Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 AM

251 posts, read 261,661 times

Advertisements

Good mornin all. I'm hopefully going to be moving to Houston to work at Houston Baptist University in a few months. My wife and I would love a nice safe neighborhood for our little family. I've been looking at several neighborhoods such as Katy, Sugar Land, etc...We're a young family but we like to get out and explore. We like going out to movies, concerts and restaurants. I plan on going to Astros and Texans games. I'm coming from a college football town so I'll probably go to Rice and UH games

We would love to have a good size yard...even maybe an acre or more land. Obviously I don't want to be too far out of town. I'd like to stay within 30-40 min drive of the HBU campus.

Am I out of luck? Can any of you give me suggestions for the parts of town where I should focus my house shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Also...give me some honest feed back on the Texas beaches. Are there any nice beaches near Houston? If you wanted to take a weekend beach trip, which beach would you choose?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,752,340 times
Keep in mind that Katy and SugarLand are not Houston neighborhoods but suburban towns that are a long drive from your work although SL isn't too bad from HBU location. What's your housing budget? Beaches are very mediocre.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM

158 posts, read 182,448 times
Sugarland may be your best bet if you're wanting a suburb and good schools for the kids. To get more land, you'd probably have to go further out.

Beaches are OK. Water isn't blue and typically not a shiny green either. Better beaches around here are the ones where you'd need to pay in galveston, or crystal beach in Bolivar. Weekend trip would probably be Chorpus Christi/South Padre.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM

23 posts, read 27,666 times
As for the beaches the closer ones are ehh okay! no blue waters as others said....... If you are looking for pretty beaches go further down towards corpus christi or south padre..... If you are looking for a close social beach I say galveston because it has restaurants and pleasure pier amusement park on the beach.... If you want a closer beach that is a tad bit better looking than galveston i suggest surfside however not many restaurants and no amusement park but it does have a playground

Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Housing budget will probably be in the mid-$200K range. Then again, there's a good chance we'll rent at first until we find some neighborhoods we like.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
From what I've seen, I like Sugar Land better than Katy,
BTW, Sugar Land has a minor league baseball team

Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,919,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
Housing budget will probably be in the mid-$200K range. Then again, there's a good chance we'll rent at first until we find some neighborhoods we like.
As many posters here will quickly tell you, mid $200k (Affordable) + good schools + acreage (or up to an acre) + desirable commute to HBU isn't going to happen. You can have 2, maybe 3 of those with that price point.

Good Schools + Acreage + Affordable = Needville. Smaller conservative district out on farmland that people are beginning to realize is a pretty great school district. Drawback: Commute, lack of nearby ammenities

Good Schools + Acreage + Commute = Richmond, Fulshear (and the commute still won't be the best.) Drawback(s): Commute, Price point. You're looking at either a very old fixer-upper home or a $500k+ home.

Good Schools + Commute + Afforable = Richmond, Fulshear, old Sugar Land, Greatwood, New Territory. Drawbacks: Smaller/older homes, no acreage.

Don't really have knowledge on areas that are affordable, near HBU, with/without good schools - someone with knowledge about real estate inside the Beltway can better speak to that.

This is all assuming you wanted to be along the 59 corridor.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,919,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
Also...give me some honest feed back on the Texas beaches. Are there any nice beaches near Houston? If you wanted to take a weekend beach trip, which beach would you choose?
Galveston has more attractions/restaurants. As you travel south to Crystal Beach, it gets more "beachy" and less congested.

Personally I like Surfside beach, which is even farther south and even less congested. We take the back way (36 South from 59 in Rosenberg) for a more scenic, less congested drive.

The beaches are okay - not great, especially if you have been to places like Destin Florida, South Padre Island, Hawaii etc.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM

694 posts, read 839,285 times

Bryan Beach at Freeport, two weeks ago. Its an hour southwest of Sugar Land.....you can go to the beach here more or less any month of the year. Even in January, on a warm day, the water is warm enough for wading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston