Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 AM

14 posts, read 32,513 times

Advertisements

we are moving to houston, job is in pearland and I like silvercreek and silverlake as it seemed nice, small commute, good schools for kids which is important..

But my other half likes sienna plantation and the newer homes..says value will be better when we resell which could be in 2-3 years? Any insights on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:32 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Homes in the Houston suburbs don't appreciate much at all, because the supply is constantly refreshed by new building further out.

In 2 or 3 years neither is likely to change much. I would give a slight edge in holding its value to Sienna Plantation, in that its a very large community, with quite a bit of activity, my understanding is that most individual communities in Pearland are smaller, and will have proportionally less activity.

The "Grand Parkway" (99) future sections C and B that go from highway 59/69 to Highway 6, could be announced in the next few years, and if so, I would expect an increase in value for Sienna Plantation, as it gets more convenient, and transit times to other places decrease.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/p...d-parkway.html

Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 AM

thank you, how about sugarland..in the first colony area..I am attracted to old/established neighborhoods..schools also look good there and commute does not look bad? The newer riverstone/ telfair are out of our price range..

Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM

65 posts, read 58,682 times
Since Riverstone/Telfair is out of your price range I would look at the homes zoned to Dulles possibly or over in New Territory if you like the older, more established feel of Sugar Land. Homes hold their value well and are decently priced. People will argue about schools but between Clements, Dulles, and Austin you're kinda splitting hairs in my opinion. I graduated from Hightower, but had friends who went to all three above and we're all doing just fine.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
First Colony is a great older neighborhood, with a lot going on. You might look at the New Territories as well. Sugar Land would be a 4 or 5 miles more than Sienna Plantation, but a lot depends on exactly where you are going, and what time you leave, but the commute from First Colony, Sugar Land on a typical day would be 35-50 mins, on a bad day about an hour.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Sienna has some established areas as well. The neighborhood is 20 years old now. We've really enjoyed living there, and the change in the amenities has been significant since we moved in in 2008.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Sienna has some established areas as well. The neighborhood is 20 years old now. We've really enjoyed living there, and the change in the amenities has been significant since we moved in in 2008.
can you plz tell me what areas are the well established ones?

Old 03-26-2019, 10:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by successful5 View Post
can you plz tell me what areas are the well established ones?
One of the benefits of Sienna is that they've done a great job of keeping the old growth trees, so unlike parts of Katy, they're not converting a rice paddy to a neighborhood, but cutting the homesites out of the forest.

The oldest parts of Sienna are at Sienna Parkway and Steep Bank Trace. Steep Bank West are larger estate sized lots, Steep Bank East are smaller, standard lots. If you think of that intersection as ground zero, as you move further out from there, the homes get newer. So Steep Bank E & W, then Shipmans Landing, Waters Lake. Anderson Springs is up to about 15 years old and newer, and are smaller homes.

https://www.siennaplantation.com/masterplanmap

Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
One of the benefits of Sienna is that they've done a great job of keeping the old growth trees, so unlike parts of Katy, they're not converting a rice paddy to a neighborhood, but cutting the homesites out of the forest.

The oldest parts of Sienna are at Sienna Parkway and Steep Bank Trace. Steep Bank West are larger estate sized lots, Steep Bank East are smaller, standard lots. If you think of that intersection as ground zero, as you move further out from there, the homes get newer. So Steep Bank E & W, then Shipmans Landing, Waters Lake. Anderson Springs is up to about 15 years old and newer, and are smaller homes.

https://www.siennaplantation.com/masterplanmap
thank you

Old 03-26-2019, 12:51 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
May seem counter intuitive but in the areas you are looking, the older the neighborhood the better for resale. In Pearland, Silvercreek/Silverlake will retain value better than Shadow Creek Ranch, for example. In Sugar Land, First Colony, Sugar Lakes, Sugar Creek, Sugarwood will be better than Riverstone. Telfair is newer but built out and highly sought after so values are steady there too. Also worth looking at Greatwood. I wouldn't really look at anything on the other side of 59 beyond Sugar Lakes as that starts to make the commute to Pearland a bit too long for my taste.

I think in the right older Sugar Land neighborhood you could make money after realtor fees in 3 years. They are slowly but steadily rising. I don't think that to be the case in Pearland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston