Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 13,925 times

Advertisements

I used to live in the apartment complex right across the street from that Kroger. It's not a horrible part of town but it's gradually getting worse right in that area. I don't know much about the Champions area but you'd probably be better off over there, especially considering the general type of business you mentioned. If you were to do West/Hwy 6 you'd be around quite a bit of condos/apartments/renters so I'm not sure it would do so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley.janel View Post
I used to live in the apartment complex right across the street from that Kroger. It's not a horrible part of town but it's gradually getting worse right in that area. I don't know much about the Champions area but you'd probably be better off over there, especially considering the general type of business you mentioned. If you were to do West/Hwy 6 you'd be around quite a bit of condos/apartments/renters so I'm not sure it would do so well.
There are a ton of homes in that area near Krogers. There are a handful of apartments.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Guess I'm just thinking of the apartments that literally line the street of Easton Commons. Still, there are a lot of renters in the area and other apartments/condos here and there. I can't speak for Champions, as I said, I don't know much about that area, other than that the traffic is horrible...!! In that light, Hwy 6/West would be nice and close to major highways as another poster had mentioned, so maybe it would be a good area.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:48 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
What I avoided getting into earlier is that the area east of hwy 6 where you're describing is declining and partially was even during Copperfield's heyday. It is night and day between those sides of the highway. Additionally, why are you suggesting another area because you know this one and not that one? The bad neighborhoods near Champions south of 1960 have way more crime than the area you're describing, so how is that a better choice? I would agree that I wouldn't want to live in the section of Copperfield along hwy 6 near West rd, but that doesn't damn the entire zipcode.

What does concern me about that area is the number of apartments that are going up on hwy 6 on the south side of it as you go closer to 290 after west rd, specifically south of hwy 6 near where it connects with huffmeister, which could eventually bring the area down somewhat. I still would maintain that it would not be that close to west@hwy6 parts of Copperfield directly, and it would leave the homestock in the back of 77095 along Queenston relatively unaffected. What I do see negative happening from all that is that some of the retail locations along hwy6 may not do as well as they used to, as I suspect a lot of people north of fm529 and west of hwy 6 will start shopping at the nicer and newer retail centers along Barker-Cypress, Fry, and 290 access roads in Cypress, (zips 77433 and 77429).

So actually on second thought, OP, it is fine now, but maybe this strip center at west@hwy6 might have issues 10-15 years down the line, not from crime persay, but it likely won't be the it retail area for these suburbs. If you stay in this area, I'd suggest being in the shops at fm529@hwy6 as it will always be busy, or along barker-cypress or fry north of longenbaugh rd., or along 290 access roads west of barker-cypress rd, or at hwy6@290 since it's such a high volume area for traffic. For Champions, I'd consider being in the shops directly at 249@1960, or along Louetta Rd east or west of 249 (west would get noticed more). Now granted, some of the areas mentioned won't have the cheapest retail rent you'll find, but that's because they're either extreme high volume traffic areas and/or they're surrounded by nice upper middle class neighborhoods where there's plenty of disposable income to go around.

Last edited by curbur; 10-20-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 04:36 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Guess I'm just thinking of the apartments that literally line the street of Easton Commons. Still, there are a lot of renters in the area and other apartments/condos here and there. I can't speak for Champions, as I said, I don't know much about that area, other than that the traffic is horrible...!! In that light, Hwy 6/West would be nice and close to major highways as another poster had mentioned, so maybe it would be a good area.
Before you go knocking an entire part of town, it might be prudent to drive down the street. There are tons on low rent apartments on Wunderlich

There are $500,000 houses 2 blocks down the street.

Heaven will be a lateral move for the Houston apartment developers.

They build what they want, where they want.

And as soon a the carpet gets worn, the tenants all move to the newer one down the street. That is the way life is in Houston. There are low rent apartments all over the county. You cannot escape them. Most of the MUD's provide security so they can talk to the managers if the tenets are criminals.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Please explain how anything is changing rapidly as you put it; again, more hyperbole. I told you that I think the area will eventually decline academically already, as it has slowly slid since re-zoning, but even then there's nothing to indicate that the decline is rapid. As the homes get older, they will become less desirable than they are now, but currently and for the next 10-15 years it is not a bad area. Sure it's not as pristine as it once was when highway 6 was basically a bunch of fields around it, but it's nowhere near the way you're currently trying to describe it as. I never said the school was wonderful, I said it was adequate, but you want to turn every conversation about schools, housing, commercial property, etc. into a game of absolutes where it is either terrible and in rapid decline or it's the place to be. You see it time and time again in every thread you post on, not just on ones regarding this area or Champions.

Due to re-zoning, there are basically two separate groups of kids at Langham. There are the kids north of fm529 that go through pre-school and go to good elementary schools like Copeland and get proper guidance and end up in AP classes amongst 30 other kids they see in every other period, and then there is the rest of the school coming from south of fm529. There are a lot of schools like this, even in your precious Sugarland and surrounding areas of it.
I keep bring up school because generally it is the most important criteria most family would look at. The schools in Copperfield are all average at best. You can type all the BS you want, but the facts are there and the scores all show average across the board.

When school are no longer excellent, the families that value top notch education are generally higher income and better educated will move first to a better school, taking their higher disposable income with them. What are left are the retired folks and the folks that cannot move for financial reasons.

So what does that mean to the neighborhood? It is a cycle of rapidly decline with minorities moving in and the whites moving out. This has happen everywhere in the suburbs and will more than likely happen here also.

Now regarding the schools about 2 classes of people. This is definitely not the case in the better schools. That is my argument all along, most people would move to a better school, at least the family that can afford to. Why settle for average when your are paying the same amount of tax anyway?

When I took my kid to school the first day, I was shocked not one single kid lock their bike there. Maybe I am so used to urban living, but just nice to see there are nice suburbs where EVERYBODY is civilized.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
What I avoided getting into earlier is that the area east of hwy 6 where you're describing is declining and partially was even during Copperfield's heyday. It is night and day between those sides of the highway. Additionally, why are you suggesting another area because you know this one and not that one? The bad neighborhoods near Champions south of 1960 have way more crime than the area you're describing, so how is that a better choice? I would agree that I wouldn't want to live in the section of Copperfield along hwy 6 near West rd, but that doesn't damn the entire zipcode.

What does concern me about that area is the number of apartments that are going up on hwy 6 on the south side of it as you go closer to 290 after west rd, specifically south of hwy 6 near where it connects with huffmeister, which could eventually bring the area down somewhat. I still would maintain that it would not be that close to west@hwy6 parts of Copperfield directly, and it would leave the homestock in the back of 77095 along Queenston relatively unaffected. What I do see negative happening from all that is that some of the retail locations along hwy6 may not do as well as they used to, as I suspect a lot of people north of fm529 and west of hwy 6 will start shopping at the nicer and newer retail centers along Barker-Cypress, Fry, and 290 access roads in Cypress, (zips 77433 and 77429).

So actually on second thought, OP, it is fine now, but maybe this strip center at west@hwy6 might have issues 10-15 years down the line, not from crime persay, but it likely won't be the it retail area for these suburbs. If you stay in this area, I'd suggest being in the shops at fm529@hwy6 as it will always be busy, or along barker-cypress or fry north of longenbaugh rd., or along 290 access roads west of barker-cypress rd, or at hwy6@290 since it's such a high volume area for traffic. For Champions, I'd consider being in the shops directly at 249@1960, or along Louetta Rd east or west of 249 (west would get noticed more). Now granted, some of the areas mentioned won't have the cheapest retail rent you'll find, but that's because they're either extreme high volume traffic areas and/or they're surrounded by nice upper middle class neighborhoods where there's plenty of disposable income to go around.
I said myself that I know nothing of the Champions area, I'm not necessarily suggesting it, I'm just saying what I do know about the area that I used to live in and still live near, and that my husband works in. I'm not looking for a debate with you, or anyone for that matter. I still live in the 77095 area and I know there are nice areas of it. I'm not damning the entire zip code, however I don't believe that particular strip mall area is a good place to start up a business is all. But kudos to you for knowing everything there is to know about 77095.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
The area along HWY6 between 290 and 529 is really nice. Anyone telling you it's not has to be crazy or never been in the area or is thinking about a different area. The stretch of HWY6 that is a bit sketchy is from 529 down to Clay Rd. Anyone bringing up the 1960/Jones road is wasting time because that has nothing to do with the Copperfield area. That would be like saying Uptown is declining and using Westchase as an example. Two completely different areas.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Well, Ipuck, we agree.

Everybody In a district pays the same tax rate. Even the folks in the low rent apartments are paying the same rate. That it why I have always been a fan of open enrollment. Any kid in a district should be able to go to any school they want. With transportation provided. Lunch, too.

Consigning students to inferior schools because of their low income is just not fair. And it is institutionalized racism.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I keep bring up school because generally it is the most important criteria most family would look at. The schools in Copperfield are all average at best. You can type all the BS you want, but the facts are there and the scores all show average across the board.

When school are no longer excellent, the families that value top notch education are generally higher income and better educated will move first to a better school, taking their higher disposable income with them. What are left are the retired folks and the folks that cannot move for financial reasons.

So what does that mean to the neighborhood? It is a cycle of rapidly decline with minorities moving in and the whites moving out. This has happen everywhere in the suburbs and will more than likely happen here also.

Now regarding the schools about 2 classes of people. This is definitely not the case in the better schools. That is my argument all along, most people would move to a better school, at least the family that can afford to. Why settle for average when your are paying the same amount of tax anyway?

When I took my kid to school the first day, I was shocked not one single kid lock their bike there. Maybe I am so used to urban living, but just nice to see there are nice suburbs where EVERYBODY is civilized.
Actually, it is pretty much the same at all public high schools in Texas. You could argue that the ones in the nicer neighborhoods also get some pre-k and better guidance so they do a little better, but by and large it's the same stratified groups of AP/IB and regular. Look, I never said Copperfield was a wealthy enclave of town, we're not trying to compare it to Sweetwater Estates or anything. The point of arguing with you was to disprove your notions of rapid decline or that the schools are average to failing. There are plenty of families who would love a nice house in the $150k-$400k range on a quiet street with decent public schools for their kids, and this location just happens to be convenient to their work or lives compared to other areas. I might have typed a lot about Copperfield, but please point to anything I've said that's been as remotely hyperbolic or false as the crap you keep trying to insinuate. BS is your game my friend; I just can't seem to help myself from coming down into the muck with you to dabble in it when you feel like condescending yet another part of town that isn't up to your standards in Sugarland. I mean who can blame you with all those gold-paven roads and fancy art-decco white and black lettering only strip-malls? Please let us all know what it's like there in paradise from time to time, if you don't mind.

Quote:
But kudos to you for knowing everything there is to know about 77095.
Oh okay, and you're not trying to be argumentative at all with the above comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston