Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM

101 posts, read 142,973 times

Advertisements

I am not a long time Houston resident and was with my family doing pre planning hurricane evacuations if we had to deal with a hurricane evacuation. I heard during hurricane Rita, it was said to have been an ordeal. Being near the South Eastern Side of the metro, I was looking at different strategies to making an evacuation much smoother. I laid out 2 options. For those who have survived Rita would these be viable alternatives.

1. Avoid expressways out of town and take ONLY neighborhood roads out of Houston. Even residential streets leading to western side of the metro would take much faster than the roads going north which is the most popular direction out of town.

2. Another option is to walk or bike out of Houston. I am an avid biker and have biked 100 or so miles on a consistent basis. I would first protect my belongings and secure my house. I would take money and take a bottle for water and simply bike out of town. It would take a few hours but if I biked slow and easy, and take sidewalks where people would not be.

Last edited by Stanton1433; 10-11-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM

581 posts, read 615,401 times
Another option for you.

3) Considering there is almost always sufficient notice of hurricanes making landfall, plan to leave a few days in advance of the storms arrival. This is ESPECIALLY prudent if you live on the SE side which is going to experience the most traffic issues if you try and leave right when everyone else is.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,714 times
Honestly option 1 is not a good idea. You need to replace that with:

1.) Evacuate early if you plan to do so

Do you really want to be stranded in some random (and potentially bad) neighborhood if things get hectic? There is usually plenty of advance notice if a hurricane is expected to make landfall. Now, I realize that the storms can shift as they approach the coast but it really wouldn't be wise to wait that long if you plan to leave. It is easier to just come back if the storm shifts direction.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:57 PM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Just grab a pamphlet from HEB. They put a great guide together.
https://www.heb.com/static/pdfs/SA-H...-Guide-Eng.pdf <<< web version
or check this pdf:
http://www.houstonoem.org/external/c...16-English.pdf
Evacuation maps:
http://togetheragainsttheweather.org...outemaps.shtml
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...on/houston.pdf
Other helpful links:
http://www.stevequayle.com/index.php?s=271
https://goo.gl/HPm4aw

Last edited by elnina; 10-11-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM

270 posts, read 406,170 times
Don't let what happened during Rita impact your planning too much - Rita was an anomaly due to the proximity of the Katrina event and the city's unpreparedness for a large volume of people evacuating who frankly should not have left since they were outside of evacuation zones.

Many lessons were learned and Ike was far more orderly. Use Elnina's resources, keep your car full of gas, have cash on hand, and have your "go kit" ready so you can leave easily when it becomes necessary. If you follow the evacuation instructions and routes you will be fine (and leaving early is a great idea).

Another option is crashing with a friend in Houston proper. Most of the city (especially the west side) is not in an evacuation zone and residents are encouraged to stay put to make room for those that must leave. It's really easy to get out of town after the storm exits the area if you want to escape the likely widespread power outages, the roads are wide open.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
I don't think we will ever have an evacuation as bad as Rita. I was one of those idiots that evacuated when I didn't need to and regretted it. As a result I stayed during Ike and was fine. I think most people west of Hwy 59 will stay and thus free up the roads for the people east of 59.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't think we will ever have an evacuation as bad as Rita. I was one of those idiots that evacuated when I didn't need to and regretted it. As a result I stayed during Ike and was fine. I think most people west of Hwy 59 will stay and thus free up the roads for the people east of 59.
Ditto this. Also, Rita was our first hurricane so we had no clue what to do. With Ike, we only lost power for a day and a half even so we were totally fine staying behind.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Ditto this. Also, Rita was our first hurricane so we had no clue what to do. With Ike, we only lost power for a day and a half even so we were totally fine staying behind.
I think a big Problem will be all the newbies that were not here for Ike. That should be like hazing for new residents to see if you can hack it .

Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Yes - Leave early if at all possible. It's stressful enough, don't add to it.

I left for both Rita and Ike. Night and day difference.

Rita took me about 4 hours I think to get from Galveston County to a relatives house in SW Houston. The side roads were just as jammed as the freeways. It took me and a relative over 24 hours to get to Dallas. I heard stories way worse than mine.

From Galveston Co to Ft Worth, Ike caused me a lot of delays, but it wasn't much worse than everyday traffic in many spots. The strange thing was coming home after the storm, one little town on I45 had no electricity. At all. Consequently every gas station and McDonalds and Jack-in-the-Box was closed. That poses a challenge when you stop for a restroom break in a town with multiple businesses, but nothing open. Oh yeah, that was an exponentially greater challenge during Rita.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Ok, since there won't be a ton of people reading this, I'll tell you the secret of evacuating.

Fill up your car early, but leave a few hours before the storm.

My wife left for Austin about four hours before Rita and only hit a slight delay in Brenham. She did the same for Ike and it was no different than any other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston