Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM

292 posts, read 552,803 times

Advertisements

Did you guys put a contingency on the sale of your current home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM

467 posts, read 1,194,452 times
The only contingency for the sale of the current house was for 2 months...if we don't sell our house in 2 months, the contract will be void.

I re-read the contract, the option money is non-refundable...there's no mention of EM. We are in the very 1st step...the builder hasn't even priced out our options yet...nothing has been started.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Okay, so I guess it has not been two months yet, since your contract is not void and you haven't sold your home. If you want to not go through with it, then I would not sell your current house, and then when the contingency due date is here, the contract is void, and you should be able to get your EM back along with any other monies you have put in. I would hold off on any options selection if that is the case.

But in any case, you need to consult your Realtor for the best options you have for yourself.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 PM

556 posts, read 1,093,251 times
I'm confused. In the OP, you said your were afraid you might not be able to sell your house, but you have a 2 month contingency for that. Seems like you have that risk covered.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:14 PM

177 posts, read 203,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
If you want to not go through with it, then I would not sell your current house, and then when the contingency due date is here, the contract is void, and you should be able to get your EM back along with any other monies you have put in.
Not likely, but could get sued by builder for doing this as it is implied you'll make a good faith, reasonable effort to sell the current house.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
Not likely, but could get sued by builder for doing this as it is implied you'll make a good faith, reasonable effort to sell the current house.
In the legal world, "implied" means absolutely nothing. Its either clearly written or its not. Also, I'd like to see the definition of "Good Faith" and how they can prove that hasn't happen..

Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
In the legal world, "implied" means absolutely nothing. Its either clearly written or its not. Also, I'd like to see the definition of "Good Faith" and how they can prove that hasn't happen..
Actually, in the legal world, courts routinely apply a good faith requirement to contracts even if its not explicitly written out - you can't say you'll buy a house if your current house sells, then make absolutely zero effort to sell it. Proving it might be difficult depending on circumstances, but not necessarily impossible.

As I said, it is unlikely the OP would get sued as it doesn't make business sense, but it could happen. My broader point was that is poor form - you want the earnest money back, deal with them directly instead of trying backdoor shady tactics.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Actually, in the legal world, courts routinely apply a good faith requirement to contracts even if its not explicitly written out - you can't say you'll buy a house if your current house sells, then make absolutely zero effort to sell it. Proving it might be difficult depending on circumstances, but not necessarily impossible.

As I said, it is unlikely the OP would get sued as it doesn't make business sense, but it could happen. My broader point was that is poor form - you want the earnest money back, deal with them directly instead of trying backdoor shady tactics.
Irregardless of what you consider "poor form" it is a viable option. The OP was asking about options to get the EM back. I was just listing an option available to the OP. Given that the OP already stated their house would most likely not be sold, then the OP is already pretty much covered. As for dealing with the builder directly, others have already proposed that option, so I didn't see the need to re-list it.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Irregardless of what you consider "poor form" it is a viable option. The OP was asking about options to get the EM back. I was just listing an option available to the OP. Given that the OP already stated their house would most likely not be sold, then the OP is already pretty much covered. As for dealing with the builder directly, others have already proposed that option, so I didn't see the need to re-list it.
"Irregardless" is not a word. Cheers!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
"Irregardless" is not a word. Cheers!
Well, someone should inform the folks over at Merriam-Webster so they can remove it from their dictionary...

It is a non-standard word, yes, but, "irregardless" of that, it is a word..

Anyways, we are getting way off topic,

Back on Topic, OP, did you discuss with your builder about the issue yet? It seems like you are covered in either case.

Last edited by Hangster; 08-27-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston