Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
UNT first opened in 1890 and Texas Women's first opened in 1901. Denton eventually became a part of DFW but I'm not sure it was thought of as such at the time. The same in likelihood happened to Prairie View.

Let's compare by total student population (I'll just get the numbers off of Wikipedia) - includes both undergrads and grads

Houston area:
* University of Houston - 42,704
** Sugar Land is a separate campus of UH
* University of Houston-Downtown - 14,262
* University of Houston-Clear Lake (Pasadena and Houston) - 8,628
* University of Texas Medical Branch (no undergrad) - 3,169 total, 2,826 full time
* Prairie View A&M (Prairie View) - 8,762
* Texas Southern University - 9,646
* University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (Houston) - 4,811 (no undergrads)
* Texas A&M University at Galveston is a branch of Texas A&M - 2,324

DFW area:
* University of Texas-Dallas (Richardson) - 26,793
* University of North Texas (Denton) - 37,979
* University of North Texas at Dallas - 3,030 (it just recently got undergrad programs so expect this to increase)
* Texas Woman's University (Denton) - 12,416 for Denton campus only (it has 1,446 in Dallas and 1,273 in Houston)
* University of Texas-Arlington (Arlington) - 39,714
* Texas A&M Commerce (Commerce) - 12,302
You're missing UT-Southwestern Medical school in Dallas if you are including medical schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on what, if any, impact the top 10% rule has had on UH? My own personal belief is that the increased requirements for admission to UT and A&M have had a positive trickle down effect on schools like UH, Texas State and possibly even Texas Tech etc. There are now some very good candidates from competitive HS that don't meet that 10% bar, but are in the top 20% or 25%, for example. I think a lot more of them are considering UH, as opposed to just going out of state.

Anyone agree (or disagree), and if so, why?
Absolutely its positive. I know lots of people with kids who would have gotten into UT or A&M 25-30 years ago that consider UH and TT (as well as a lot of out of state public schools).

Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
There is plenty around this tract, and it consists mainly of warehouses and old apartments (to be fair, there are a couple newer apartment complexes nearby as well). I've actually driven through this parcel in the past. You don't need to get in the car to know I'm right - just check it out on Google Earth. This is a short distance southwest of the Astrodome - an area not exactly known for beautiful scenery or low crime. I can only guess that they thought the new campus might help spur some gentrification.

I'm not a UT or UH booster, BTW. My remarks are from a commercial real estate perspective. This tract is going to be a hard one to sell, and they stand a good chance of either losing money, waiting a long time for a buyer, or both.
The Texas Medical Center is rapidly growing that way. That area has excellent potential. There just isn't much available land between 610 and Hermann Park. Institutions own most of the vacant land.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Honestly the UT System is too late in the game. For too long, the state has neglected higher education in Greater Houston and the University stepped up to fill the need and is ascending into Ivy League status. Sadly, quality higher education in Texas necessitated leaving the big city (or the small town in West Texas) and serving time in provincial Austin or College Station for 4 years.

UH has done a good job in building a world-class university and state university system around the metropolitan area over the past half-century while UT (and to a lesser extent, A&M) neglected Houston. All I can see are the good 'ol boys from UT-Austin (and A&M-College Station) trying to loot the assets of UH and the system because it's encroaching on the turf of UT/A&M superiority (and Tech, UNT, et al. is not far behind UH).

If the Houston area had to secede from Texas and write up a Declaration of Independence, the treatment by the Lege (and the Austin-based cabal of UT and A&M alumni elitists) of UH and the system would definitely be one of the grievances!
No, that's a UH centric perspective, not Houston. The Houston metro area had 2 of the states 4 medical schools for many years (more have opened, especially in the last 15 years).

Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Oh I see. They're trying to rebrand it to get back in those whiny kids...I mean UH alumni graces . Hope it gets built.
UT wants to establish a presence in the nation's 5th largest metro area. Leaders in Houston see this could be an economic boon for the metro. Sounds like a win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston