Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,137 times

Advertisements

Hello- we are relocating soon from small town Oklahoma (I'm talking about pop. 10,000) to the Houston area. My husband will be working in downtown Houston. Of course, we are aware any area will be a rather large change for our family (we have a 13 year-old and 9 year-old), but we would like to make this transition as smooth (is that possible? Haha) as we can. Our priorities probably go without saying.... Good schools, safety, decent yard would be a bonus. My husband currently drives to OKC to work (an hour commute- total interstate/turnpike- no traffic) So commuting is not a huge concern. I realize the actual commute would be crazy-different due to the small (joking) traffic of Houston area. We did have a quick, rushed visit to Houston a week ago, and love the look and feel of the Woodlands....not so much the houses so close together. (We don't have a million dollar budget!) BUT we could deal with the smaller yard etc if its what's best for our kids. We didn't get into the Magnolia area on our short trip there. Can anyone tell me a little about the schools there? How about the commute from Magnolia to downtown? I keep hearing we could get more yard and house for our money there but don't know much else. Any advice about the Woodlands, Magnolia, or anything else you think we should know would be greatly appreciated! (Positive comments only....Just kidding!) I'm just a little terrified at the moment- want to make the right choices especially for the kids, of course! thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,772,321 times
I suggest taking a look at Kingwood. It has a bit of a small town feel to it and is a lot less of a commute DT than The Woodlands.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,243,948 times
I second chris on Kingwood, for the same reasons. I have known people that lived in Magnolia - and complain about the schools and the commute.

Kingwood is pretty - lots of trees. Less expensive than The Woodlands.

So much depends on the particular highway. If you look on a map, Cypress is closer than Kingwood to Downtown - but 290 (to get to Cypress) is our most congested highway - so Kingwood is a lot faster.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,137 times
Thank you... We will expand our search a bit. Haven't looked at Kingwood except drove through the edge of town briefly. We have been rushed! So Magnolia schools aren't one of the "better" districts around?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,030,307 times
Try Friendswood too. It also has a small town feel to it with great schools. Many in Houston feel it's too quiet and quaint, but for you guys it might be perfect.

It would also help to know your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: