Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM

467 posts, read 1,187,410 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We signed with a contract with J.Patrick in July, paid our earnest money (check has been cashed) and have gone to our 1st appointment at the design center. With the economy/oil gas companies laying people off, we are worried that we won't be able to sell our house and that my husband's job may be unstable. Can we terminate our contract and get our earnest money back?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM

369 posts, read 845,000 times
As a buyer you have a Realtor, right? That's definitely a question for your Realtor as they will have read over the contract and will work with you and have your best interest. Do you have a finance clause?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
Hi All,

We signed with a contract with J.Patrick in July, paid our earnest money (check has been cashed) and have gone to our 1st appointment at the design center. With the economy/oil gas companies laying people off, we are worried that we won't be able to sell our house and that my husband's job may be unstable. Can we terminate our contract and get our earnest money back?

Thanks!
If the work has not started on the house, talk to the sales person. Generally these are non-refundable but if the construction has not started, you might give it a shot. I'm pretty sure the contract says it's non-refundable (that's pretty much a standard statement.)

Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM

28 posts, read 55,215 times
Non-refundable unless you have a darn good excuse. Husband actually loses job, job transfer, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

399 posts, read 642,917 times
Read your contract. Typically EM is to say I am serious and home or lot is taken off of the market. Just because you change your mind does not mean EM is refundable. Builder probably could have sold that home or lot to someone else. Or did you make it contingent on selling your home? If so this should protect some of your EM if you cannot sell.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,024,861 times
Not true. Every builder I've talked to will refund earnest money. It's the design center deposits and so on that you can't get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-towngreen View Post
Non-refundable unless you have a darn good excuse. Husband actually loses job, job transfer, etc.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,826,437 times
So you expect a business to take a lot off the market for 2 months, waste man hours and then just give your money back? No way.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 AM

28 posts, read 55,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Not true. Every builder I've talked to will refund earnest money. It's the design center deposits and so on that you can't get back.
I've worked for numerous homebuilders. Unless you are unable to qualify for the home, the builder can retain the EM. It really just depends on where you are in the process and how nice your builder wants to be.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,023,614 times
It's down to your negotiating skill at this point. I'd tell the builder that you don't want to buy the home and that your husband's job has become very unstable (just tell them he works for SLB, lol) and that it's very likely he will get laid off before closing, and they will be stuck selling an already completed home 6 months from now when the market will have already softened.

If you approach it right, and the builder is looking at the overall picture, they will let you out and refund you. OTOH, if they want to stick it to you, they in all likelihood can based on the boilerplate earnest money contracts all builders use.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM

556 posts, read 1,087,801 times
They won't be stuck with anything. If the buyer is going to back out, they can keep the money and sell the home to someone else. Any upgrades the buyer did to the home will have to have been paid for.

I just don't see a huge incentive for the builder to give the money back. The threat of a possible layoff isn't going to move the needle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston