Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM

925 posts, read 4,707,705 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The house we are willing to buy has Terminix coverage. Do you think it is a good idea to carry on with the service?

They charge around $500 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM

136 posts, read 893,910 times
NO! I paid that much for a couple years but still had ants (in CA) and roaches (in TX). Quit the service in both places and nothing changed. Yeah I still had the bugs but no more than when I was paying to poison my house! Then I moved to another house in TX and no bugs AND no service. Yahoo.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM

But if you have termites in your house then Terminix will fix it using the $500 per year payment.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
You can Google Terminix for many, many stories of fraud by them. Many times they will just come and spray water to save costs instead of chemicals. Often they will say they have removed termites when they have not.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Hmm! so any alternatives!

How do you protect yrself from termites?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
You don't. You treat them when you get them. There are 2 different types and it would be costly indeed to protect against both when you may never get them. The best thing to do is to take common precautions i.e. keep mulch/garden beds/ bushes away from side of house, etc.

My parent's house is 41 years old and has never seen a case of termites, mine is older and never a problem because common precautions are taken.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
I put pieces of wood somewhere easier for termites to find so I will know when to go for extreme measures. I check around everytime I mow the lawn (treat ants normally). for general pest defense I just grab a bag from home depot every now and then.
as for terminix, I'll do everything myself to avoid letting people in my yard without my permission

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,708 times
i do the same thing. I actually took some nice termite friendly pieces of dry wood and bury it the ground about 40 feet from my house. I drill a few holes in it and coat it with termidor. Just enough to make them sick and carry it to their relatives. Works like a champ.

If the home is new construction, use Boracare Borate treatment. It will penetrate the wood. Termites and bugs hate borax. Then spray the perimeter with termidor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I put pieces of wood somewhere easier for termites to find so I will know when to go for extreme measures. I check around everytime I mow the lawn (treat ants normally). for general pest defense I just grab a bag from home depot every now and then.
as for terminix, I'll do everything myself to avoid letting people in my yard without my permission

Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
i do the same thing. I actually took some nice termite friendly pieces of dry wood and bury it the ground about 40 feet from my house. I drill a few holes in it and coat it with termidor. Just enough to make them sick and carry it to their relatives. Works like a champ.

If the home is new construction, use Boracare Borate treatment. It will penetrate the wood. Termites and bugs hate borax. Then spray the perimeter with termidor.
my termite trap.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ysiwygwall.jpg

i got some loose wood (not treated) and loose rocks behind that so they have their own environment basically making it a more hospitable area than my house. that also is the street side of the subdivision where they will be more likely to be crawling in from. well atleast thats the plan. I do spread some of that insect granules once a year

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 08-15-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston