Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times

Advertisements

My husband accepted a job offer this week and we are moving to Houston. I'm excited because Houston seems to have a lot of what we want.

I'd like to hear different people's experiences about commute times. How long is your commute each way and how do you feel about it? Does anyone have a long commute but it is worth it to you for some reason?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My husband accepted a job offer this week and we are moving to Houston. I'm excited because Houston seems to have a lot of what we want.

I'd like to hear different people's experiences about commute times. How long is your commute each way and how do you feel about it? Does anyone have a long commute but it is worth it to you for some reason?

Thanks!
I do not live there nor have I ever been there BUT, my best friend just moved to Houston 3 weeks ago. She lives 20 miles from work and she says that it takes her anywhere from 1 hour, 20 min to 2 hours to get to work. Having never been there, I don't know if that is because she is new and doesn't know shortcuts, but she has said traffic is heinous. In fact, she has lived in several states and driving in Houston scares her more than other places as she is just not used to the bad traffic. She is currently looking to break her lease and move closer to work.

j

Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
I lived in The Woodlands (for work reasons, I would never submit myself to that on purpose) for a while and worked there and in Downtown and the Galleria area. I had to drive in because I needed my car for business lunchs and meetings. The commute could be up to two hours if there was a wreck. An "easy drive in was An hour and 15 minutes. It was H O R R I B L E. So much of your life is spent sitting in a car hoping the idiot next to you doesn't hit you. I'm back in Houston, I can walk to work if I want to, but usually drive in, 5-10 minutes door to door. Everything I need is all within 1 mile. I would never ever do an xbutb commute again.
Live close to work, have those extra 12 hours a week to workout and enjoy family. Live life, compromise that "perfect tract house" for the location house and in the end you will live longer for it.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 AM

50 posts, read 62,866 times
We lived 45 and Louetta and worked d-town area. We generally took the Hardy and it was about an hour and cost an extra$ per day. We were 30ish (no lower thna 30) miles out! If we weren't on the Hardy, it was about 1 1/2 hours...

If you are going to be stay at home - you wouldn't have to worry about it!

We live near Garden Oaks and it now takes 20 minutes

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM

Why wouldn't I worry about it if I were staying at home? I care about my husband's sanity.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Where is he going to work? What is your price range? Most of us can suggest good places without the crazy commute, or less of one. You're nice to think of your spouse. Spouses's commute and welfare should come first, kids school second. I know that goes again the suburban grain of thinking, but it makes for a good marriage and a sound family. And really good school can be found ANYWHERE inthe metro.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Default Commute

He will be working near NASA but will fly out of town a lot, so the airport locations matter.

My frustration is that all the stuff I like to do seems to be located in the west and downtown parts of Houston metro, not close to NASA. I don't think we can afford anything we would like in good areas of downtown. We aren't going to buy anything until we know Houston better but our budget will be $300K or so.

Last time we bought a house that was a good commute but far from things like favorite grocery stores and gyms (and yes, I have uniquely strong preferences in these areas), I swore I wouldn't make the same mistake again, but all the reports of hideous commute times in Houston are scaring me a lot!

He does have 30 days of corporate housing to test drive any location before signing a lease. We are assuming we aren't in the price range to get close in so we are looking at Friendswood, Pearland, and Sugar Land.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM

Well Hobby Airport is on that side of town. It's possible he can catch SoutWest flights to where he needs to go.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
What favorite stores, etc are you looking for? Clear Lake is in this area, is the name of a super-neighborhood in the extreme SE part of the city of Houston... And people walk/jog the main streets here almost every day, for both exercise and shopping. More than what many people believe.

I am in a 'suburban' style neighborhood but within 5 minutes walking distance of a grocery store, bank, haircutter, liquor store, Pizza Hut, gas station and a plastic surgeon among others. I can walk 10 mins the other way and get to the next plaza. It's not going to be as "walkable" as some parts of Houston as it is fairly spread out, but it's better than just about any other suburb. Walking around League City, Friendswood or Pearland? Forget it.

Zip codes are 77058, 77059, 77062. We're about 15 minutes from NASA, no freeways involved. About 15-20 mins from Hobby (HOU), but an hour from Intercontinental (IAH).

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM

We go to Whole Foods Market several times per week, and we want a family fitness place like Lifetime Fitness that has a ton of programming for our children (not just a child care like thing, but a full array of exercise options in bad weather).

My favorite department store is Nordstrom.

I will also be driving to Austin a lot for both professional and personal reasons, but that's a secondary concern since that won't be a daily jaunt.

I won't need the plastic surgeon for a few more years, but maybe will need one then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston