Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,238,220 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best fitness centers within the Inner Loop? They may have gyms with TVs and entertainment, group fitness and martial arts classes, and amenities such as steam room, sauna, hot tub, locker rooms, etc.

If you can name a few, or even go to one of those, can you tell me what the monthly membership fees are like (approx)?

I'm trying to decide whether to pay an extra $50-80 in rent for a more luxurious apartment complex that includes its own fitness center, or save that much per month for an apartment without a fitness center and then pay the membership fees for a fitness center elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,130,306 times
ahem you can meet people at the gym. choose wisely

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM

So far I found:

1) FIT Athletic Club. Emailed them and asked about membership, they said it's $75/mo with a $150 start up fee, which could be waived if I pay upfront for 12 months in advance. Paying for 12 months upfront would cost $900, and would get additional 6 months free... averaging $50/mo over 18 months. This gym is located on W Gray St, near the Buffalo Bayou park.

2) Downtown Club. $85/mo, $200+ start up fee, right in downtown where I could go there after work.

3) Timberline Fitness. Next to St Thomas U in Midtown, don't know the member rates.

Are these good deals compared to the fitness center I would get in a luxury apartment complex, despite the commute?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,605,783 times
FIT Athletic Club would be ideal in the inner loop. They have great programs and friendly staff from what I have heard. Downtown Club would be better for you since you can spend more time in the Gym then on the road. As for apartments they don’t have as much equipment but get the job done, if you are looking to run on treadmills and do some light lifting.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
FIT Athletic Club would be ideal in the inner loop. They have great programs and friendly staff from what I have heard. Downtown Club would be better for you since you can spend more time in the Gym then on the road. As for apartments they don’t have as much equipment but get the job done, if you are looking to run on treadmills and do some light lifting.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Downtown Club would be nice due to proximity to work, but it runs a little more expensive than FIT Athletic Club. I'll call them to see if I can get a deal worked out. As for apartments, having a pool is more important than a fitness center, at least to me. I'll have to start getting used to the summers down there!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Did you find an apartment ?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Did you find an apartment ?
I found about 20 some apartments in the areas I want, but haven't picked one yet. The company that hired me is going to have someone help with the relocation, and I plan on staying in a hotel in Houston for a few nights to explore the area and view some apartments. I hope to get that started by next Monday, and make my choice and move in by next Wednesday.

In the beginning, I was looking for those with both a pool and fitness center, but now I'm looking at ones with just a pool and no fitness center and they're about $100-150 cheaper in rent on average.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,427,650 times
If you go ON THE CHEAP at a health club, you will get a bad clientele. Out West, we have a chain called 24 Hour Fitness. My locker was broken into but nothing was taken. (My keys stay with me and I lived down the street). Thus, you have to spend at least $50-60 for a good health club that keeps out low-life, so don't go for the good health club at the apartment complex, which you might not use. Seeing people exercising and getting results is often good incentive to do so yourself. You won't get that at an apartment complex.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I found about 20 some apartments in the areas I want, but haven't picked one yet. The company that hired me is going to have someone help with the relocation, and I plan on staying in a hotel in Houston for a few nights to explore the area and view some apartments. I hope to get that started by next Monday, and make my choice and move in by next Wednesday.

In the beginning, I was looking for those with both a pool and fitness center, but now I'm looking at ones with just a pool and no fitness center and they're about $100-150 cheaper in rent on average.
Well good luck with your search. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM

448 posts, read 1,590,135 times
join the YMCA downtown or on post oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston