Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:19 PM

154 posts, read 196,127 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if I am overreacting . I noticed that a lot of mom's are feeding their kids during the lunch break in cornerstone elementary . I moved from another state where parents are not allowed during lunch break in the school .

Is it the case in all the elementay schools in Houston / sugarland ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:51 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
I am not sure if I am overreacting . I noticed that a lot of mom's are feeding their kids during the lunch break in cornerstone elementary . I moved from another state where parents are not allowed during lunch break in the school .

Is it the case in all the elementay schools in Houston / sugarland ?
And this bother you because???

Lot of the kids there don't like the school lunches and since lot of moms stay at home, might as well drop off the lunch as they don't have much to do in the afternoon anyway.

My wife eat with the kid once every week also as he is a picky eater.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:38 PM

154 posts, read 196,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
And this bother you because???

Lot of the kids there don't like the school lunches and since lot of moms stay at home, might as well drop off the lunch as they don't have much to do in the afternoon anyway.

My wife eat with the kid once every week also as he is a picky eater.

Don't take it other way , since both of us work, we do not have this luxury . The other day my kid was sad because I can't be with her during the break .Since the moms are with her friends she even can't have lunch with them .

We never had this issue in the other school.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I have lunch with my daughter at school about twice a month. It was also not uncommon at her school in Denver (where we just moved from). If you want to lose your appetite, just spend some time in an elementary school cafeteria......also, don't be surprised if kids you have never seen before hand you things to open without a word.

But, I can appreciate OP's point about her child being disappointed.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:07 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
I didn't even know this was done. As a parent having a kid starting elementary next year, I think it's pretty cool to be able to have lunch with them occasionally.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Apparently, you are a middle class family living in rich, cultural SAHM land. A quick look at HAR on the school and demographics the school is majority Asian. Men women, women stay at home thus mom is there M-F to bring $6 Chick-fil-a.

Teach your child to understand that you work and not to be so sad. I doubt your child is the lone child sitting at the lunch table because all 23 of his/her classmates are at special tables sitting with mom every single day.

They have muffins with mom and other things for you to come to and some parents especially in elementary try at least one a month to make it to a lunch. Or even drop something off just to show up for a few seconds keeps them happy for a good while.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:28 PM

82 posts, read 101,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Teach your child to understand that you work and not to be so sad.
Agree with this. So many kids don't even have their mom and they have to watch their classmates make mothers day gifts, etc. It's up to the parents to help their children deal with these things. The events/projects/songs that might make some kids feel sad or left out will always be there.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:41 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Teach your child to understand that you work and not to be so sad. I doubt your child is the lone child sitting at the lunch table because all 23 of his/her classmates are at special tables sitting with mom every single day.

They have muffins with mom and other things for you to come to and some parents especially in elementary try at least one a month to make it to a lunch. Or even drop something off just to show up for a few seconds keeps them happy for a good while.
Agree. In my experience doing this occasionally for the past 3 years, it is usually no more than a handful of parents (and often grandparents) at any given lunch period. And even SAH parents such as myself were only doing it here and there, not daily or even weekly. I've started doing it more because her school here in League City has a very nice indoor courtyard with bistro tables set up and it almost seems as though they encourage it.

I certainly don't think it's anything to be overly sensitive about, OP. Like DejaBlue says, there are plenty of opportunities to go to school events and activities to demonstrate your involvement.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:43 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
I think League City is different that Cornerstone. Tiger and Helicopter Moms abound in the Telfair area. I think it will do your child good to learn some independence and also socialize with the other kids. If they don't like school lunch, pack your own lunch the night before. Mommy won't always be there. To their credit, academically many of these kids will be top notch. Socially....not so much.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I think League City is different that Cornerstone. Tiger and Helicopter Moms abound in the Telfair area. I think it will do your child good to learn some independence and also socialize with the other kids. If they don't like school lunch, pack your own lunch the night before. Mommy won't always be there. To their credit, academically many of these kids will be top notch. Socially....not so much.

I know the Helicopter term but Tiger Mom?

That's why so many doctors are awkward as hell. They know what they're doing but the warm and fuzzy docs of yesteryear are no more.

Lunch, recess and specials are the times for kids to socialize with each other at school....not in the classroom. Especially lunch and recess to 100% talk about whatever they want.

These moms coming everyday if they do is a bit much and they need to cut the cord already. Take them to lunch after school. During school they need to be sitting with friends learning how to eat in a social environment not sitting stuck up under mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston