Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Pesticides?
Nueces and Corpus Christi Bays have their own issues. There is a lot of agricultural runoff upstream from there. There are also oil refineries, gas, chemical and metal processing plants that dot those bays, and there have been several oil spills in there over time. I remember visiting Padre Island beaches as a kid and having tar stuck to my feet. Like Galveston, I know it has cleaned up since then but it's still not exactly a pristine environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM

101 posts, read 118,547 times
We have stayed in most of the major beach towns along 30a and love them all. Each has a unique character about them which makes them all special. One of the biggest factors in why we always spend at least a week there each year is the slower pace, lack of high rises and beach neighborhood atmosphere. If you are looking for a 1 bedroom condo (sleeps 4 w/ bunks) on the beach for ~ $300 a night I would look at this one: https://www.vrbo.com/332849

We stayed there a few nights on our way to Disney a couple summers ago...would definitely stay again if all I needed was 1 BR. Have also stayed in Seaside, Water Sound, Seagrove and Rosemary...all are exceptional.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree. If one takes beauty and crowds into consideration, this area is the top choice among those presented to this point. The next tier, IMO, would include Orange Beach and Gulf Shores (tstone's suggestions). The third tier would include Destin and Pensacola, and Panama would be last among the Florida and Alabama beaches mentioned so far. I've been to all of the Florida and Alabama beaches we each listed above. I would rank Panama City above Galveston . I've never been to Port Aransas, nor the South Padre area.
Crowds are insane in the areas from destin to Panama City during summer. In the peak of summer it can take an hour to go 15 miles. But so worth it. I love the 30a area and while the beaches and water are great --- they never quite reach the magnificent color that I see along scenic 98 in destin or some of the Panama
City beaches. Not sure why that is though. Still beautiful though. Gulf shores, al has nice beaches but not destin beaches but much better than Texas beaches. However, the activities and restaurants aren't as numerous as I'd expected.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
this threads already 4 pages long but its def worth the drive when the water is crystal clear carribbean style. 1st time to destin was like that, 2nd time resembled much like south padre island or even corpus. lots of road drive time wasted that 2nd time :/

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When my son was about that age we went to Rockport, TX and loved it
Their beach has almost zero waves and is very shallow, perfect for toddlers.
Wow Rockport is very nice. The Texas Riveria. From the pics the water looks blue, the sand nicer and overall the town looks cool. Good find. How far a drive from Houston?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:40 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
this threads already 4 pages long but its def worth the drive when the water is crystal clear carribbean style. 1st time to destin was like that, 2nd time resembled much like south padre island or even corpus. lots of road drive time wasted that 2nd time :/
The Florida water is magnificent, however, if you go following a recent week or days of rain, or a storm system out in the gulf -- you lose that beautiful, clear emerald green for a few days until the weather settles down. Luck of your trip timing. Hence, the more padre look. Although still remains much dark bluer than padre. Padre is more brown in color but clear and not silty like Galveston.

I love going to Galveston because I like the coastal vibe but it isn't a beach I care to go onto, other than a seawall walk about.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The Florida water is magnificent, however, if you go following a recent week or days of rain, or a storm system out in the gulf -- you lose that beautiful, clear emerald green for a few days until the weather settles down. Luck of your trip timing. Hence, the more padre look. Although still remains much dark bluer than padre. Padre is more brown in color but clear and not silty like Galveston.

I love going to Galveston because I like the coastal vibe but it isn't a beach I care to go onto, other than a seawall walk about.
pretty spot on id say! ill make sure and remember that for next time!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Nueces and Corpus Christi Bays have their own issues. There is a lot of agricultural runoff upstream from there. There are also oil refineries, gas, chemical and metal processing plants that dot those bays, and there have been several oil spills in there over time. I remember visiting Padre Island beaches as a kid and having tar stuck to my feet. Like Galveston, I know it has cleaned up since then but it's still not exactly a pristine environment.
No, using pesticides to kill the seaweed. The beach would be presentable, except for the seaweed choking the shoreline.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 PM

264 posts, read 441,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wow Rockport is very nice. The Texas Riveria. From the pics the water looks blue, the sand nicer and overall the town looks cool. Good find. How far a drive from Houston?
Rockport is primarily a fishing destination. It is a better place to visit if you own a home or condo there, preferably with a boat. Boating comes in second, bird watching third, and a beach destination last. It is a sleepy town and they want to keep it that way. There is not much in the way of good restaurants, the typical coastal fried seafood places. I think it would be a great destination for a family reunion or large gathering...rent a home, make sure someone brings a boat, and have rods and reels ready.

Radiolibre, I'd like to see the photo of the blue water you are looking at. The water varies season to season. Some years it's like, this is the prettiest I have ever seen it...other years there may be a brown tide.

For the beach experience, most seem to go to Port Aransas.

For the OP, definitely drive to the Florida panhandle if you are looking for incredible beaches and water. The sand is so powdery white that it doesn't get hot....a plus if you are taking a little one.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:36 PM

115 posts, read 147,135 times
wherever you go, put mom & baby on a plane and you can drive all the loot. Since we have kids, our road trips take at least 25% more time and my kids get car sick. Time it so that you can pick them up when they land. I vote for a family friendly condo on a private beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston