Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 PM

172 posts, read 209,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Ah yes, I may have used the wrong term.

Often, weather data given is for general purpose use. Living in it is a different story. It's especially so when it comes to Houston. Like I said, stick around for awhile. You'll know what I mean.
The data is what it is; it shows the exact weather conditions Houston has experienced each day from the beginning of weather record until now. Living in it won't be any different. Besides, I definitely would stick around in Houston; its climate is Eden-like compared to the rest of Texas (and much of the US for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Oh look, the subtropical paradise brother Ynohtna is back, stuffing the ballot with yet another sock puppet.
Nice to see you too. How have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut View Post

Nice to see you too. How have you been?
Can't complain. How is that research paper coming along? Is your college in danger of losing accreditation?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Can't complain. How is that research paper coming along?
I finished my research paper, just need to make the final edits.

Quote:
Is your college in danger of losing accreditation?
Far from it; I am an Owl.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,156,789 times
The humidity is far to oppressive to have the word best and climate in the same sentence.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The humidity is far to oppressive to have the word best and climate in the same sentence.
The humidity in Houston at least yields the benefits (the frequent thunderstorms for lush green, and cooler atmosphere). In much of Texas, humidity is still quite high, enough to feel the mugginess, but there is a strong dry season where rain can't be counted on, right when the hottest part of the year occurs.

Also, humidity is high, but the atmosphere isn't muggy, during the period from November to March.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,321,687 times
Now if we could just get a hold of the chemical plants this atmosphere would be really nice.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,942,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
But for me it's better than being freezing cold and no sun for like 6 months straight.
Came down here from upstate NY and it's uber depressing and painfully cold up there. Summer though... gorgeous.
I can deal with heat much better than cold. Those record setting hot days we had this summer, I was out running at lunch.
I would like a nice medium though. 4 real seasons would be nice. Just skewed warmer rather than colder.
But this is the false dichotomy. You don't have to choose between bitter cold and hot and humid. There are places where it's nice all year (California).

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm asking this a little tongue in cheek, but did your car not have a windshield? I think part of it is I picked up the convertible shortly after moving back from a 5 yr stint in the Northeast. I suppose the Winters there thickened my blood enough to make the Winters here relatively mild.
There is a lot of wind even with a windshield, even with windows up. Now they have those blockers on the back of the neck (not sure what they're called) but I had a Ford Mustang and the rear passengers froze. I always had a blanket back there.

The ideal temp for me to drive around with the top down was about 82-88, with windows down and top down and the wind felt great, didn't even need A/C on.

At night it was great to drive around with top down in the summer.

Winter nights were too damn cold, the coldest I tried was 48 and even with heat on full blast and windows up, leather jacket on, passengers were complaining.

The only time I got hot was waiting at stop lights when it was like 95+ with the sun beating down as there was no wind.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut View Post
Exactly how I feel. See, people in Southeast Texas just shouldn't be complaining about summers in Houston, as the summers in the rest of the state are far worse, just far too dry in terms of lack of precipitation, and too hot, with average highs near triple digits.

And about sunshine, Houston has more than enough of it year-round. People talk about mid-winter as being gloomy, but I'm just not seeing it; yes, cloudy days come more frequently than in summer, given cold front passages, but those go on to pass through the rest of the US, and after the passage, you gets many days of clear sunshine with nice temps...

Houston/Southeast Texas just has a nice combination of warm, wet summers, and mild winters, great for plant growth, as you state. In fact, I'd venture to say that, with the exception of South Louisiana and peninsular Florida, Southeast Texas has the best combination of warmth and wetness for encouraging large diversity in lush plant growth; the entirety of metro Houston would literally be green, forested jungle, if not for certain southern areas having the expansive clay soil.

You mean you actually like Austin's hot, nigh-rainless summers?

This is exactly how I feel; it is the reason why I despise the climate of the entire state, with the exception of Southeast Texas. Southeast Texas has plentiful cloud cover, humidity, and rainfall during summer to suppress the heat much of the time, while the rest of the state just bakes.

True in most cases, but I make exceptions for Southeast Texas (has the great, marine subtropical climate typical of the US Southeast), as well as the coastal part of the state, especially the southerly areas (winter snowbirding).

I agree that there are better climate places than Southeast Texas; that's why I listed what I would say the ideal summer climate is Mumbai. Mumbai is pretty much the epitome of perfect summer weather:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai#Climate

However, in regards to the CONUS US, Southeast Texas ranks pretty high on my ideal climate list; the only places better in my opinion are peninsula Florida, and parts of Southern Louisiana. Southeast Texas falls short of these places as it doesn't have as great a combination of mild winter climate AND winter mildness; compared to Southeast Texas, South Louisiana has similar winter mildness, but greater precipitation, and peninsular Florida has greater amounts of both winter warmth and precipitation. But in all these areas, all 12 months of the year are perfect, or close to being so.
Yes I love Austin's hot rainless summers. My preferred climate is Mediterranean like California. Austin's summers remind me of Sacramento's which I feel has the best summer weather in the country, hot and dry in the day, cool at night.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes I love Austin's hot rainless summers. My preferred climate is Mediterranean like California. Austin's summers remind me of Sacramento's which I feel has the best summer weather in the country, hot and dry in the day, cool at night.
I guess I like plentiful rainfall with my summers; I find the Med climates of California even less ideal than that of Austin, simply because those areas are guaranteed not to have any rainfall/thunderstorms during summer. Houston/Southeast Texas seem to be the only areas of the state that get plentiful rainfall throughout summer. Summer thunderstorms are the essence of summer indeed; this place has it right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolkata#Temperature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston