Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 AM

26 posts, read 26,908 times

Advertisements

I've called for a free termite inspection and they told me a fairy tale about protecting my house from all kinds of pests. Have you heard about their performance? Any reviews, advice? Is there a better company for the Houston area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
I had an awesome Terminix technician who never tried to upsell, and even came out after hours once for a concern of my partner. But I cancelled service in early 2014 because I just didn't see the value in it. I am SE of Houston. Personally I don't get enough bugs to warrant an exterminator. I have fierce, ninja-like, 9-lb roach slayer(only get them in garage), and so far that's all I have needed.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,572 times
Get something call Tengard SFR and spray once every quarter surrounding your house and you will never see another bug again in your house. Pretty simple process and take me about 10 minutes to do once every 3 months.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Timely post. I have used Terminix for multiple properties for the past 6-7 years. I just had my recent quarterly service and it was just under $100. That was for exterior only. I have a large home, but still, this is a ridiculous amount for exterior only service and more than I wrote down would be the cost when I set up this service. I am hoping it's just a billing error, but if it isn't, I will almost certainly cancel my contracts with them and use a smaller, locally owned provider.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Not worth it...

They are not unlike any other business who sells something cheap, but its main goal is "subscriptions". Kind of like how HP sells really cool all in one printers (copy, fax, print, scan, email) for $99, but its the cost of the ink and paper that get you.

That is the goal, getting you to pay them each month for nothing. Smaller locally owned business can do the same job when you need it, and not require a contract. I used to have a Terminex contract and I did have termites, but after the first treatment I never had them, yet I held the contract for 3 years and they came out only once when I called them, just to check. When it came time to renew, I declined; when I was on the phone with a salesperson, I asked what they were doing for me, not what they 'could' do for me, and all I heard were crickets because that answer was not in their script. I cancelled, and did not have any bug problems.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:01 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,229 times
I called them regarding termite inspection which was long pending. The test came out negative and then came the pitch for all their services. So far their service had been ok but they don't come out as frequently as the other ones did. Its more expensive than other local options what we have. I will be cancelling them soon.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:11 PM

26 posts, read 26,908 times
Thank you for all the responses! It seems the verdict is clear.

Here's also my short story: I signed up for their "free termite inspection". It was supposed to be this past Saturday at 10am. At 9.30 I got a call from their guy, who asked me to describe the problem. Doesn't sound like a red flag, does it? I give a quick description on these small holes on a wooden built-in bench, and that since it's cleaned regularly I'm not sure if there is any wood dust to classify them positively as termites. Then he told me that this sound more like powderpost beetle, and that since that's classified as "pest" and not as "termite', he won't come to my house to look at it. He kept denying it being termites without ever having taken a look at it!! I mentioned the wood-filled bin and the bugs in it, and he said "Oh, yes, it's the same thing. Or any other bug, we have a lot of them in Texas. But all of these would be pests, not termites, so it's not a free inspection. But if you sign up for our policy (then proceeded to give me his business pitch), we'll come to treat them". And when I asked - what can you do with my built-in bench if I sign up for the policy, he said: "Nothing, really, since it's been stained and painted. If it was raw wood, then - yes, but now we can maybe fumigate it, but we're not sure it would work. Maybe someone can come and put a chemical in the little holes, but that's not very effective". How is it OK to pay $100 every three months for "maybe"?!

Well done termite inspection! Over the phone, while I describe what I see. DONE WITH TERMINIX!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
It's worth it if you live in an area infested with termites and you don't have the time or are too lazy to diy.

For me, I rather spend the little bit of money on pesticides and 30 minutes to do the job myself. I'm saving hundreds a year, but might be putting myself at risk to the toxic fumes.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
We use abc pest pool and lawn because wasps kept getting inside the house through the weep holes. We finally gave in and called a pest control company. Should have done that a long time ago. No more wasps, other little insects and first summer we never had to fight antbeds in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston