Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:40 PM

18,241 posts, read 25,575,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
People Say it's unsafe because the population is predominantly Hispanic.
Amazing how many people think that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 22,699 times
Thank you all for the responses! Keep them coming!

So basically I should stay away from houses located in this red circle? Did I get this right?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,546,951 times
Quote:
People Say it's unsafe because the population is predominantly Hispanic.
Most people say it's unsafe due to the proximity of the chemical/petro plants which may explode or the toxic fumes constantly being released in the air. Not due to racial demographics.

My high school Government teacher grew up in Pasadena. She told us that the city's nickname "Stink-a-dena" came from the funny fumes from those smokestacks. But those plants produced much of the revenue for Pasadena ISD to be competitive with other Houston-area white-collar suburban school districts, like in Katy ISD where she taught my class.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:06 AM

8,899 posts, read 20,158,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Most people say it's unsafe due to the proximity of the chemical/petro plants which may explode or the toxic fumes constantly being released in the air. Not due to racial demographics.

My high school Government teacher grew up in Pasadena. She told us that the city's nickname "Stink-a-dena" came from the funny fumes from those smokestacks. But those plants produced much of the revenue for Pasadena ISD to be competitive with other Houston-area white-collar suburban school districts, like in Katy ISD where she taught my class.
Actually the nickname came from the closed down papermill. Papermills have a horrible smell and use all sorts of toxic chemicals. That plant is long gone. You really only smell the plants there now if you are close to hwy 225 and.east Houston. People on the south end have little to worry about as far as plants or incidents at plants are concerned.

Op I would widen your don't buy circle. I would try and get as close to fairmont parkway as you can.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:49 PM

880 posts, read 820,713 times
A lot of misinformation here from those who have no real exposure. we lived in Fairmont estates for 20 years. Plenty of $100k housing. The schools we were zoned to such as Turner elementary was just as good as our current Fbisd school. Lots of shopping now too

Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Actually the nickname came from the closed down papermill. Papermills have a horrible smell and use all sorts of toxic chemicals. That plant is long gone. You really only smell the plants there now if you are close to hwy 225 and.east Houston. People on the south end have little to worry about as far as plants or incidents at plants are concerned.

Op I would widen your don't buy circle. I would try and get as close to fairmont parkway as you can.
Ok so pretty much anywhere close to Fairmont is golden as far as safety is concerned. Anything much farther north or west of the area isn't desirable. Did I get that right?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,548,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrick View Post
What's up guys, I'm trying to buy my first house for under 90k (I'm single, in my twenties, no crazy obligations). I looked up the Houston area crime map and to my surprise, it shows Pasadena as being safe! Is this true? I understand it may stink in Pasadena and the schools may not be A+ schools, but is it a safe place to buy a primary residence?
I doubt it will be bad for you. I dart through Pasadena a lot, but I'm not a 4'9"-80 lb soaking wet gal, either, so I'm not going to get threatened or feel such, either. I was doing those drive-by home inspections for some time in grad school to make some scratch and I never felt unsafe. I legit felt unsafe in some neighborhoods south of HWY 146 in Baytown, though.

Too many sheltered folks here that think life only exists/matters west of 288/45. That's fine. They can keep their traffic and flooding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
A lot of misinformation here from those who have no real exposure. we lived in Fairmont estates for 20 years. Plenty of $100k housing. The schools we were zoned to such as Turner elementary was just as good as our current Fbisd school. Lots of shopping now too
Well, the other thread OP posted in had me falling over laughing when La Porte and "pollution" came up in the same sentence. I'm not sure what that poster meant--the end by San Jac Central or what, because I never felt polluted when I lived near Barbour's Cut, either. Some scuzzy folks in the apartment I lived in, but they hid like roaches when the PD would drive by.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:36 AM

8,899 posts, read 20,158,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrick View Post
Ok so pretty much anywhere close to Fairmont is golden as far as safety is concerned. Anything much farther north or west of the area isn't desirable. Did I get that right?
Yes. Don't get close to shaver. Look for areas zoned to bondy intermediate and Pasadena memorial high school and you'll be fine.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 AM

^^ Thank you! That helped me alot. I went to greatschools.org and was able to see the zoning area. Greatly appreciated!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 AM

48 posts, read 70,348 times
Yes, Pasadena is underrated. My husband grew up there, we lived there for the first several years after we got married and his Mom still lives in the same little old house, so we're by the area fairly frequently. Yes, it's blue collar and mostly Hispanic in the older areas close to 225 or Pasadena Mall. And there are some pretty scary gangs in certain areas. But the parts pointed out to you are not bad. And, the closer to outside BW8 and/or Fairmont are umm.. I can't say safer or nicer legally but - more in demand.

I want to second what was posted previously about La Porte. If you don't mind being off 146 then the areas near Sylvan Beach have some older but good homes and you can find both renovated "flip" properties and homes needing some cosmetic work for under 100k. Expect the prettier and well priced ones to go within days of listing.

Also as another poster said consider Clear Lake in the parts of Webster in 77598 especially if you would be good with a townhouse or condo. Some parts of 77058. Over all a more central location and close to restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. I expect once the construction on I45 is completed it will bump values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston