Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,067 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Moving from Bellevue, WA suburbs to take up a job(empty nesters). We have looked at Montrose, Heights or the Washington areas but we like Somerset Green built by Toll brothers and others.

I wanted to hear from the local residents on mainly the community and build quality of the builders. On face value, the properties seem really nice and I'm really attracted to the community style but its not the traditional areas of demand in houston like the Montrose, Heights or the Washington areas(the home prices in somerset green are in par with these high demand areas).

It appears they haven't sold a whole lot of homes since they started about 18 months ago. How long does a subdivision like Somerset Green take to completely finish. Do new subdivisions in Houston tend to keep value as they age?

Any insights is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:13 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
I just looked it up on Google. That little nook between Old Katy Road and Hempstead is a little weird geographically. I don't see much of a "community" growing out of there since it's surrounded by commercial and warehouse type property.

There seem to be a lot of townhomes popping up on the that Hempstead corridor and I'm guessing that builders are out of real estate in Shady Acres and are priced out of the Rice Military/Washington area.

It's definitely nice to be so close to Memorial Park though.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
There's a reason those homes are slow moving. It's not really a desirable area because of what's immediately surrounding it. It's perfectly safe, but doesn't have anywhere near the feel of Montrose, Heights, or Rice Military, and maybe more importantly, doesn't have the potential for it either.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM

52 posts, read 68,922 times
What area are you all talking about? Somerset Green 77024 is on Memorial btw Gessner & Beltway 8. It is an older townhome complex. Memorial Green right next door is the new development of high end homes, condos and retail.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown homie View Post
What area are you all talking about? Somerset Green 77024 is on Memorial btw Gessner & Beltway 8. It is an older townhome complex. Memorial Green right next door is the new development of high end homes, condos and retail.
I think you're thinking of Ethan's Glen.

Somerset Green – A Master-Planned Community

Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

264 posts, read 441,716 times
Somerset Green is a new townhome community. It is in Memorial and that is an area in demand right up there with the others you listed. I love the location. What I don't like are 3 and 4 story townhomes For lack of a better description, I would call that area more "genteel" than the others you listed. Go into the Randalls across the street and you will get a feel for the average age. Schools are sought after in this area and may keep the property values up, although I would be curious to see if families with school age children are buying here. I'm guessing probably not but I don't know. I think the difference between here and the other areas you listed is the feeling of more space around you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the places listed.

Where is the job location?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Somerset Green is a new townhome community. It is in Memorial and that is an area in demand right up there with the others you listed.
Are you thinking of Memorial Green?

Memorial Green

I like the idea of Memorial Green, and agree that it's a fantastic location for families, but they seriously need to come down to earth on their pricing. On Redfin I see 3-4 story patio homes for ~$1.3 million, and detached homes on tiny lots (<5000 sq ft) for well over 2 million. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy something on a 10-15k sq ft lot in Memorial Forest or Bunker Hill Village.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM

264 posts, read 441,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Are you thinking of Memorial Green?

Memorial Green

I like the idea of Memorial Green, and agree that it's a fantastic location for families, but they seriously need to come down to earth on their pricing. On Redfin I see 3-4 story patio homes for ~$1.3 million, and detached homes on tiny lots (<5000 sq ft) for well over 2 million. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy something on a 10-15k sq ft lot in Memorial Forest or Bunker Hill Village.

So sorry! You are correct. I've had the wrong name in my head all this time. I even looked over at Memorial Green. You are right about the pricing. I was hoping this would be an area we could consider but I'm too old for the 3-4 story living. I still love the location though!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
There's a reason those homes are slow moving. It's not really a desirable area because of what's immediately surrounding it. It's perfectly safe, but doesn't have anywhere near the feel of Montrose, Heights, or Rice Military, and maybe more importantly, doesn't have the potential for it either.
They also went for a pretty high price point, a bit higher than what I would have suggested. The high end of the Inner Loop townhome market seems to have slowed down overall, since professional couples working in high-paid oil and gas jobs were a significant driver of that market.

That said, the environment within the community is lovely, with the water features and open space. Its immediately adjacent uses might not have much appeal, but the location is convenient to a lot of desirable areas.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,067 times
TXbywayof - I will be working Downtown.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston