Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times

Advertisements

Part 1: In January 2016 I applied for the homestead exemption. With this exemption alone I am supposed to pay less tax than last year. I called Harris County Appraisal District and some other associated organization in March and they confirmed that they received my homestead application. And homestead should be in effect from April or May this year. But my property tax escrow payments had increased since May and never decreased again.

Part 2: Harris County Appraisal District sent me ridiculous tax increase this year. This is the reason why I started paying more from this May. I protested online in April, about two months ago, but haven't heard from them since then. Is this normal? Already two months. I have really strong case (found five larger properties in the same location appraised much lower). But when I will know the results or go to court to protest again?

However, even with this tax increase my homestead exemption is supposed to lower my tax payments. Why it is not working?

I called several numbers they gave to me, but none of those clerks gave me any clear response about my tax and homestead exemption. Where I should go next and how to complain about this? Looks like they skipped my homestead exemption somehow.

Maybe someone here knows about it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
With homestead they can still raise you 10% each year so no guarantee you would pay less with homestead then year before. Your account on hcad should show if homestead is applied. Keep in mind this years escrow is based on last years tax assessment.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
With homestead they can still raise you 10% each year so no guarantee you would pay less with homestead then year before. Your account on hcad should show if homestead is applied. Keep in mind this years escrow is based on last years tax assessment.
Well homestead removes 20%, so it still should be lower than a year ago. They gave me tax increase of about 10%, so there is supposed to be a decrease with homestead. And on hcad website I see 'protest received' status, but nothing about homestead exemption. How they just could skip it? Who do I have to call to find out the truth? How can I get a refund?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,811 times
The 10% homestead cap does not apply until your second full year of property ownership. If you purchased the property in 2015, this year the county can raise the value as high as they wish. The cap will not take effect until next year.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 AM

HCAD: Property Tax Exemptions for Homeowners

Specifically:
"...be aware that the value of the home, and the taxes, may increase substantially in the year following the year you purchase it. This is because your cap won't take effect until the second year after you purchase the home."

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
The 10% homestead cap does not apply until your second full year of property ownership. If you purchased the property in 2015, this year the county can raise the value as high as they wish. The cap will not take effect until next year.
Oh thanks for the info. Yes, I purchased the property in 2015.

But when tax protest will be in effect and will I get a refund if everything goes well? (I have strong case against this tax increase).

Old 06-06-2016, 12:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
You will get a refund from your escrow if your tax bill is significantly lower at the end of the year than what your mortgage holder calculated when they did their escrow analysis. Your escrow analysis is typically based on the value at the very start of the year, so any reductions won't be calculated until the next escrow analysis. If I remember correctly, banks have the right to withhold 2 months escrow as a buffer in your account at the time of analysis. Anything more gets returned to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Oh thanks for the info. Yes, I purchased the property in 2015.

But when tax protest will be in effect and will I get a refund if everything goes well? (I have strong case against this tax increase).

Old 06-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
You will get a refund from your escrow if your tax bill is significantly lower at the end of the year than what your mortgage holder calculated when they did their escrow analysis. Your escrow analysis is typically based on the value at the very start of the year, so any reductions won't be calculated until the next escrow analysis. If I remember correctly, banks have the right to withhold 2 months escrow as a buffer in your account at the time of analysis. Anything more gets returned to you.
^ This.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:59 PM

223 posts, read 262,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
It's one of the strongest arguments against escrow if you're diligent enough to save. Even at only 1% interest from Ally online, 14 months (time to re-factor escrow) of interest on 12K in taxes and insurance is $140. Not life changing money, but money you don't have to give away to your mortgage company for establishing a simple savings account and making two payments a year, either.

Repeat annually for a 15 year note term and it begins to be material. Even more so if Aunt Janet delivers us a rate increase in a few weeks.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,512 times
Are you calling to complain that your homestead exemption is not listed on the appraisal district's website or that your escrow amount is not lowering? If its not showing on the website, that is something they can look up and take care or. If its the payment amount, your bank does an escrow analysis once a year usually around the time you closed on the loan. They base it on the amount of tax you paid last year plus your insurance amount if that is paid by the bank directly. That amount will not change until the next analysis date even if you feel you are over paying. When the next analysis date comes, they will refund any overage you may have paid. The appraisal district has no control over that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston