Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

267 posts, read 1,020,246 times

Advertisements

Below are some tips many people often don't think of to help ensure the new home you get is of lasting quality.

1. If you are moving into a new construction neighborhood or a fairly new resale, check the reputation of the builder. Even if the house you buy now is in good shape, the rest of the neighborhood could be a slum in a few years. For example, I saw a house a few weeks ago that had windows that were taped and not flashed, as well as no moisture barrier between the siding and the OSB board. If the rest of the houses are built like that, I will put money on that neighborhood having rot in the walls in the future.

2. If you decide you want to move into a certain neighborhood also make sure the builder is transparent- even on spec home or resale. There are builders I have dealt with that does not allow walk-thoughs, phase inspections or for you to ever (and I mean ever) talk to the guy who is building your house. The first thing you should do is ask the sales agent what their polices are on the previous issues. If they have such evasive policy's, politely and promptly leave their office.
The question is what are they hiding? Companies like this cut very important corners and do not stand behind their work. Remember, if the customer service is lacking before they sell a home to you, what is it going to be like once you own it and the problems that come with it? Something to think about.

3. Get your home inspected by and ASHI certified inspector. ASHI has the highest standards, more so than NASHI. If you are building, have them phase inspect the progress. If the company won't allow it, LEAVE! Evasive builders never build houses built to last.

5. Get a good Realtor and make sure you are dealing with someone that will represent you when it hits the fan. Someone who will go the extra mile. If the Realtor has their stuff together, they will help you avoid some of the landlines out there. Never deal with an online Realtor that gives a rebate or a kickback. The service is just lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
justin&sara,

I hate to offer unsolicited advice, but it may be a good idea for you and your family to consider renting for 6 months before you make a big commitment. That will give you some time to get a feel for the lay of the land and do some shopping around with (or without) a realtor. Check out Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation to get some ideas of what is on the market in the areas you are curious about.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,767 times
Spend more and go custom if you can afford it. Ends up being a better buy in resale and investment in the end.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
justin&sara,

I hate to offer unsolicited advice, but it may be a good idea for you and your family to consider renting for 6 months before you make a big commitment. That will give you some time to get a feel for the lay of the land and do some shopping around with (or without) a realtor. Check out Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation to get some ideas of what is on the market in the areas you are curious about.
This in my opinion is excellent advice. Do not rush into anything. Get educated before you make your decision. If anyone rushes you or tells you this is one of a kind, a great deal, run do not walk.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 961 times
Smile I love my home!

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I have lived in my home for two years now and I could not behappier. I bought it in 2012. I have nothad any problems with my home and I think it was built with great workmanshipand quality. All my neighbors and Ialways talk about how happy we are with our homes, in fact I was so impressedwith the builder that I talked my parent into buying a home from them in thesame community! I loved my sales personand the entire process. It was astressful process, but she helped to guide me through it every step of the way.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston