Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Most people don't care as long as it doesn't look like a blight and it's well maintained.
And what are you citing with this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And what are you citing with this statement?
Because the issue of stip malls and chain stores is only brought up by the purists.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
For me, it's okay that Houston-Galveston is kind of ugly. It honestly doesn't bother me much. They more than make up for it in other areas. There are tons of beautiful cities I would never want to live in.

There's still room for improvement on the island, though. I'd like to see more palms planted down there.
This is way more reasonable.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
I'm posting from my phone so I can't (don't know how to) embed Maps links. But if you do actually need proof of what I'm saying you do know where to find it.

I'll wait until you are on a google maps compatible devise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Well, I have been to other beaches before in TX, FL, SC, CA, HI and the Caribbean, so I do have some knowledge of beaches. Plus, I really enjoy reading your desperate white knight posts defending the honor of Galveston.

And I enjoy watching you wiggle trying to defend your flame. BTW Where are you from and where do you live now ? Just curious...

Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'll wait until you are on a google maps compatible devise.
I am using a Google Maps compatible device.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

And I enjoy watching you wiggle trying to defend your flame. BTW Where are you from and where do you live now ? Just curious...
I've lived so many places I'm from nowhere. I live in the SW portion of the Houston metro area.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:01 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
I am using a Google Maps compatible device.

Ok I'll wait until you are on a devise that you can figure out Google Maps on....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-16-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But this is the thing, I don't think and have never thought of anyone actually comparing Galveston to those other beaches and actual making the claim that they're better or as nice. The argument has always been that it's a decent beach and people are actually underrating it. It's more of a reasonable outlook on the island than straight up hyperbole.

Yet not even that is allowed. Nothing will make people satisfied until it's made known to everyone in here that Galveston is a stinking hellhole. That pretty much goes for anytime anyone shows the remotest sense of price in Texas cities. It's a reasonable way of saying, you know what it isn't that bad, there are worse, and having the other side chime in and saying, "no, sir, it's the pits and anything to contrary is just boosting".
Fair enough. Like I said, I think Galveston is interesting for how polarizing it is. Lots of people genuinely love it. Nothing wrong with that. And it does offer good activities for families.

Also, I happen to agree with you about TX cities. I'd go so far as to say the only part of TX that gets consistent love is the hill country. But other areas have beauty too, including East and West TX. I think the Waco area is pretty as are some areas around towns like Gonzales, Cuero, or La Vernia.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Fair enough. Like I said, I think Galveston is interesting for how polarizing it is. Lots of people genuinely love it. Nothing wrong with that. And it does offer good activities for families.

Also, I happen to agree with you about TX cities. I'd go so far as to say the only part of TX that gets consistent love is the hill country. But other areas have beauty too, including East and West TX. I think the Waco area is pretty as are some areas around towns like Gonzales, Cuero, or La Vernia.
After living in Los Angeles and having my hipster eyes be rubbed clean I started to see blight for what it really is and not something to be rose colored. I went back to Houston and didn't realize how clean the city is. Also how green.

I looked past the criticism of it being so cookie cutter and bland and marveled at the engineering feat of some of the master planned communities, the neighborhoods around the Museum district and Memorial, and the ethnic communities.

I think the problem is that Houston, and Texas can be so beautifully normal if that makes sense.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Well, there's a reason you won't find a Walmart or a Subway alongside most of the world's beaches. Because most people would find that distasteful. Quirky but still ugly.
Destin Florida has beautiful beaches and more than one Walmart and subway. I haven't been "to the beach" in Galveston in more years than I can count but the city itself has a charm to it that seems to draw me in. I enjoy going there for the coastal vibe, the sounds of waves and the smell of a coastal city, old building and new buildings and just really nice people who live there. The art walk is a fun evening. There is just a peaceful vibe to it. An old beach town without any sort of pretentiousness so that all are welcome.

Last edited by texas7; 03-16-2017 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston