Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

I am by no means a homophobic person but there are some issues that need to be addressed with the Gay community. I have no problem with people who say that gay rights is civil rights but please stop comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black American civil rights struggle because not all struggles are the same. Here's some things the Gay community needs to understand.

1. Black Americans paved the way for a lot of these minority groups(Gays, Hispanics, etc) to even have rights in this country. So please start showing some respect.

2. Stop expecting Blacks to automatically support your causes when Blacks are struggling to support their on causes. You can't a expect an oppressed group to help another minority group when we can barely help ourselves as a community.

3. Stop acting like racism doesn't exist in the homosexual community. Just because your gay doesn't mean you can't be racists or prejudice. Your sexuality preference has nothing to with your racial identity. Yeah, I know some of you don't want to here that but it's the cold hard truth.

4. It's very insulting to many African Americans when you say that homosexuals have suffered just as bad as Blacks have throughout American history. Of course we all know that is far from the truth.

I want to stress again that I don't hate homosexuals (just in case someone wants to defame my character) but this silliness when it comes to comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black rights struggle needs to stop. It's getting old and people are growing tired of it so please cut the crap!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Doesn't bother me in the least. Sorry to hear you're upset.

Maybe you could post an example or two?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Civil rights are civil rights.

I'm sorry, but blacks do not own civil rights struggles. And some of the very same arguments used against blacks are being used against homosexuals.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

I'm sorry, but blacks do not own civil rights struggles. And some of the very same arguments used against blacks are being used against homosexuals.
I never said Blacks own the civil rights struggle. I'm just saying stop comparing the gay civil rights with Black civil rights because they are not the same. Not all struggles are the same. There are different levels.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Have you ever heard of 1st world problems vs. 3rd world problems? That's a great example that not all struggles are the same. A person fighting for voting rights vs a person fighting to stay alive are two different levels of struggles/civil rights. So you're wrong, they are not the same.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Have you ever heard of 1st world problems vs. 3rd world problems? That's a great example that not all struggles are the same. A person fighting for voting rights vs a person fighting to stay alive are two different levels of struggles/civil rights. So you're wrong, they are not the same.
Do you realize that there were homosexuals fighting right beside blacks in their fight?
Do you realize that the people trying to deny us our rights are using some of the same arguments that they used against interracial marriage, and used to try to keep Jim Crow laws?

When the exact same arguments are used the same defense should be used.

No one is saying that the fights or the persecution is EXACTLY the same but they are very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JsRx2lois

Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Do you realize that there were homosexuals fighting right beside blacks in their fight?
Do you realize that the people trying to deny us our rights are using some of the same arguments that they used against interracial marriage, and used to try to keep Jim Crow laws?

When the exact same arguments are used the same defense should be used.

No one is saying that the fights or the persecution is EXACTLY the same but they are very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JsRx2lois
I'm not going to lie, you usually make great points with your posts but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm not talking about being against gay rights or suppressing it, I'm talking about trying to compare the gay rights struggle as if they went through the same struggles as Black Americans did and I have to strongly disagree with that. It's like trying to compare every struggle to The Holocaust. Not all struggles are equal when it comes to oppression.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I'm not going to lie, you usually make great points with your posts but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm not talking about being against gay rights or suppressing it, I'm talking about trying to compare the gay rights struggle as if they went through the same struggles as Black Americans did and I have to strongly disagree with that. It's like trying to compare every struggle to The Holocaust. Not all struggles are equal when it comes to oppression.
True.

However, I don't think anybody have said they are the same.

Gay and black, The shared struggle for civil rights. They are not the same, but they are all civil rights struggles.

You cannot compare or quantify pain or struggle.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Blacks being denied civil rights, is the same as women being denied civil rights, is the same as Native Americans being denied civil rights, is the same as homosexuals being denied civil rights. ALL were/are denied civil rights. ALL fought/are fighting for their civil rights. The fight is the same, the oppression may not be.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Blacks being denied civil rights, is the same as women being denied civil rights, is the same as Native Americans being denied civil rights, is the same as homosexuals being denied civil rights. ALL were/are denied civil rights. ALL fought/are fighting for their civil rights. The fight is the same, the oppression may not be.
They may all fight for civil rights (that Blacks have helped historically paved the way for) but I'm glad you can at least acknowledge that the struggles and oppression are not the same. So many people would be too prideful to admit that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies