Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 PM

167 posts, read 249,849 times

Advertisements

Its unhinged and out of control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 PM

24,279 posts, read 15,381,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
Its unhinged and out of control
Contact your elected officials. They make the laws.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:28 AM

55 posts, read 66,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by museumdad View Post
Yes, we once had an increase occur after a protest. We were able to get it down eventually, but that required litigation (which then meant that we needed to hire a company).
What happened? Was it just an error on their part or did they decide to raise it based on the evidence you brought?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:20 AM

2,049 posts, read 3,576,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
Texas is a non disclosure state. There is no way HCAD could get a hold of that appraisal unless you give it to them.
I've said this before, but the HCAD appraisal lady who came to my house shortly after purchasing it knew the exact price I paid. I saw it written down on her note pad. HCAD KNOWS what you paid for your house. And I did not return any of their surveys. Which is probably why they sent someone to my house. Granted that was the purchase price and not the appraisal. But they know!!

Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 AM
fnh

2,886 posts, read 3,946,606 times
And as I've said before, the law mandates that property taxes be levied on the market value of your home, and what better determining factor than the price you actually paid? Of course HCAD knows the sales price, it is incredibly naive to think they don't when any realtor has access to it. The only reason Texas is a non-disclosure state is because the realtor lobby wanted to control price information to protect their business.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,267,253 times
Hell, I know what price you paid for your house if you just give me your address. A Redfin.com account is free and has the price, some financing details, repair allowances, and a few other unimportant things. Non disclosure state means nothing.

There is another site that shows which neighbors own their homes outright, have 1 loan, 2 loans, or 2 loans with a HELOC.

My gut feeling is lots of people in here are mortgaged up to their eyeballs or they wouldn't be complaining about taxes which are comparatively low as a whole. If you're not professional enough to work 1 Saturday OT this year to cover your unexpected tax increase you need to move out, and into a place that is more your level. That also tells me you can't afford to maintain your house properly. Low taxes, poor maintenance = running down your entire area.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM

177 posts, read 203,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post

My gut feeling is lots of people in here are mortgaged up to their eyeballs or they wouldn't be complaining about taxes which are comparatively low as a whole.
They are only "comparatively low" if you are comparing within Texas. I am from Tennessee and the property tax rate there is ~3%, but that percentage only applies against the first 25% of assessed value of the property. That is a huge difference in property tax effective rates.

I am honestly surprised that a red state like Texas has such an archaic tax structure.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM

292 posts, read 552,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Hell, I know what price you paid for your house if you just give me your address. A Redfin.com account is free and has the price, some financing details, repair allowances, and a few other unimportant things. Non disclosure state means nothing.

This is not true, Redfin lists the last sold price of my current home as "Unknown" and we purchased over 2 years ago. Also, the listed Sold price of our previous home is also incorrect! Just because Redfin lists a number does not mean that is is correct. In addition, they also list the sold price of our previous home before that as "Unknown" as well. So that's 3 out of 3 that Redfin got wrong or does not have the data for on my property searches. 100% wrong on my searches is not a good percentage.

Last edited by Hangster; 03-29-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM

292 posts, read 552,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
They are only "comparatively low" if you are comparing within Texas. I am from Tennessee and the property tax rate there is ~3%, but that percentage only applies against the first 25% of assessed value of the property. That is a huge difference in property tax effective rates.

I am honestly surprised that a red state like Texas has such an archaic tax structure.
You have to also understand why that is the case, and it is because Texas does not have a State Income Tax.

I think Tennessee has no income tax but does have a 6% tax on interest and dividends.

States without income tax must make up for the tax revenue somehow.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,296,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
That is a possibility, but I am not sure how often that happens and if they have the resources to do that given the number of home sales that occur every year. Case in point, I have purchased 3 homes and on all of them, the initial appraised value from HCAD has always been considerably lower than what I have paid for them, as are the HCAD appraised values of the neighbors as well. Also, each time I protest, I was also able to get the appraised value lowered as well. It does help to have access to all the recent sales info to use as comps.
They have been doing it regularly the last 2 years, especially on new construction. New construction gets an astronomically high appraisal in hopes that you bring in your closing statement to prove your true value...They get full price, and you leave feeling like you beat the man.

They over appraised my house by more than 40% last year....the county knew exactly how big the house was from my building permits, and they still faked an additional 900 square feet, and created an imaginary 3rd floor b/c I have dormer windows...I had to take in my floor plans, and all of my builder draws showing what it actually cost to have it reduced last year.

Its getting out of hand, and the appraisals are all being standardized to the point that there is very little conflicting data any longer. All the lots are priced the same per sqft. All the houses are very close.

Your best bet these days is damage that your house has that lowers the improvement values....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston