Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM

126 posts, read 365,926 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have pretty much had it living in the West LA area. We currently live in the Palms area (near Culver City). The surrounding areas include Culver, City, Mar Vista, Westwood, Century City and Beverly Hills.
We are looking at Pasadena because we have made several trips there over the past year and it seems like a nice city that has some middle class areas left. This no longer exists on the west side. Go North to Westwood, Century City, Beverly Hills and you have a nice environment with well behaved people but the prices are exeptionally high. Go south to Venice Blvd including Mar Vista and parts of Culver City and you have working class immigrant neighborhoods which means crying babies in restaurants and other businesses, shouting in stores, vendors selling junk from sidewlks, cars and major intersections, auto repairs being done on the street, people all speaking Spanish, etc. It is fast becoming third world here and we are tired of having to make the decision to do our business in Century City or Westwood and pay the higher prices or stay closer to home and pay lower prices but know we will have to tolerate this behavior.

We aren't naive and don't expect anywhere to be perfect but hope there is a place where there is less drama when doing simple things like grocery shopping, eating out or just going to the local Target. I would like to hear from some Pasadena residents on the quality of life there. Our experience there has been good but would like to have some further input from actual residents.

Last edited by alaplex; 12-21-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM

268 posts, read 890,259 times
I love Pasadena...my wife and I live in the Cal-tech area. We walk to south lake shops all the time. Pasadena has a lot of options for dinning and things to do like the Huntington or hiking. Compared to the traffic on the west side Pasadena will be a welcome change. The traffic is congested when everyone gets off work but other than that you can navigate around easily. Old town is great...that would be another area i'd like to live near, very walkable and the metro is there as well.

Hope that helps...yes we have bums too.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM

126 posts, read 365,926 times
Thanks for the input. I know you have bums too, but like I said, we don't expect a perfect world. After all this is LA. We're just trying to escape an area that is fast becoming a third world area.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
We have several relatives who live in Pasadena and all of them seem to enjoy it. It's a great city with a lot to do, is close to downtown L.A., has much to offer culturally, has great restaurants....not much not to like. I can imagine it would be a nice change from West L.A.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i'd say pasadena is probably all around a more liveable area than the westside, it's just lacking proximity to the ocean, which means hotter and smoggier summers.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'd say pasadena is probably all around a more liveable area than the westside, it's just lacking proximity to the ocean, which means hotter and smoggier summers.
Yes, but closer to te mountains where the air is a lot clearer.

Bob.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Yes, but closer to te mountains where the air is a lot clearer.

Bob.
Air is smoggier in the foothills and much cleaner the closer you get to the ocean. If you were being sarcastic I apologize.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i think bob meant that the air is cleaner up in the mountains.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Pasadena is a lot hotter in the summer months.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 PM

67 posts, read 324,848 times
I love Pasadena....The closer to Colorado blvd.(and South of there) the better....I was raised there until my early teens and I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles