Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 AM

684 posts, read 2,111,455 times

Advertisements

I've seen mouse droppings..what gives me the creepy crawlies is that the droppings from roaches could be similar in size to be mistaken for mice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM

151 posts, read 641,464 times
Ugh, disgusting. Thanks for the forward, now I know what to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
No big deal...I'm sure I can win the war against fleas, roaches, and mice.

Here is one source for pictures of droppings:

Hantavirus Information:How to Determine if Mice Are Infesting Your Home!

There are probably more pictures all over the Web - ick!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,802,151 times
I am in the midst of a remodel and while the studs were exposed and before insulation went in we liberally applied boric acid powder to every available horizontal surface. I haven't had time to evaluate how well this works to discourage rodents and insects in the wallspace. Does anyone know anything about this practice?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM

64 posts, read 212,296 times
Last summer fleas were the problem that no one really wanted to talk about but just about everyone had on their dog or cat due to the mild weather and non-stop rain. The bug man refused to do my house until it stopped raining because he knew it would just wash away so . . .

Washed the pets with flea shampoo every week and dosed them with vet-issued flea meds. (Poor wee beasties.)
Washed all the pet bedding.
Vacuumed every day for about two weeks and kept the creatures (mostly) to the hardwood floor parts of the house.
Bought mega ant killer stuff for the garden and distributed it using one of those fertilizer flinger things.
Sprayed "demon wp" on the carpet areas.

So, it took me a Saturday morning but the fleas were gone and didn't come back!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,721,762 times
If I had fleas permeate into the house or the yard, you can be sure as hell I'd be running my mouth at the neighbors!!! Fleas don't just spontaneously spring to life due to warm/wet weather. Neighbors hiding their lack of hygiene and "not really wanting to talk about it" are usually the problem, and will send you through all the cleaning motions you described on a Saturday you'd rather be doing something else. You're lucky you only had to do it once.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM

39 posts, read 154,837 times
i know it sounds weird but if you have rugs.. put table salt all over the carpet. i mean put a lot cover the whole floor.. wait a day and them suck it all up with a vac. My mom used to do it when we had fea problems and it worked like a charm. Somthing about how the flea eggs cant live in the salt, i forget, i just know it works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston