Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Little Saigon District" What do ya think ?
I like it ! 23 57.50%
I don't like it ! 8 20.00%
I don't care either way 8 20.00%
Undecided 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:32 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Huh? If anything naming sections highlight the diversity in the city. Opposing the idea makes it seem like the stereotype of the city being some conservative racist humid cesspool. New York City and L.A. have several Little "insert country" within the city and nobody bats a eye.
^^^ I agree. Not sure why are we so fighting against. Houston is a big, diverse city. People from different backgrounds (ethnics) like to live together, as you all probably noticed from the relocation questions.
If they don't oppose such idea, then who are we to dictate how they live?
If Vietnamese community is OK with "Little Saigon" then let it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 01:47 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think some people just don't like the moniker "little Saigon" for a variety of reason, from the fact it doesn't include other groups that live and do business in the area, to the name Saigon itself, being a reminder of a bitter piece of American history.
How weird this thread poped up while I am actually in the real Saigon ( Ho Chi Minh City for you slow people )

I am amazed how much Saigon is still used by the locals. They tell me it's the unofficial common name. Anyways probably went in a tangent. ......... I will show myslef out ======>

P.S. The girl I am seeing here tells me pho is for foreigners. They just don't get it why we like it so much.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:33 AM

52 posts, read 44,202 times
That's funny, I don't like Pho but I like a lot of other Vietnamese dishes. Maybe I was Vietnamese in a past life.

I agree that it's a shame anyone would have a problem with this, firstly because it comes across as intolerant/having race issues (even if it doesn't), and secondly because there are so many horrible things to have a problem with and this is pretty tame and harmless by comparison.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signOthetimes View Post
Let's create "Little Arabia"!
Actually it would be a good question of which Arabs? I don't even know what the demographics are in regards to that group. Are they mostly Lebanese, Syrian, Iraqi, Jordanian, Palestinian, Egyptian?

(Arabs from Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, and the UAE are wealthier and are a bit different compared to those from the Levant and Egypt)

Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Actually it would be a good question of which Arabs? I don't even know what the demographics are in regards to that group. Are they mostly Lebanese, Syrian, Iraqi, Jordanian, Palestinian, Egyptian?

(Arabs from Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, and the UAE are wealthier and are a bit different compared to those from the Levant and Egypt)
I would say any nation that primarily speaks Arabic, which would be Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and several more in the Middle East, but nations that do not speak Arabic (such as Turkey, Iran, Iraq) are often lumped into the category, but I don't think people from those nations consider themselves Arabs, and would correct someone who said they were Arabs.

I know where "Little Persia" or "Little Tehran" is, it's on Westheimer near Belt 8.

"Little Colombia" is on Richmond near Gessner.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Huh? If anything naming sections highlight the diversity in the city. Opposing the idea makes it seem like the stereotype of the city being some conservative racist humid cesspool. New York City and L.A. have several Little "insert country" within the city and nobody bats a eye.
It seems to me that it actually is a segregation move to start designating parts of town.

Little Italy, for example, in NYC wasn't because everyone thought it would be a great addition - it was in part because of Italophobia (the more things change, the more they stay the same).

Old 07-04-2016, 03:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Little Saigon. i like it.
Little Ho Chi Minh city. I Chris V will burn it down

Old 07-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
It seems to me that it actually is a segregation move to start designating parts of town.

Little Italy, for example, in NYC wasn't because everyone thought it would be a great addition - it was in part because of Italophobia (the more things change, the more they stay the same).
These days, if a part of town is named "Little Whatever", it's to celebrate the culture of whatever, and whatever's influence over that part of town and the area in general. It's a positive thing.

Little Italy today is part of what makes Manhattan great. As you know, it doesn't mean everyone in Little Italy is Italian and it doesn't mean there are no Italians outside it. I think Houston would benefit from "Little Whatevers."

Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Not until the Saudis agree to production cuts ! haha

Its a little harsh to suggest anybody who opposes any particular designation is doing so because of racist motives don't you think ?
I wasn't suggesting anyone was racist for opposing the idea, I was stating opposing the idea just reaffirms the stereotypes people have of Houston or the South for that matter as being openly racist and less tolerate of other cultures. Alot of people outside the city and the state think this. And news like this doesn't help the case much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post

I understand that was once the case when Italian immigrants first settled in America but that's clearly not the case in Manhattan now.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxelipsus View Post
These days, if a part of town is named "Little Whatever", it's to celebrate the culture of whatever, and whatever's influence over that part of town and the area in general. It's a positive thing.

Little Italy today is part of what makes Manhattan great. As you know, it doesn't mean everyone in Little Italy is Italian and it doesn't mean there are no Italians outside it. I think Houston would benefit from "Little Whatevers."
I'm fine with Little Saigon although there are other names I would prefer, "little Indochina" for one might be more apropos, but do they really need 1.7 miles of Bellaire Blvd? The Gandhi District is about 1/3 that size along Hillcroft and a name like that is more inclusive as well. BTW Chinatown, in Houston anyway, is a informal designation as are most of these "Little" whatever's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston