Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:25 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,809,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Right it shouldn't be seen as anything more than it is. The best way to describe it is it's not pretentious.
That's not what I meant at all. Just because a city is beautiful and well planned doesn't make it pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,313,202 times
I will say that the murky water of the island does have a warping effect on the perception. It is a phenomenon I call "The Galveston Warp."

What happens is that the utter shock of seeing such brownness in the water interferes with the analytical/sensory processes of the body. This causes abnormal sensation and worry of beach "ickiness," that would otherwise be ignored if the water were turquoise and clear, and further impedes critical-thinking skills, causing people to construe all sorts of fallacies.

As a result, you have unending complaints about Galveston's seaweed, flesh-eating bacteria, syringes, jellyfish, etc, even though such features manifest on every beach from time to time. It is also why so many nonsensical claims about the island are present (i.e. too much pollution/oil refineries, cesspool, etc).

The sand is an aspect most affected by this phenomenon. Many will argue that "brown sand" causes Galveston to be unattractive, despite the fact that:
1.) Galveston's natural sand isn't brown at all.

2.) Brown sand in and of itself doesn't make a beach unattractive, because of the wide variety of colors beach sands can come in.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,040,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That's not what I meant at all. Just because a city is beautiful and well planned doesn't make it pretentious.
I think it has more to do with the attitude and culture behind it. After living in CA for several years there is an attitude with some aspects of the beach culture in the coastal towns here.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
I will say that the murky water of the island does have a warping effect on the perception. It is a phenomenon I call "The Galveston Warp."

What happens is that the utter shock of seeing such brownness in the water interferes with the analytical/sensory processes of the body. This causes abnormal sensation and worry of beach "ickiness," that would otherwise be ignored if the water were turquoise and clear, and further impedes critical-thinking skills, causing people to construe all sorts of fallacies.

As a result, you have unending complaints about Galveston's seaweed, flesh-eating bacteria, syringes, jellyfish, etc, even though such features manifest on every beach from time to time. It is also why so many nonsensical claims about the island are present (i.e. too much pollution/oil refineries, cesspool, etc).

The sand is an aspect most affected by this phenomenon. Many will argue that "brown sand" causes Galveston to be unattractive, despite the fact that:
1.) Galveston's natural sand isn't brown at all.

2.) Brown sand in and of itself doesn't make a beach unattractive, because of the wide variety of colors beach sands can come in.
Very interesting points. Yes, I think if the water were more blue the town wouldn't be called all sorts of disgusting things.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM

998 posts, read 1,328,682 times
In terms of Texas coastal cities, I would take Galveston over the others any day. The beaches aren't nice but Galveston offers a lot more to see and do than Corpus, SPI, etc. No beach in Texas is what I'd consider great. Sure Padre Island is better than Galveston's beaches but not really worth that extra drive.

Last edited by marcopolo2000; 03-17-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM

What is considered the Texas Riviera?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,313,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
In terms of Texas coastal cities, I would take Galveston over the others any day. The beaches aren't nice but Galveston offers a lot more to see and do than Corpus, SPI, etc.
Yes, Galveston has the greatest amount of amenities over all the Texas shoreline cities; very interesting historical fabric (lb for lb), quite uncommon in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
No beach in Texas is what I'd consider great. Sure Padre Island is better than Galveston's beaches but not really worth that extra drive.
The South Texas beaches are indeed fantastic, no mistake about it:
1.) Thanks to a far south latitude, warm winter temperatures and SSTs, have a longer reliable window of enjoyable comfort compared to all other continental US beaches outside of peninsular Florida. Just look at this past week, for instance: North Florida and the Panhandle dealt with freezing low temps (down to the 20s in parts), and 50s/60s for highs, while South Texas stayed in the 70s and 80s.

2.) Warm weather allows great tropical landscaping rare in much of the continental US, adding flavor to the beach scene.

The water definitely is a turquoise blue in South Texas, so in reality, the only difference between aesthetics in areas like SPI, and those of the Panhandle FL beaches is the sand color (a factor that can vary so much from beach to beach, that the aesthetics aren't linear). Galveston's beaches are exactly like these South Texas beaches, just that the water is murky.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-17-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 08:01 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,043,900 times
I don't find south Texas beaches to be that great, they're nice but I don't put them at great. And, they certainly don't compare with Florida panhandle beaches.

The water isn't turquoise until you go to Mexico ,- what the water does have is clarity. I find it to be very similar to Galveston color with the major exception being that it's clear in south Texas where Galveston isn't clear. The sand is the same mud consistency of Galveston but a slightly lighter brown. Would I do I've to south padre for their beach? Probably not again.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 PM

155 posts, read 150,536 times
I love Galveston. You can get a good meal, stroll along the Strand or Postoffice Street, go hear some music at the Old Quarter, go see the Elissa, think about the Great Storm, and enjoy walking on the beach and listening to the waves too. (I like Jamaica Beach the best.) No, it's not the Pacific Ocean, but who cares. It's our beach.

Last edited by rbheeler; 03-17-2017 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,809,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Very interesting points. Yes, I think if the water were more blue the town wouldn't be called all sorts of disgusting things.
Maybe I made the mistake of taking a trip to Galveston not long after I had visited Miami Beach. Two completely different experiences for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston