Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times

Advertisements

But apparently Forbes, Business Insider, smithsonianmag, The huffington post, and many others didn't get this memo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 10:24 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
Who?
The only people I hear saying that are some of those who:
- have little to no experience there, or
- live in some far-flung suburb

I'd love to hear the exceptions...

Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 PM

657 posts, read 740,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Who?

Word of mouth goes a long way. People come for work, live an hour outside of downtown, have no idea where to begin exploring the city, move and tell others how boring and crappy it is.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times
I always fine there is one person you can't escape which is yourself. If a person is a whiner, boring, and like to complain. No city on earth will be a good fit. You can enjoy any place on earth if your soul or self is trained.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Who?

I guess this isn't an exception but many inner loopers tire quickly of the bar-restaurant-museum-shopping-homelessness-crime thing after a certain point. And move to a suburb to put down some roots. Many long time natives complain about about their once eclectic neighborhood turning corporate yuppie too.

Which leads me to why some people complain... There is very little room for creativity here. Almost everything is corporatized which makes it feel like there is no heart and soul. Big players here are oil/gas and medicine. I don't think you can get anymore soulless than that.

Other reasons newcomers complain? most of it has already been listed here. But let's be for real here. Demographics in a largely blue collar port city. You can read other message boards that aren't as censored and that is a huge complaint. If you don't leave your inner loop or suburban bubble you won't understand.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I guess this isn't an exception but many inner loopers tire quickly of the bar-restaurant-museum-shopping-homelessness-crime thing after a certain point. And move to a suburb to put down some roots. Many long time natives complain about about their once eclectic neighborhood turning corporate yuppie too.

Which leads me to why some people complain... There is very little room for creativity here. Almost everything is corporatized which makes it feel like there is no heart and soul. Big players here are oil/gas and medicine. I don't think you can get anymore soulless than that.

Other reasons newcomers complain? most of it has already been listed here. But let's be for real here. Demographics in a largely blue collar port city. You can read other message boards that aren't as censored and that is a huge complaint. If you don't leave your inner loop or suburban bubble you won't understand.
This is exactly what lives around me. Quite a few people in my neighborhood are ex-inner loopers that just had to get away from it all. Several only lived there for a year or so before it was too much.

I've heard horror stories.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Houston is not as hot as people say
I lived in Kansas City and St. Louis and both of them are just as hot and humid as Houston in the summer.
Except that up there an average January day is 40F high 20F low.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post

Houstonians are honest. If you have the same problem in Dallas or Atlanta, they will deny it exists to outsiders. That's a strength. Problems get raised and usually dealt with.

And Houston isn't a big tourist city. So you get a lot of people talking about it who know nothing about it. Its funny how often people talk about Houston being dry (image of Texas and tumbleweeds).

One reason many newcomers in the 80s complained is they came from smaller towns in the Midwest where they were making union wages and came for less money and big city prices and traffic because there were no jobs back home. It was a culture shock. The ones from Michigan were notorious for complaining.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,000 times
I love the weather here. How can people live in dry heat? Yuck.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Way too hot (and not just in the summer) and too flat, no mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston