Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 PM

102 posts, read 132,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandabr View Post
They are offering us a discount because it is a new floorplan for the builder and they don't have any to show us. It is a really good price for us, less than what we were thinking on spending for the base price of the home. It is not a big floorplan (about 2200 sqfeet) but its just the size we wanted. Being in another neighborhood we would've already bought it.

The floorplan we are looking is the Sabine and the base price is about 253K, not bad at all... but we don't want to buy the house and have to sell it for 50k less in 10 years.
That calculates to about $115 per sq ft. That isn't cheap. That is comparable to Bridgeland with likely fewer amenities and a weaker current school system. About 265k would get you an upgraded used home in Sydney Harbor on the water with a more desirable set of schools. Just east of Cypress in Tomball would likely get you the same house for 20+k less and zoned to Tomball Memorial.

It is your money, so you earned the right to spend it however you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:37 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,217,687 times
Here's the problem with a brand-new floor plan: someone came up with the plan, and it looks good buuuuuuuuttttttt.....enough thought might not have gone into exactly how the plumbing (etc.) was going to be. You are the guinea pig. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it so much depends on the builder. Are they going to be responsive to surprising problems?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM

292 posts, read 548,743 times
Quote:
So, this is the info on their website regarding the schools

Cy-Fair ISD, Cypress Fairbanks School District | Miramesa

Elementary is Rennel (I read somewhere that they might move some students to Postma), Middle is Anthony and High School is, in fact, Cypress Springs.

Both elementary schools received good grades, middle is allright and it seems that the mais problem is with the high school. But my question is, do you think Cypress Springs HS could get better rating in a 10 year period of time so when we think about moving it wont affect the resale value that much. In fact, does the HS has the same effect on resale as the elementary?

I don't know if it makes any difference, but we ae not buying one of the larger homes available, in fact, we are on the opposite end, it's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath and study, so it might not be the best house for a larger family or a family with older kids. But again, those are just my thoughts and I really know nothing about the house market in Houston (or the US).
Schools usually don't get better. They tend to more often than not get worse...

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,518,059 times
That floor plan is tricky, no half bath, and it's only 3 beds with no additional entertaining space, it might work for you now but I think it would be hard to find a buyer for it down the line. At that price, it's not going to appreciate significantly.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 PM

23 posts, read 37,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfroggin View Post
That calculates to about $115 per sq ft. That isn't cheap. That is comparable to Bridgeland with likely fewer amenities and a weaker current school system. About 265k would get you an upgraded used home in Sydney Harbor on the water with a more desirable set of schools. Just east of Cypress in Tomball would likely get you the same house for 20+k less and zoned to Tomball Memorial.

It is your money, so you earned the right to spend it however you wish.
We tried bridgeland but their homes are just too small with no backyard and above our desired base price.

I'm really not familiar with the Tomball region but will definitely have a look.

We were also looking at creekside ranch in Richmond. Is a little bit more expensive but I think we might be able to make it work if it's a better region.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,226,571 times
Creekside is the country...ain't much out there and that windy road is not attractive at night

Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
That floor plan is tricky, no half bath, and it's only 3 beds with no additional entertaining space, it might work for you now but I think it would be hard to find a buyer for it down the line. At that price, it's not going to appreciate significantly.
We actually asked for a quote for a half bathroom the minute we saw the floorplan and it would cost 2600 to add the powder room, so if we decide on that floorplan we are definitely doing this.

It is true that it doesnt have an additional entertaining space, but I think that most smaller houses and new floorplans do not have one. Personally, I don't care about a media or game room in a small house, but I understand that it might be a cultural thing and it could make things harder when we try to resell.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Creekside is the country...ain't much out there and that windy road is not attractive at night
We didn't have time to drive there, we were planning on do so during the weekend but it seems that it's in the middle of nowhere just looking at the map. We were just wondering if that's an area that's is going to develop soon or not

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,226,571 times
its literally caught in between family farms and a plant nursery I've seen in existence all my years on this earth and that's more than 25....the area to the east has developed but its more wide open land

Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,025,169 times
Why not look at Cypress Creek Lakes or resale in Blackhorse Ranch?

Quote:
We tried bridgeland but their homes are just too small with no backyard and above our desired base price.

I'm really not familiar with the Tomball region but will definitely have a look.

We were also looking at creekside ranch in Richmond. Is a little bit more expensive but I think we might be able to make it work if it's a better region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston