Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,275,472 times

Advertisements

Well, that escalated quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,923,393 times
Why is this thread turning into a debate about schools?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 PM

16 posts, read 14,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Oh okay, and you're not trying to be argumentative at all with the above comment?
No, I'm unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on how much trouble I get into) sarcastic by nature.

I don't understand the need you feel to defend your thoughts against me, I haven't been on this forum very long and I wasn't talking to you to begin with. I was answering to the OP and you felt the need to post this long post in response to mine and accuse me of damning an entire zip code...which was far from the truth. I never claimed to have all the answers, I just speak of what I do know about the exact area (not the entirety of 77095) that the OP is talking about. I mean, I've only lived here for 4 years, I'm sure you DO know the area a lot better than I do. Yet I feel like your response to me was uncalled for.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,836,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley.janel View Post
No, I'm unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on how much trouble I get into) sarcastic by nature.

I don't understand the need you feel to defend your thoughts against me, I haven't been on this forum very long and I wasn't talking to you to begin with. I was answering to the OP and you felt the need to post this long post in response to mine and accuse me of damning an entire zip code...which was far from the truth. I never claimed to have all the answers, I just speak of what I do know about the exact area (not the entirety of 77095) that the OP is talking about. I mean, I've only lived here for 4 years, I'm sure you DO know the area a lot better than I do. Yet I feel like your response to me was uncalled for.
You spoke negatively of an area that I've known for a long time, your opinions reflected what I personally deemed not entirely true about the area no offense, and then you suggest another part of town that you admitted you're completely unfamiliar with. I will admit I was actively arguing with someone else and was likely more agitated than normal, and for that I apologize for the aggressive nature, but regardless of tone, you gotta expect disagreement when stating an opinion in a public forum.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,923,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley.janel View Post

The things you have said about the area are just not true. Why are you surprised people are calling you out on it. I grew up in Copperfield and my parents still live there and you were completely wrong about the area being mostly apartments/condos/renters. The area is made up of several very nice master planned/subdivisions including Copperfield, Hearthstone, and Copper Grove.

I just can't see how you can find fault with that area. If you want to see what a declining area looks like just drive down Hwy6 past 529 in the Bear Creek area.

Hwy 6 through the Copperfield area is very nice.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,004,275 times
Quote:
Actually, it is pretty much the same at all public high schools in Texas. You could argue that the ones in the nicer neighborhoods also get some pre-k and better guidance so they do a little better, but by and large it's the same stratified groups of AP/IB and regular. Look, I never said Copperfield was a wealthy enclave of town, we're not trying to compare it to Sweetwater Estates or anything. The point of arguing with you was to disprove your notions of rapid decline or that the schools are average to failing. There are plenty of families who would love a nice house in the $150k-$400k range on a quiet street with decent public schools for their kids, and this location just happens to be convenient to their work or lives compared to other areas. I might have typed a lot about Copperfield, but please point to anything I've said that's been as remotely hyperbolic or false as the crap you keep trying to insinuate. BS is your game my friend; I just can't seem to help myself from coming down into the muck with you to dabble in it when you feel like condescending yet another part of town that isn't up to your standards in Sugarland. I mean who can blame you with all those gold-paven roads and fancy art-decco white and black lettering only strip-malls? Please let us all know what it's like there in paradise from time to time, if you don't mind.

Oh okay, and you're not trying to be argumentative at all with the above comment?
Again the stats in the schools back up everything I wrote. Every school from elementary to HS in Copperfield are showing a white migration and increase minority enrollment while at the same time lowering of test scores and increase in free lunches. There is no denying the makeup of the area have already changed.

You are writing the same BS over and over again.

There are lots of area within Cy-Fair schools district that have 150-400k houses with very quality school. This are where the people with families that USED to live in Copperfield have move to.

I keep bringing it up because people will move. You are saying otherwise, which is just not true. There are better locations to live if school matter.

I keep going back to the school is because the families that are generally higher educated and higher income will value good schools over mediocre schools. They will move first and thus your best students and all the PTA moms are gone, thus creating a downward spiral.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,800,191 times
Quote:
My opinion is rooted in living in the area for 20+ years; what's your opinion based on? Not to mention, you lost all credibility with me on the subject when you doubled down on the bs that Ipuck tried to claim. Would you use an area 2 miles away from another in order to describe that second area? Because you agreed to that line of thought a few posts ago.
didn't try to earn credibility with you. people compares areas that are blocks away, miles away, and even cities away all the time.

ipuck has owned you over and over with facts, stats, and links to back it all up.

I'll just leave it at that, no need to add fuel..

Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The things you have said about the area are just not true. Why are you surprised people are calling you out on it. I grew up in Copperfield and my parents still live there and you were completely wrong about the area being mostly apartments/condos/renters. The area is made up of several very nice master planned/subdivisions including Copperfield, Hearthstone, and Copper Grove.

I just can't see how you can find fault with that area. If you want to see what a declining area looks like just drive down Hwy6 past 529 in the Bear Creek area.

Hwy 6 through the Copperfield area is very nice.
What I'm surprised about is that you guys apparently can't get it through your thick skulls that I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ENTIRETY OF 77095!!!!! I'm talking about that strip mall, and the very area surrounding it. Is it a horrible and crime ridden area? No, there are definitely worse areas such as the Bear Creek area. Upon house shopping for over 2 months I can also tell you that investors are buying up all (and there were tons, and still a few going) the houses so they can RENT them to people, hence why I said apartments/condos/renters. As a matter of fact, I myself am a renter unfortunately. Not all renters are bad, but our landlord is horrible and don't think for a minute that I would drive over to Hwy 6 and West Rd and go spend money at this possibly newly opened business to make my landlords place be updated or of more value at all in ANY way. Most renters would feel the same way, or even worse some may destroy/devalue the property. Then the landlord will of course have to repair it to rent it out again but they will definitely look for the cheapest prices they can find. So this business had better be pretty darn competitive with other prices!!

Also, I live right along Forest Heights, there have been quite a few less than desirable people moving in here that weren't here 2 years ago. Loud bass thumping cars, cars driving through the neighborhoods like they're in a drag race, swastikas being painted on stop signs, recently someone started spray painting on fences, stop signs, and the green belt walkway. Not to mention the (not so) lovely art work that was vulgarly and explicitly decorated on children's toys at the park. Again, is it a horrible area? NO, I'M NOT SAYING THAT. However, there certainly are nicer areas, and this one isn't going to get better in MY opinion. If you think it will then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm entitled to mine and don't think I should be "called out" for damning an entire area when I simply wasn't doing so, I've only stated my opinion based off of what I've seen.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:10 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,275,472 times
As someone that frequently represents those investor-buyers, it is simply not true in this area. I wish it were easier to "buy them all up to rent them out" - but it has gotten more difficult, not easier. I really don't want the area to be that easy, because it would be a bad sign for the area - but we used to be able to snag one now and then. It's further apart now - prices have risen, homeowners are buying them quicker, less foreclosures by far. When we get one now - we are having to pay "retail", not "wholesale" (which is not preferable as an investor).

Of course there are quite a few for sale. Copperfield itself is about 5000 houses (not to mention Hearthstone, Copper Grove, Sheffield, etc. etc.) - there would be something wrong if people didn't transit in and out. However, 99% of those are homeowners, not landlords.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
As someone that frequently represents those investor-buyers, it is simply not true in this area. I wish it were easier to "buy them all up to rent them out" - but it has gotten more difficult, not easier. I really don't want the area to be that easy, because it would be a bad sign for the area - but we used to be able to snag one now and then. It's further apart now - prices have risen, homeowners are buying them quicker, less foreclosures by far. When we get one now - we are having to pay "retail", not "wholesale" (which is not preferable as an investor).

Of course there are quite a few for sale. Copperfield itself is about 5000 houses (not to mention Hearthstone, Copper Grove, Sheffield, etc. etc.) - there would be something wrong if people didn't transit in and out. However, 99% of those are homeowners, not landlords.
If it's not preferable, maybe the investors should purchase homes that need an investment...you know, a renovation. Flip the house per se, instead of trying to buy a home that's good to go already. Most of them are paying cash and their cash is more desirable to the seller than an offer that is going to be a loan and a drawn out process.
and 99%...I would like to see that proven lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston