Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,006 times

Advertisements

I have this house that I could probably sell for $300K + in Spring Branch. I had renters there for last 3 years, but they just moved out. I was getting $2K / mo, which seemed to be average going rate for similar properties, but fairly low for something that I could sell for $300k. House is in great shape btw. With taxes going up, insurance is already fairly high, and the value for the property being fairly high, does it make sense to keep it and keep renters in? I could take that money and payy of my current mortgage instead and not to have to pay $10k/yr in interest. Or I could buy some other rental property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 05:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Rule of thumb for rent is 1% or a little more of current value. Sell it for $300K. Buy something else for $200K - rent for same $2000 - take the difference of the old rent house and the new rent house sales price and apply towards your current house. Recast the current house loan.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Rule of thumb for rent is 1% or a little more of current value. Sell it for $300K. Buy something else for $200K - rent for same $2000 - take the difference of the old rent house and the new rent house sales price and apply towards your current house. Recast the current house loan.
Do you think that formula holds true for upper end areas like the Heights, West U, Memorial, etc? I look at those homes all the time, and have a few rentals there and I get nowhere near 1% value...I look for a Cap Rate of about 3-6% and then bank some appreciation every year.

In this market where housing prices have been steadily rising, it seems nearly impossible to keep up with 1% of investment value.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
No it doesn't. Like you I have several and if I charged 1 percent for rent they would be vacant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Do you think that formula holds true for upper end areas like the Heights, West U, Memorial, etc? .

Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
Rental rates are more influenced by the quality of the house itself than sale prices are, especially in this relatively-soft rental market where tenants have lots of choices. For an older home in areas with fast-rising land values, it's very difficult to get 1%.

My wife and I have considered buying an older home in Spring Branch (or, ideally, Spring Valley Village) that we could rent out for awhile and eventually tear down (and build a home for ourselves on the lot). It's very difficult to make the numbers work - you'd be lucky to get $1500-2000 a month for a $500k teardown. The property itself will hopefully continue to appreciate, but until you sell it's just an unrealized gain that you're paying taxes on (and if you don't have a homestead exemption, your tax increases aren't capped).

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I have this house that I could probably sell for $300K + in Spring Branch. I had renters there for last 3 years, but they just moved out. I was getting $2K / mo, which seemed to be average going rate for similar properties, but fairly low for something that I could sell for $300k. House is in great shape btw. With taxes going up, insurance is already fairly high, and the value for the property being fairly high, does it make sense to keep it and keep renters in? I could take that money and payy of my current mortgage instead and not to have to pay $10k/yr in interest. Or I could buy some other rental property.
Keep renting it, until people forget that some kind of nasty industry is buried in between those neighborhoods. Due to that recent chemical inferno, I'd say you just lost 10%.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,609 times
If you suspect you will have trouble finding a tenant quickly, sell it.

If I were you, I'd list it for sale and as a rental and take whatever happens first.

Your dirt is valuable so all things being equal, I'd prefer the renter. The $2k also seems a little low. Can you do some modest cleanup and sprucing up the place so you can get a couple more hundred a month?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:14 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Do you think that formula holds true for upper end areas like the Heights, West U, Memorial, etc? I look at those homes all the time, and have a few rentals there and I get nowhere near 1% value...I look for a Cap Rate of about 3-6% and then bank some appreciation every year.

In this market where housing prices have been steadily rising, it seems nearly impossible to keep up with 1% of investment value.
No, it doesn't - but then the investors I know don't buy in those neighborhoods. In the higher end, renters are more or less "placeholders" as the property value keeps rising. That's a whole different investment strategy.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Keep renting it, until people forget that some kind of nasty industry is buried in between those neighborhoods. Due to that recent chemical inferno, I'd say you just lost 10%.
This can be said for anywhere in Houston....

Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Rental rates are more influenced by the quality of the house itself than sale prices are, especially in this relatively-soft rental market where tenants have lots of choices. For an older home in areas with fast-rising land values, it's very difficult to get 1%.

My wife and I have considered buying an older home in Spring Branch (or, ideally, Spring Valley Village) that we could rent out for awhile and eventually tear down (and build a home for ourselves on the lot). It's very difficult to make the numbers work - you'd be lucky to get $1500-2000 a month for a $500k teardown. The property itself will hopefully continue to appreciate, but until you sell it's just an unrealized gain that you're paying taxes on (and if you don't have a homestead exemption, your tax increases aren't capped).
This is where we are. When I lived there, the value of the house was ~120,000 per HCAD. Now it's doubled + no homestead exemptions, so taxes are going up. I don't mind renting property out because it's nice to have that income, but with taxes, insurance, maintenance on an older house, I am not happy with the return. I may sell this one and get something else - the house itself is not a teardown is still in really good shape (had really good renters there in last 3 years) and partially remodeled from 2007-2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: