Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,193,904 times

Advertisements

I've lived in several places with different climates as well. Of all of them, I would say Columbia, MO and Denver were my favorites. Wichita Falls was the worst. Houston was pretty low on the list as well.

As far as mosquitos, the worst mosquito issues I ever experienced was one particular summer in Denver. They have tons of mosquitos in the area where I lived, and the city refused to spray for them. It was awful. Far worse than anything I had ever experienced living here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,612 times
Ive found mosquitos bad in all of texas except for extreme NW. My guess because in the time I was there water didn't exist.

I LOVE houston weather. I say best in the state for below reasons:

1. Grow conditions - you could plant a desk chair and a tree would grow. Ive got virtually all of the popular showy tropicals in my backyard and theyve been hardy. My friend in austin cant even grow ginger or azaleas. Ginger here once planted will take over. By comparison the other major cities in texas are brown and dusty

2. Sun - all the time except for mid winter which gives me just enough of a depressing winter season to understand why northerners hate it so much. At the same time the sun doesnt feel like its ten feet above your head like hot sunny days in dallas, austin or NW texas.

3. Summer - I love extreme heat. I workout all summer day or night. Just drink extra water and hit shaded trails or my neighborhood if im running in the afternoons. Been doing that since middle school. When it hits 50degrees i feel like my bones freeze over. Fortunately afternoons nearly always warm up

4. Fall and spring - amazing. Best weather in the US. Mid november I still have flowers and plants blooming most years

5. Enough water - typically. I cant stand dry heat. Allergies are worse. Your skin is worse. I get nosebleeds even in austin because its too dry for me. I like humidity.

6. Moderated extremes - not as hot for as long as austin, dallas, not as cold as either, never in as big of a drought.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,902,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Lol, I'm the opposite. I used to own a convertible (life pre-kids), and I LOVED driving with the top down in the fall and even winter on days like today (moderate temps = 60 degrees at the moment, lots of sunshine, relatively low humidity). If I weren't in the office then I'd be at the park with my kiddos. I NEVER had the top down during the Summer. It was just too hot & humid to really enjoy it. Owning that car got me thinking of Houston as 50% Summer, 50% everything else.
When I had a convertible I found with the wind it was just too damn cold when the temp was below 70. It could be 65 and I'd have to have the heat on full blast with the top down. When it was warmer you can simply roll the windows up and crank the A/C but the top still down.

So to each his own.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,902,803 times
Houston is better in the winter IMO, all other seasons are worse.

Austin is that sweet spot where all seasons are just about perfect (for Texas).

Old 01-24-2016, 05:01 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Agree with you 100%.

Some of you people probably never left Texas before. There is just no way how anybody could enjoy 101 degrees 90 days in a row.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,280,433 times
Default Subjective...

As others have mentioned, the climate description is subjective, I don't fault the OP.

My experience... I've been in Houston now for 36 years, moving here when I was 17. People say "you'll get used to the humidity, and it won't bother you". No. I did tolerate the humidity, but acceptance and tolerance are two different things, and the humidity still bothers me.. I should mention, I grew up in El Paso.

What I do like... the sound of thunderstorms, watching lightning storms, the sound of rain falling on my tin roof, the panic *AND* preparedness before the approach of a hurricane in our path, watching the news and seeing the new residents of Houston go crazy and purchase everything.

I went to El Paso this past Christmas because I had not been in some 25+ years. I met some friends whom I've only kept up with phone calls, text, or word of relatives. They all said I look young, and a lot of that I took as polite exchanges. However, I could not help but notice their wrinkled, and dark skin. My wife also made the comment. I don't do anything for my skin, I'm not into my looks at all, just an normal dude, but I've got to say, I don't have the leathery skin, or any wrinkles, crows feet, etc., like my family/friends from El Paso do. I am not "plump" either. I attribute the lack of wrinkles/leathery skin to the humidity in Houston, which I hate! Now, isn't that something?!

I'm in the twilight years of my career, retirement is around the corner and I'm at the corner! I will be moving to a place where I like the climate, where I can have meals 'al aire libre' in the Spring, Summer and Fall. It is NOT Houston. Life is great, I cannot wait!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 01-24-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
You don't live in Texas for the weather.

Houston has maybe three good months, if it's not raining and gloomy grey during them.

I agree with Hook, better places to be once you can.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
There is just no way how anybody could enjoy 101 degrees 90 days in a row.
But for me it's better than being freezing cold and no sun for like 6 months straight.
Came down here from upstate NY and it's uber depressing and painfully cold up there. Summer though... gorgeous.
I can deal with heat much better than cold. Those record setting hot days we had this summer, I was out running at lunch.
I would like a nice medium though. 4 real seasons would be nice. Just skewed warmer rather than colder.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 PM

172 posts, read 208,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Ive found mosquitos bad in all of texas except for extreme NW. My guess because in the time I was there water didn't exist.

I LOVE houston weather. I say best in the state for below reasons:

1. Grow conditions - you could plant a desk chair and a tree would grow. Ive got virtually all of the popular showy tropicals in my backyard and theyve been hardy. My friend in austin cant even grow ginger or azaleas. Ginger here once planted will take over. By comparison the other major cities in texas are brown and dusty

2. Sun - all the time except for mid winter which gives me just enough of a depressing winter season to understand why northerners hate it so much. At the same time the sun doesnt feel like its ten feet above your head like hot sunny days in dallas, austin or NW texas.

3. Summer - I love extreme heat. I workout all summer day or night. Just drink extra water and hit shaded trails or my neighborhood if im running in the afternoons. Been doing that since middle school. When it hits 50degrees i feel like my bones freeze over. Fortunately afternoons nearly always warm up

4. Fall and spring - amazing. Best weather in the US. Mid november I still have flowers and plants blooming most years

5. Enough water - typically. I cant stand dry heat. Allergies are worse. Your skin is worse. I get nosebleeds even in austin because its too dry for me. I like humidity.

6. Moderated extremes - not as hot for as long as austin, dallas, not as cold as either, never in as big of a drought.
Exactly how I feel. See, people in Southeast Texas just shouldn't be complaining about summers in Houston, as the summers in the rest of the state are far worse, just far too dry in terms of lack of precipitation, and too hot, with average highs near triple digits.

And about sunshine, Houston has more than enough of it year-round. People talk about mid-winter as being gloomy, but I'm just not seeing it; yes, cloudy days come more frequently than in summer, given cold front passages, but those go on to pass through the rest of the US, and after the passage, you gets many days of clear sunshine with nice temps...

Houston/Southeast Texas just has a nice combination of warm, wet summers, and mild winters, great for plant growth, as you state. In fact, I'd venture to say that, with the exception of South Louisiana and peninsular Florida, Southeast Texas has the best combination of warmth and wetness for encouraging large diversity in lush plant growth; the entirety of metro Houston would literally be green, forested jungle, if not for certain southern areas having the expansive clay soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

You mean you actually like Austin's hot, nigh-rainless summers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Agree with you 100%.

Some of you people probably never left Texas before. There is just no way how anybody could enjoy 101 degrees 90 days in a row.
This is exactly how I feel; it is the reason why I despise the climate of the entire state, with the exception of Southeast Texas. Southeast Texas has plentiful cloud cover, humidity, and rainfall during summer to suppress the heat much of the time, while the rest of the state just bakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You don't live in Texas for the weather.
True in most cases, but I make exceptions for Southeast Texas (has the great, marine subtropical climate typical of the US Southeast), as well as the coastal part of the state, especially the southerly areas (winter snowbirding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Houston has maybe three good months, if it's not raining and gloomy grey during them.

I agree with Hook, better places to be once you can.
I agree that there are better climate places than Southeast Texas; that's why I listed what I would say the ideal summer climate is Mumbai. Mumbai is pretty much the epitome of perfect summer weather:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai#Climate

However, in regards to the CONUS US, Southeast Texas ranks pretty high on my ideal climate list; the only places better in my opinion are peninsula Florida, and parts of Southern Louisiana. Southeast Texas falls short of these places as it doesn't have as great a combination of mild winter climate AND winter mildness; compared to Southeast Texas, South Louisiana has similar winter mildness, but greater precipitation, and peninsular Florida has greater amounts of both winter warmth and precipitation. But in all these areas, all 12 months of the year are perfect, or close to being so.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
But for me it's better than being freezing cold and no sun for like 6 months straight.
Came down here from upstate NY and it's uber depressing and painfully cold up there. Summer though... gorgeous.
I can deal with heat much better than cold. Those record setting hot days we had this summer, I was out running at lunch.
I would like a nice medium though. 4 real seasons would be nice. Just skewed warmer rather than colder.
But that is not the question here.

It is not take winter snow or 101 summer.

The question is I love Houston weather. There are lot other place that have better winter climate. Most of California have great climate. Florida have the Texas climate but milder summer, which I would argue is the better climate compare to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston