as Elyson being built out there that area will always retain a “country” redneck vibe.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Ill take country redneck vibe over hoodrat gangbanging killer vibe anyday.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:42 PM

82 posts, read 68,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I don’t know where you are referring to however the nice parts of Alief don’t have the vibe your describing and those areas are still better than most of north Katy.

Last edited by Burnley; 09-02-2019 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 07:06 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I’d take neither. I’ve lived near both those types at some point in my life and lower income communities no matter the color end up breeding the same kind of crimes, ignorance and alcohol and drug use. So no thanks.

As far as OP, I drove in that area today and happen to see some police handling a dispute in that area. Don’t know what it was about but didn’t seem that bad. The area didn’t seem as desirable as other areas of Katy( btw most ppl I saw in this area were white) but didn’t give me an Alief vibe at all. Just older neighborhood leaning more towards lower middle class in comparison to the general cookie cutter Suburb look that Katy generally tends to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston