Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 AM

672 posts, read 848,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demog View Post
That's the thing, no one goes to Houston for vacation or retirement. That's not true of other major cities like NY, LA, and DC.
Born and raised in NY....nobody in their right mind would want to retire to NY unless you're uber wealthy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 AM

951 posts, read 1,453,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Born and raised in NY....nobody in their right mind would want to retire to NY unless you're uber wealthy.

so true

I lived in Boston for 9 years and after moved to Houston

Overnight I felt like I got a raise 300%

Houston is that cheap or Boston is that expensive...

The hell with rents taxes and cold and history my a$%

I will take Houston with no history no art no nice scenes any day with 100 F temperature.

Any day anywhere. I wish I never saw Boston. I feel sorry for people living there... Disgrace to our nation.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
so true

I will take Houston with no history no art no nice scenes any day with 100 F temperature.

Any day anywhere. I wish I never saw Boston. I feel sorry for people living there... Disgrace to our nation.
I appreciate your resounding endorsement of Houston and rep'd you for it, but "no history no art" ?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM

657 posts, read 740,688 times
What does no nice scenes mean?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
What does no nice scenes mean?
I think he meant Houston not being scenic... And I'm sure you knew that.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
I didn't realize Houston was such a hated city.

I honestly think the hatred for Houston is mostly a white people thing. Minorities tend to love it here and it typically ranks within the top 10 among best places for Asians, Blacks and Latinos/Hispanics.

That's been my observation anyways.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,000 times
Im a white person I love houston. People who lividly hate houston dont live here. They live in cypress, tomball etc. most dont even work in houston. Thats my experience

Also some other texans that only ever go to cypress or tomball. relative in austin was all smug and surprised asking where id be in the area on a boat....

Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
so true

The recorded history of Texas and Houston doesn't go back as far as that of the New England area and Boston of course, but it's full of battles, adventures and quirky characters. And if you think Houston doesn't have art, I'll be happy to give you a list of museums, galleries and public art installations that range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

As far as scenery goes, you need to get away from the big city! There's undeniable beauty in a pink sunset over the Gulf of Mexico or rolling central Texas fields covered with bluebonnets.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Im a white person I love houston. People who lividly hate houston dont live here. They live in cypress, tomball etc. most dont even work in houston. Thats my experience

Also some other texans that only ever go to cypress or tomball. relative in austin was all smug and surprised asking where id be in houston on a boat....
Well I never said all white people, but generally they're the ones I hear speaking negatively of Houston, especially here on CD. I think white people have may have a higher standard when it comes to living conditions. Whereas with us minorities, we're not that impressed by mountains, ocean view, beautiful scenery, urbanity, etc

Those things are great, but I think for the most part, we don't consider lacking those things as deal-breakers.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM

872 posts, read 828,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Well I never said all white people, but generally they're the ones I hear speaking negatively of Houston, especially here on CD. I think white people have may have a higher standard when it comes to living conditions. Whereas with us minorities, we're not that impressed by mountains, ocean view, beautiful scenery, urbanity, etc

Those things are great, but I think for the most part, we don't consider lacking those things as deal-breakers.
How do you know the race of a person on a forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston