Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Little Saigon District" What do ya think ?
I like it ! 23 57.50%
I don't like it ! 8 20.00%
I don't care either way 8 20.00%
Undecided 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 5,449 times

Advertisements

I don't know if a Little Saigon district is a good idea. We don't need any massage parlors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:15 PM

226 posts, read 312,099 times
Alief residents fight plan to create 'Little Saigon' district | abc13.com

Apparently some area residents are opposed.

I'm pretty much neutral on it. Yes, the area has a large Vietnamese population, but I believe it also has many Lation and African residents, thus the "International District". And, as another poster mentioned, according to the ID signs in the area, Bellaire is also Saigon at least as far west as Synott, and in spots, Beechnut and Dairy Ashford also have Vietnamese names. And there are a LOT of signs already along Bellaire, because there are a lot of businesses along Bellaire.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:51 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,525,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everybody loves it, until somebody says "Let's create Little Mexico"
While we're at it why not "Little Canada " ?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:30 PM

196 posts, read 420,697 times
If they could re-create the city vibe of the real Saigon, they should go for it. First thing I'll do is buy a scooter.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think some people just don't like the moniker "little Saigon" for a variety of reason, from the fact it doesn't include other groups that live and do business in the area, to the name Saigon itself, being a reminder of a bitter piece of American history.
This.

I don't like it because the name excludes. We have a history in Houston of being a real melting pot - naming sections one race name or another screws with that.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,091,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
While we're at it why not "Little Canada " ?
That would have to be the Canadian consulate in the Uptown district (the consulate general is in Dallas)

We don't have much Canucks here. Try Michigan or Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
I'm pretty much neutral on it. Yes, the area has a large Vietnamese population, but I believe it also has many Lation and African residents, thus the "International District". And, as another poster mentioned, according to the ID signs in the area, Bellaire is also Saigon at least as far west as Synott, and in spots, Beechnut and Dairy Ashford also have Vietnamese names. And there are a LOT of signs already along Bellaire, because there are a lot of businesses along Bellaire.
AFAIK the corridor is only supposed to include businesses.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:45 PM

61,945 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
What's next? Are they going to start naming other places across the US with a lot of Chinese businesses Chinatown? Oh wait...
Well, that's popular in other big cities, and Houston has his own Chinatown. Houston has a second largest Vietnamese American population of any US city, after San Jose, CA. That should be recognized.
There are Koreantowns, Little Italy, Petit Senegal, Little Manila, Little India, Little Pakistan, Little Saigon (in NY), Little Germany, etc... so why not Little Saigon??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everybody loves it, until somebody says "Let's create Little Mexico"
Oh, I don't think we need to create "Little Mexico" districts. They are already here

Old 07-03-2016, 03:58 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,567,704 times
Just a waste of money and time. There are so many Vietnamese restaurants there anyway.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:24 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,647,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This.

I don't like it because the name excludes. We have a history in Houston of being a real melting pot - naming sections one race name or another screws with that.
Huh? If anything naming sections highlight the diversity in the city. Opposing the idea makes it seem like the stereotype of the city being some conservative racist humid cesspool. New York City and L.A. have several Little "insert country" within the city and nobody bats a eye.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:36 AM

6,296 posts, read 7,525,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signOthetimes View Post
Let's create "Little Arabia"!
Not until the Saudis agree to production cuts ! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Huh? If anything naming sections highlight the diversity in the city. Opposing the idea makes it seem like the stereotype of the city being some conservative racist humid cesspool. New York City and L.A. have several Little "insert country" within the city and nobody bats a eye.
Its a little harsh to suggest anybody who opposes any particular designation is doing so because of racist motives don't you think ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston